RC Competitor

P4de w/ MMP -- strange issue with servo, rx, or esc ???

This is a new one for me.....

I was cruising around the yard with my son who also has a p4de. We ran for 10-15 minutes before my truck stopped responding. I have the MMP2400, stock Tx/Rx and stock servo. I did some trouble shooting and here are the symptoms:

-- Truck will turn on and Tx binds to Rx (even did the re-bind procedure). ESC blinks and chirps normal.
    -- I can throttle forward and backward without a problem, but the second I turn the wheel, the ESC blinks all three lights and the chirps sound low and crackled. the truck does not respond to throttle or steering.
    -- Shut off truck. Turn wheels by hand to far left or right position. Turn truck on. The wheels reposition to center. Try to run... throttle is fine; try to steer, same problem.
    -- With truck on, if I move the wheels by hand, when the wheels are at center position, the ESC blinks and chirps normal. If I move the wheels slightly off center, the ESC emits the same problem. Reposition back to center, ESC is back to normal (can throttle forward/backward.. try to steer, same problem).
    -- Disconnect servo from Rx. Turn on the truck. Throttle is fine. Try to steer, ESC / throttle are normal (obviously no steering, but figured trying to send commands to the Rx may emit the same problem).

This was all done on a fresh 2s after rebinding the Tx/Rx.

I have no idea what the issue could be. Anyone have an idea?
    p4de mmp2400 - stock p4de - wraith

Sounds like a bad servo to me. Swap the servo out of your son's truck or any other servo you may have just to test it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you servo is bad, does it overheat or hum?, if it works good with the servo unplugged there you go...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    you servo is bad, does it overheat or hum?, if it works good with the servo unplugged there you go...
    i was thinking it was the servo too, but considering how it quickly repositioned to center (without sign of difficulty) when powering on, it had me a bit puzzled. i'll pull the servo out of my son's and give it a try tonight.

RC Enthusiast
    So...what happened?

RC Competitor
    It sounds to me like you are having brown outs. I had this problem as well with the stock servo. It usually went away the next day, but it was very annoying. From my research, I believe that the servo is drawing too much power from the ESC's internal BEC, causing the ESC to malfunction/brownout. The BEC is the battery elimination circuit, which outputs power to your radio and servo. A glitch buster might help a little, but when your servo wants more than the BEC can give, your best option is to get an external BEC, which can supply more power to your servo. This doesn't usually happen with the stock servo, but it can if you have big wheels and your ESC's BEC is weak. The first thing I would do is swap out the servo for another one as there could be something causing it to draw too much power. If this doesn't work, try an external BEC. You might also find that a glitch buster might help.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    So...what happened?
    I wanted to report back last night, but my wife had other plans for me: entertaining the 1 and 4 year old kids while she went shopping. I'll try to do a quick test over my lunch hour.

RC Competitor
    Finally reporting back...

I plugged in the servo off my other p4de and everything operated fine. Plugged back in the other (bad) servo and the issue represented itself. So, I'll have to dig back a few months and find the servo thread and get something ordered. I'm just glad it wasn't the MMP.

Well its cheaper that is was the servo and not your mmp dude they do a rebuild kit part number 2072 if that helps.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!