RC Enthusiast

Shredded clutch bell

So if you run a steel spur gear, or are thinking about getting one, watch out for this. It apparently wasnt the mesh like a thought it was, ended up being i had my slipper set to tight. ha some how i had an extra clutch bell so i can still drive tomorrow. but dang this is just nasty.

RC Qualifier
    If you run a steel spur gear, you have to run a hardened clutch bell as well. Otherwise,^^^^^will happen every time.

+1 Your regular stock clutchbell will not hold up to a hardened steel spur gear...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor
    so after this how does the spur gear look???

RC Competitor
    I'm running a RR 19T cb with a stock 54T spur......no problems yet. Which I run the slipper slightly loose. I play in mostly diRt.
    Last edited by diRt_JATO; 06-18-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: modification

RC Enthusiast
    Well the spur gear looks like this no problems at all. my slipper is super loose now, cuz i dont wanna do it again. However if i get the money i will probably buy a hardened CB just to save some time and worries down the road.

RC Enthusiast
    And just for some of my own knowledge, anyone out there that is running a steel spur gear. What clutch bell do you have and how many turns out from fully compressed is your slipper? just curious
    "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

RC Qualifier
    The problem with running a hardened steel clutch bell and spur is the next weak points in line are inside the transmission. BUT, I have an all steel driveline from the clutch bell to the wheels and couldn't be happier. Haven't had anything break, strip, or twist yet and I guess I'm about as rough on these things as you can get. I have no mercy.

Oh yea, I keep my slipper tight enough that it will only slip under extreme loads, but I use different slipper pads than anyone else. So my slipper applications don't really apply to anyone else.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 06-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    to set my slipper I always set it loose....so it WILL slip, then gradually turn it in until its at the desired point. If it stops turning (all the way tight) back it out an 1/8t or so. Like Mark said, if you run it all the way tight, with hardened gears, next it'll be your trans. Robinson Racing makes a good cb and in a lot of sizes. http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html#

Quote Originally Posted by IdriveAjato609 View Post
    my slipper is super loose now, cuz i dont wanna do it again.
    The slipper setting will not save the stock bell from being eaten by the hardened steel spur. With a perfect mesh the stock bell may last for a while; if its not perfect, it will look like the bell in the 1st post in short time.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Enthusiast
    I know for right now it seems to be doing fine, i ran it quite a bit and all seems fine for now. however im sure after a while it will look like the first one and if so i may be a new hard cb or buy a nother stock one and go back to the plastic spur gear. rather replace those then destroy something else more expensive in the drive line.

RC Competitor
    I agree....thats why I run the stock plastic spur gear. I have another just in case, but haven't had to use it yet. Its been a year and a half.

The Spur is hardened steel the stock CB is not.... If you are going to use a steel spur you need to get a hardened steel CB and that won't happen...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up going down to my LHS and bought a couple plastic spur gears. When they are as cheap as they are id rather burn through those then burn through clutch bells or pay the extra money for them.