RC Competitor

Let the upgrading BEGIN!!! probably will need some help :)

So all my parts (most of them anyway have arrived.. still waiting on sway bars, and big bore shocks.)
    I want to get start hopping this thing up.

Here is a pic of the parts im putting in.
    Ive never done anything like this before, im anxious to get started..
    I will likely ask here for help a lot.. please bear with me.

Im most concerned about how to hook up the tenshock to the ESC etc.
    I need to find those gold connectors from ESC to motor too.. or i could direct solder the wires frmo the esc to the motor.. there is enough wire.
    Thoughts on how I should go about this thing?
    thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-13-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Language

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes you can solder the wires directly, what Esc is it, does it has soldering post? Tape the tires with gorilla tape before glue them, loctite the MIPS, and let them dry for 24hr, what motor is it, what kv?
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 06-13-2013 at 08:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    tape wires before glue? why would i glue wires?
    hobbywing sc8 esc with tenshock 3800kv motor

and the wires on the esc are inside the unit hard soldered, then long 8 inch leads which i assume can just go directly to the motor. they are all black though, so i have no idea of color match

RC Competitor
    already running in to issues.. motor is too long, i have to trim the screw where the old ESC fit in to. and there are no mounting hardware pieces on the new ESC... man... this is going to suck, im never going to get to run

So im going to drill a new hole in the esc mount, further in to catch that second ESC mount screw hole...
    ive sanded off the end of it so the motor will fit. and now i have to sand down the furthest left esc mount hole to accomodate for the tenshock motor.

stop me anytime
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-13-2013 at 08:54 PM.

RC Competitor
    so i rebuilt the slipper clutch assembly with new pads etc bearing adapter thing.. when i tighten it doown shouldnt i go as tight as i can, then back it off 1/4? nothing spins if i do that.

so im trying to solder my esc wires to my tenshock motor (gold leads) and the solder isnt adhering... am i using the wrong kind of solder>??? is there such a thing?
    I am going to hit the LHS tomorrow for a traxxas connector for battery (stupid esc just had lead end). so i can get a new thing of solder if it matters.
    regardless it isnt sticking.
    thanks
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    He was saying to tape the tires. You should just cut off the old esc mount and double side tape or velcro the esc to the chassis. For that motor I would back off the slipper closer to half turn. You shouldn't be able to turn anything on the spur assembly by hand

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Slaughter33; 06-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.

RC Competitor
    yeah i did back it off about a half...
    i ended up getting it to mount with the stock mounts.. dremel etc...
    motor is mounted and good to go with paper method.. perfect...
    now im trying to solder the motor wires on, but have the issue above.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Esc wires doesn't have an specific order, if the motor goes backwards, just switch wires, clean the surface, apply some soldering paste if you have it makes the solder to stick better to the surface, is the soldering melting? What type of solder are you using ? I use 60/40 from RadioShack.

RC Competitor
    ive never heard of soldering paste. but i can go pick some up tomorrow.. no idea what kind of solder it is. its old.
    but yes, its melting. i put some in that crevace where it goes and it is just loose, not adhering at all

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That combo never failed to me, it is called soldering paste flux. It can be any brand just to have you an idea. The type of solder you using matters I tried diff types and this is what worked better for me, and the only one I use. Make sure the tip of the iron is clean.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/R...213159/Cat/114

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/A...148574/Cat/785
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 06-13-2013 at 10:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    so can you buy paste at Home Depot or lowes ? i know i can get the solder there. i notice the link you sent was kholer, not sure if that would be a specialty store purchase.
    thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it can be from any hardware store, RadioShack, lowe's, Home Depot, any brand also

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't solder wires directly into the ESC but use the connectors compatible with the motor connectors if they have them if not go buy some bullet connectors.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    already running in to issues.. motor is too long, i have to trim the screw where the old ESC fit in to. and there are no mounting hardware pieces on the new ESC... man... this is going to suck, im never going to get to run

So im going to drill a new hole in the esc mount, further in to catch that second ESC mount screw hole...
    ive sanded off the end of it so the motor will fit. and now i have to sand down the furthest left esc mount hole to accomodate for the tenshock motor.

stop me anytime
    I would use double sided tap/Velcro to mount the ESC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtalaue View Post
    I wouldn't solder wires directly into the ESC but use the connectors compatible with the motor connectors if they have them if not go buy some bullet connectors.
    why not to solder the wires directly? connectors just create resistance, have them directly is the best way.

RC Competitor
    so the esc hass the wires coming out of it, with 10 inches of lead to go to motor... so its already in there factory done. its the soldering on the motor itself i have to do .
    thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    why not to solder the wires directly? connectors just create resistance, have them directly is the best way.
    I would prefer having connectors is all. I've seen people solder their wires directly to their ESC and if not done right it could really mess up the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    When matching the esc wires to the motor, the industry standard is from left to right A-B-C, with the connectors facing you.

http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...IPPING%29.html (second pic)

Same with the esc wires facing you. A-B-C, I hope this helps. One other thing, before soldering the esc wires to the motor directly, I've heard its recommended to shorten the wires to 6", due to current ripple effect.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 06-14-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

I agree direct soldering is the best choice resistance-wise, but soldering on connectors gives you the option of changing out the motors at a later date.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    link is not working
    also, i think i want to do bullet connectors. i bought some in case i do

by left to right connectors facing me, i am guessing that blunt end of the motor to me, and the pin (whatever its called away from me)
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-14-2013 at 02:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    brain fart
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-14-2013 at 04:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    brain fart
    Yep, you got it. Are the connectors solid or birdcage? That motor can pull 155 amps, so the type of connector will make a difference. Just trying to avoid doing it twice.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    im not sure what you mean by solid or birdcage.. are you talking the nuts that go over the tires ? cz im using MIP axels too

RC Competitor
    ok.. after about 6 hours of work I now have things mostly done.

Front and Rear Sway bars - check
    Front and Rear MIP axels - check
    Front steering hubs - check
    Front steering knuckles - check
    Front and Rear Big Bore Shocks - Check
    Rear Steering Arms - Check
    RPM A arms throughout - check
    Clear Gear cover - check
    15 tooth Pinion gear - check
    King Headz Motor Mount - Check
    Tenshock sc401v2 3800kv motor - check
    Integy Heatsink and Fan - check
    Hobbywing sc8 ESC - check
    17mm Hexes - check
    3.2 Revolver rims - incomplete
    2.8 trencher tires - incomplete

And with these upgrades ive went from Noob to something not noobish.. I could tear this thing down in my sleep. I like to know my cars inside and out... so im glad i finally do.

I notice when i roll the truck now there is a grinding coming from the motor. is that because its a 4 pole vs my vxl? or is that something to be concerned about. there is no slop in the gears.. its coming fromm inside.

That said.. im at an endpass. I cant connect the integy fan to the Hobbywing because the hobbywing is using the connector.. and the 3 way i bought doesnt fit everything... The lead from the ESC is quite short and i fear 1 screw up and it will be toast.
    So thoughts?

Also. i have the 17mm hexes, but there is no hole in the MIP axels to accomodate the pin needed to connect them in before putting in the grub screws... Thoughts?

Secondly. Ive never programmed an ESC or linked it to a radio or any of that before..
    Can someone assist me with that? With my hobbywing tenshock combo i got a programming box, but i have no idea how to use it.
    I want to program my traxxas 2.4ghz tqi radio (stock) to work with this hobbywing setup.
    can anyone through me a bone? thank you
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-15-2013 at 01:32 AM.

RC Competitor
    nm on the 17mm hexes.. realize i dont need the pin.. rest of the stuff im lost on

RC Qualifier
    im not sure what you mean by solid or birdcage.. are you talking the nuts that go over the tires ? cz im using MIP axels too
    These (link) are solid connectors, connect your esc wires to the motor wires.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Connector-Set

These are birdcage also referred to as banana connectors. Notice the male connectors are hollow.(click on pic to enlarge)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Male-2-Female

Links are for reference only.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    ok. so i think im 99% of the way there.. only real concern now is the heat sink fan.. which i started another post for.

its late here so I cant go racing this thing up and down the street, but i took it for one 15 second run around the wet backyard. just to see if she ran ok.
    Once you give it gas its fine, but the problem is when you barely pull the trigger it grinds. you can see the pinion gear just kind of shaking... is that normal from a 4 pole? it seems normal when its up to speed.
    basically appears to be standard cogging . i think i went to a 14 tooth pinion gear in there, which isnt a big change. stock spur gear.
    What should the timing be on the ESC? i think i took the default value

thoughts?
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-16-2013 at 12:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    ok. so i think im 99% of the way there.. only real concern now is the heat sink fan.. which i started another post for.

its late here so I cant go racing this thing up and down the street, but i took it for one 15 second run around the wet backyard. just to see if she ran ok.
    Once you give it gas its fine, but the problem is when you barely pull the trigger it grinds. you can see the pinion gear just kind of shaking... is that normal from a 4 pole? it seems normal when its up to speed.
    basically appears to be standard cogging . i think i went to a 14 tooth pinion gear in there, which isnt a big change. stock spur gear.
    What should the timing be on the ESC? i think i took the default value

thoughts?
    That also happens to my Castle Creations motor because the magnet is so big it doesn't take off smooth but when you give it more throttle that issue goes away.

Its called cogging man and there's nothing to worry about and I hope you are loving the new setup dude tenshock rocks.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    yeah i researched it a little.. most places say its a sign of something bad

Heading out now to check some stats run it a bit. i hate having to program the ESC between 2s and 3s lipos.

RC Competitor
    ok initial thoughts. HOLY CRAP!!!!. id estimate in the 55mph range. tons of torque.. in fact i stripped something.
    Thing ran cool (only got to like 130 F) but i didnt run it SUPER hard.
    Tire came off midway through (i havent put on my 3.2 revolver/trenchers yet. still trying to figure out if i want to grind em, or cut the tires like that one guy did.

So right when i was about to head in i floored it.. and bam . SPINNING. its either the pinion/spur gear or the drive shaft. Hex on the tires arent stripped

UPDATE - looks like the spur gear got partially stripped... I did the paper trick adn there wasnt any slop in there. not sure what happened.. i dont think the motor shifted. although the alignment looks off.. gotta take it apart.
    so it appears as though the motor moved or something. Not sure how to avoid that in the future.. its pretty tight... right now if i turn the spur gear it barely catches the pinion and scrapes along the top.

1 run on upgrades and 1 broken part... hmmm you guys are prophets
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 06-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Get a new motor plate and just make sure its all tight and see if the small bearing on the slipper shaft is not binding.I love my tenshock its so strong and the torque is sick dude.......peace

RC Competitor
    so why would i need a new motor mount? this is brand new... ????

also, just put it back together and took it out... the spur gear is mostly fine, just some small chips out here and there.. i think it translated to a pretty grindy sound especially when no throttle is applied...
    does that make sense?
    so i need to go buy another 54 tooth spur gear huh?

RC Qualifier
    The stock motor plate is a little thin IMO. Strc motor plate and blue loctite on the motor screws and it won't go anywhere. I loctite my pinion as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    the motor screen that screws in the area between the motor and the battery pack? isnt that a metal to plastic where the loctite wouldnt do any good?
    also... i already could barely fit my ESC in there . if i buy a thicker motor place i may be in more trouble.. ill look in to it though

RC Qualifier
    No there is a motor mount and a motor plate. Loctite the screws that go through the motor plate into the motor itself. The STRC plate is probaby only 1mm thicker, but doesn't have any flex.

RC Competitor
    ok.. i ordered one of those last night... i dont think i loctited those this last time.
    so if there is any damage to the spur gear it needs a new one?

RC Qualifier
    you dont have to get a new one. i have run many times on a damaged spur with no issues, but it will run and sound better.

Its worth getting a new one even if you don't use it straight away dude and as slaughter said it will run and sound much better.....peace