RC Enthusiast

Gear reduction for my Stampede crawler / trail truck

I wanted to try something different and after reading a few posts here about using the Stampede as a crawler I thought I'd do my own take on it. Pretty much everyone agrees that normally this truck can't be geared low enough so I did a bit of research on crawlers and found some people using an airplane gear reduction unit on their trucks for a larger reduction ratio.

The one I read about was the GD-600 by ElectriFly

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSL79&P=ML

For $15 bucks I thought I'd give it a try. The only modification I had to do is enlarge the center hole on the motor mounting plate and clearance the GD-600 to clear the mesh adjusting screw. Since the output of this drive is 5mm, you will also need to get a 5mm pinion if you don't have one already.

I also got the optional 3.8:1 gear to lower the standard 2.5:1 the unit comes with.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTG41&P=M

With a 13 tooth pinion and a 56 tooth spur this lowers the overall gear ratio to 46.5:1 versus a 12.3:1 without the reduction unit. Final speed is just a bit faster than I can walk.

I have only ran it about an hour so far but I'm really pleased how it turned out and using a no-name brushed motor I got from a surplus store it has plenty of power and runs cool over all types of terrain.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    WoW that's awesome man! Can you post a video? Thank

RC Racer
    very interesting, video please!

Quote Originally Posted by makuloco2000 View Post
    very interesting, video please!
    X2!!!

What are you doing with the diffs?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I'll bet you could pull stumps with this thing. You could also go large and soft with the tires now that you're geared so low.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I'll bet you could pull stumps with this thing. You could also go large and soft with the tires now that you're geared so low.
    I was thinking that Badlands with memory foams would work well with that setup.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I made a couple more changes, mainly the shocks. I put back on some ultra shocks I had with softer springs and moved them to the inner holes on the arms and furthest out on the shock towers. This gave me a lot more wheel travel but also caused my Tekno axles to fall out at full droop. So I scrounged around to find enough good parts to make a set of stock sliders and put them on. To answer Greatscott's question I have the rear diff locked but the front one is till open. I was thinking of ordering Hot Racing diff spools and build an extra set of diffs to switch out.

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=SSLF125;c=480

Here are the raw videos. Not my best driving but trying to balance the controller and my phone while still keeping the truck in frame is harder than it looks, especially when your trying to pick a decent line to approach obstacles.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/tr...7056c.mp4.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/tr...195e0.mp4.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/tr...06cb6.mp4.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/tr...c03be.mp4.html

RC Champion
    I can't get the videos to work. Can you YouTube them?
    / 16

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone else having trouble with the links to the vids? I tried them and they seem to work fine for me. These are the first ones I have tried to post so I could be doing something wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    More videos:

I tried linking these different so maybe they will work better for everybody.

RC Champion
    I did a similar mod some time ago, but instead of a gear reduction just installed a 55 turn crawler motor and locked the diffs with silly putty.

Crawled pretty well. I was also considering making some swapping diffs. But guess what: Now i got a Summit and kept my Stampede 4x4 is for Hard Bashing.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 08-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Update:

I played around with the camber links after doing some research and if you use the outer holes on the shock tower and inner holes on the carriers the Tekno axles wont drop out. Using these mounting points shortens the top link and increases camber gain. This probably has a negative effect on handling but for the slow speeds I'm running it shouldn't bother anything. The drawback is at full droop the top of the wheels are pulled in a lot more which looks weird but it is just enough to keep the axle shafts in the cups.

I also used washers to shim the bevel gears in the differential and filled them with the heaviest diff fluid I could find at my LHS. I had the larger Teflon washers on the output shafts to try to tighten things up but this also had the effect of pulling the drive cups in too so I took some extra 3mm washers (Traxxas 2746, same washers that are on the back of the top shock mounting bolts) and put one on each side of the cross shaft in the differential between the bevel gear and the case. The result is a really tight and notchy diff action because the gears are forced together so tight. It acts like its locked until one tire gets in a bind and will slip only after you give it enough throttle.
    Last edited by Trapper; 10-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Wow dude that's an awesome truck and the suspension travel is just crazy for a pede........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    What size does the shaft on the motor need to be, to be compatible with the pinion that comes with the kit. Is it 5mm as well or will a 3mm stock Velineon brushless system fit. What 32p pinion are you running on the 5mm output side of the reduction unit.
    Last edited by Myriad; 10-09-2013 at 09:57 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    The motor pinion will work with anything that has an 1/8 inch shaft so it should fit ok. Only the output shaft is 5mm. I'm running a 13 tooth pinion there because that was the smallest I had at the time. There should be enough adjustment to go larger or smaller if you wish.

RC poster
    Where did you get the 5mm pinion that meshes with the 32p slipper gear?

RC Enthusiast
    I don't remember where but most places carry them. It was most likely my LHS or Tower Hobbies. If I had to recommend one I would say get the smallest one Traxxas makes, I think it is the 14 tooth 32 pitch part number 5640. That's the one I run with my Castle Creations setup and found because it is a hardened steel it holds up much better in sand and grit than other brands. The other problem I've found with other manufacturers is a lot of the time the teeth are narrower than the spur and won't make full contact all the way across the width. Just my opinion but I think this does matter. From my experience I have gone through less spur gears using a pinion that's as wide as the spur vs one that doesn't contact the teeth all the way across the width of the spur.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome truck man. Suspension setup is nice!
    Big Air Don't Care