RC Qualifier

Ultimate Hex Mod

We are all sick of stripping hexes. It's one of the worst feelings, because you know the work and money involved in removing the tire, buying new wheels, just to do it again. I have been gluing my hexes in and it worked until this week when I finally stripped one. Other's have turned to upgrading to 17mm, but that's not cheap and wheel selection is limited, not to mention modding the wheels and/or tires. Here is my solution, which only takes 15 minutes or less for all four.

One stripped JConcepts Rulux, a 12mm hex and an M2x6mm cap head screw.

Using a 5/64 bit, drill a hole through the side of the hex perpendicular to the pin notches (see last photo in post). It must be slightly forward of center.

Screw in your cap head screw just until you see it poke out in the hole. You want it flush on the inside.

Using an exacto or box cutter, notch your wheel hex. Smaller is better. It's easier to widen it as needed. Go all the way down to the flat part inside the hex.

Insert your newly modded hex. It should sit flat in the wheel. Use an L wrench if you need to tighten the screw down a bit. Just make sure it's not sticking out in the hole. You could put another screw on the opposite side for extra strength and security.

*THIS MOD MAY NOT WORK WITH ALL WHEELS
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 06-18-2013 at 11:31 PM.

RC Champion
    That's a pretty creative method to solve the problem. How long have you been running with that mod? The problem I'm having with my pede is that the only wheel attached to a metal mip hex is the only one that strips.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Very creative indeed. And the MIPs are the problem creators on my Pede too. Maybe get some 1/16" screws instead of the 2mm ones.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    Will definitely use this and experiment on my talons. Thanks

Just a thought, but could you put in 2, 3, or even maybe 4 screws in to make it stronger?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    You can only put in two or you may interfere with the pin notches. I guess you could if you were very careful. Honestly, one is very strong. The screw would have to tear through all that plastic to fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 06-19-2013 at 11:32 AM.

I wonder how much it effects the balance of the tire/rim,,,two screws 180 from each other might help balance it out a little.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    The screw is so light and its so close to the center, it has no effect in my testing. The wheel spins without wobble and the trencher is so heavy that I cant see it impacting the balance. Two screws is probably ideal, but I'll keep testing with one.

Sent from my phone.

Dude awesome mod but I would use two screws 180 degrees apart just so its bulletproof and even the weight out.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Genius. If there were a 'Like' button it would have been hit.

RC Qualifier
    Couldn't you just Glue them in?

RC Qualifier
    You can, but you'll have to do that before the hexes are rounded. This is for after they are toast.

RC Qualifier
    These were glued in. They lasted a couple months and then stripped. You can do this mod with new or stripped hexes.

Sent from my phone.

And if you do both they will be even tougher again...........peace

RC Qualifier
    wow i just did this mod to four of my wheels and it was extremely easy to do. i'm so happy i don't have to unglue the wheels and go through all that.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    After more testing, I recommend two screws per wheel, especially for high powered motors.

Sent from my phone.

I am planning to buy tekno ft shafts. Not sure if their hexes with the 6mm inside diameter are metal? Will there be enough material for the screw to grab???

Like the mod!
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    The included hexes are plastic. You can buy aluminum Tekno hexes. The plastic hexes are a hair smaller than traxxas unless they changed them. They are very easy to strip. I usually drill out traxxas hexes to 6mm.

While this mod works. I think its better suited to new or unstripped hexes and wheels as a preventative. On some completely stripped hexes, I tore the screw out of the hex during a big bash session. I will try to drill and tap aluminum hexes at some point. I also want to try the wide rustler hexes since those should give more meat for the screw to hold onto.

Sent from my phone.
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 07-06-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks for the tips dude I thought two would be the magic number.......peace

RC Qualifier

Doing this mod with some cheap aluminum hexes. Drilled out to fit my 6mm tekno axles. They came with grub screws, but I replaced them with short screws. Just have to remember to pick up some epoxy tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RC Racer
    briandee that turned out nice!

Dude give us a review after a few runs I would like to know how it turned outMy epoxy rubber resin with aluminium hex mod is still working but as so as it fails I am going to do this mod..........peace

RC Qualifier
    I'm waiting on a few parts to come in. I just switched to Tekno axles with their 17mm adapters because I was tired of stripped hexes. However, there are not many options in wheels and tires in the stock size. Once I get the rest set up I will report back on durability.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the idea, I've done this on the rear wheels on my pede, has been great for about 5 3s packs so far. Don't think i'll be switching to 17mm anymore