Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Monster Jammin: An Upgrade Story

Bought a MJ Grave Diggerpede for the kids and I to enjoy, now every time a little yellow envelope comes in the mail I get a scowl from the wife. Oh well, it's fun and we enjoy it. The 1st or 2nd pack in, we cartwheeled about 10 times and snapped a caster block, and that's where the upgrade addiction began:

First I made little aluminum skids to keep the plastic from scarring:

Then I upgraded to an Integy IFA Tranny Case (yeah, it's Integy AND it's a nicely made unit):

Installed with no problems at all, and the gears meshed perfectly:

Front and Rear Aluminum Skids:

Close up of Trans:

Grave Digger Parts/Tool Bin:

Gorilla Tape:

RC Qualifier
    Making the Slash front bumper work:

Just came in the mail:

More Updates to follow. I have parts showing up Monday!

RC Champion
    have fun buddy, just make sure you do not end up on the couch. I finally convinced my other half that this is the only hobby that I really have. Gone are the days at the pub, boys night out (yester years) , weekend fishing expedition (at least once in a while as a family ...cool).
    So now I get to spend a little here and there...she still frowns but its all balanced..eeheh
    The greatest thing is that I got it for the kids, ended getting 3 RC, 2 actually are been modified slowly....first one is up and running (my small project), the other is on the way...and 3rd just stock for now. Tweaking, enjoying with them is just priceless
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Our stories sound really similar. Friends are acquaintances now, and all I make time for now is family. And I only have two hobbies: custom PC's and now RC. RC is actually cheaper than pc parts so she is ok with it.

Anyway, on with more pictures shall we?

Mounted STRC Bulkhead:

Front is about done. Waiting on front skid/servo protection:

The STRC skids are too nice to cover up, so I made a Lexan skid:

Still waiting on RPM rear arms, VXL camber links F/R, and 40wt shock oil.
    Coming in a later upgrade package will be rear Teknos, black RPM motor guard/wheelie mount, JConcepts Tense front wheels all around with Mashers mounted, Big Bore shocks, a 1967 Ford F150 body from Parma, and finally a Velineon brushless system.

RC Qualifier
    You should look into some camber and steering titanium links by Lunsford. They have different sizes and kits available for different models. I chose the 4mm size. Lifetime warranty also. Great looking truck by the way!

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I think it's coming along nicely. I have VXL camber links coming Monday, but I've heard good things about Lunsford, if I have any breakage, I will look into them. I can't wait to get my Teknos.....in about a month. Boo.

RC Qualifier
    How are you making those skids?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingDad View Post
    How are you making those skids?
    1/4 inch Lexan plastic sheet and a Bridgeport Milling Machine. With a 1/2 inch 4 flute end mill. Lexan is very easy to machine. It's some crazy tough stuff too.

RC Qualifier
    Front Lexan skid is done. This one took a while to do right:

RC Qualifier
    Very impressive.

RC Qualifier
    lexan is some tuff stuff and easy to cut, nice machining work on it, truck is looking very sharp nice work!!
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    lexan is some tuff stuff and easy to cut, nice machining work on it, truck is looking very sharp nice work!!
    Thanks guys.

I love this thing. It's really nice that you can replace every piece with an assortment of parts from 10 different vendors. Sweet!
    Last edited by Ramsey77; 06-16-2013 at 02:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hid my servo wire and added some padding to the battery compartment :

RC Qualifier
    that looks real clean Ramsey, I like it. Not sure how that wire is ran under the pad but I would run it along one of the corners tack it couple spots of hot glue not in the middle little vibration with the battery sitting on it against the chassis may cause some wear to the wires even with that little pad in there...just a thought, but it looks sharp.

RC Champion
    You do some very nice custom work, sir! Every once in a while, we get some pede owners on the forums who really have that eye for detail. Keep it up!

RC Competitor
    This is awesome for some ideas for my own fleet of Stampedes.
    Stampede4x4,NitroStampede,GraveDigger,SUADigger

RC Qualifier
    that looks real clean Ramsey, I like it. Not sure how that wire is ran under the pad but I would run it along one of the corners tack it couple spots of hot glue not in the middle little vibration with the battery sitting on it against the chassis may cause some wear to the wires even with that little pad in there...just a thought, but it looks sharp.
    Yeah, I thought of that too. I will keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    You do some very nice custom work, sir! Every once in a while, we get some pede owners on the forums who really have that eye for detail. Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJerd View Post
    This is awesome for some ideas for my own fleet of Stampedes.
    Thanks fellas.

RC Qualifier
    RPM arms f/r, front bearing carriers, STRC caster blocks, bulkhead, skid plates, VXL camber links f/r, homemade lexan skids, Integy IFA Tranny, and Dubro Klip Keepers. Tekno rears are next. And I have some 40wt shock oil on the way.

RC Qualifier
    That truck is looking slick man ....keep it up

RC Qualifier
    That truck is looking slick man ....keep it up
    Thanks Timber. Ordered a set of JConcepts Tense wheels, and 4 Masher 2k's tonight from RC Planet. Here it is as it is now. I will update this post with the after pic:

RC Champion
    your strc rear skid looks a lil different from mines

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I wasn't real happy about it either. The picture on eBay showed one exactly like yours. This is what I got.

RC Champion
    wow! that sucks man. still a nice build tho bro.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    wow! that sucks man. still a nice build tho bro.
    Thanks man. I just ordered my rear Teknos to go along with my wheels and tires. Next is a body (67 F100), some Fasmask, and some Tamiya paint. Black, Park Green, and Silver. Going to keep the Green theme, but preserve my GD Body. It'll be a nice wall-hanger. I think when I get my garage built in a few weeks, I am going to try to teach myself the art of the airbrush. I've seen some SICK paint jobs in my travels through the interwebs.

The body I want:

RC Qualifier
    That's a nice build you got going on. I'm not a fan of green but it looks very nice.
    I may have missed it, but how did you "hid" your servo wire?
    Keep up the nice work!

Here a link to my build, http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...uot-build-quot
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    That's a nice build you got going on. I'm not a fan of green but it looks very nice.
    I may have missed it, but how did you "hid" your servo wire?
    Keep up the nice work!

Here a link to my build, http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...uot-build-quot
    There is a thread around here somewhere with that mod, but I can't find it now. I just took a Dremel and carved little holes in the tub's structure and ran the wire under the battery, then it comes up through a hole in the speed control mounting plate into the side of the water proof receiver box. I just dremeled a tiny bit so the lid doesn't crush the wire, but the box still water tight. Now I wish I would have taken pictures!

Edit: And I have been through your build already. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey77 View Post
    Bought a MJ Grave Diggerpede for the kids and I to enjoy, now every time a little yellow envelope comes in the mail I get a scowl from the wife.
    I know the feeling. She sees the ups truck coming and assumes its for me.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Still looking good....where did you find the 67 f100 body I like it alot I was looking at the old proline ford body...but I like that style one but all I can find is a chevy one and I cant do a chevy lol

RC Qualifier
    Still looking good....where did you find the 67 f100 body I like it alot I was looking at the old proline ford body...but I like that style one but all I can find is a chevy one and I cant do a chevy lol
    That pic is not my truck, just the body I want. http://www.rcplanet.com/Parma_1_10_6...p/par10103.htm

RC Qualifier
    What's the best hex hardware bolt kit to buy? And do they come with the hinge pins? If not, what are the best hinge pins?

RC Qualifier
    The STRC hinge pins are great. I don't know about the hex hardware kits. I've seen links to a few of them, but I've been buying mine piecemeal through the LHS.

RC Champion
    yup , I purchased a couple of them they are great

Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Are they hex on the head end?

RC Qualifier
    Yep. I do add a washer on the rear a-arms using those pins, but I don't think it's a necessity, I just like it tightened up. It could also be a side-effect of the proline kit. Either way, those pins are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey77 View Post
    That pic is not my truck, just the body I want. http://www.rcplanet.com/Parma_1_10_6...p/par10103.htm
    That's a good looking body, I think. It's always a little hard to tell until its painted.

+1 on the STRC hinge pins. I put them on all my 2wd trucks. Get the TRX c-block screw to go with it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    That's a good looking body, I think. It's always a little hard to tell until its painted.

+1 on the STRC hinge pins. I put them on all my 2wd trucks. Get the TRX c-block screw to go with it.
    I have STRC caster blocks. Will the c block screw still work? Can I get a part number if ya got it.

RC Qualifier
    That screw will comes with the TRX aluminum caster blocks. I used that instead of the STRC pin for the caster (I actually don't remember my STRC kit coming with a pin that fit the caster block).

You can see the screws included the caster block here.

Edit: It looks like these are the ones from STRC
    Last edited by WorkingDad; 06-20-2013 at 11:16 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Mail came:

RC Qualifier
    I bought the wrong kit. Everything will work except for the dog bones. They are way too short. Anyone know the part number for the correct length ones?

EDIT: Nevermind. Part number TKR2210, which costs another $19. Bummer man. They will be here Wednesday next week.
    Last edited by Ramsey77; 06-21-2013 at 01:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    lol ramsey know how you feel been there and done that.... imagine most ppl have oh well just some extra parts for the shelf