Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Which Traxxas for 6 year old boy?

My son is turn 6. I know he'd love to have an RC car/truck that he can take with us to the beach or out in the woods. Which Traxxas model would you recommend?

Here's our wish list:

1. We'd like it to be electric.
    2. We'd like it to be as durable as possible since I'm sure we'll have plenty of accidents with it.
    3. It needs to be able to go in sand and dirt and grass.
    4. We'd like it to be pretty fast.
    5. Hopefully less than $250?

Any recommendations for an online site to buy one?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Gonna be a little tough to fit that bill. At first I was gonna say Pede 4x4, but 250 or less will be used. If you have to have new maybe a brushed Pede 2wd, and convert it to brushless down the road.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    Or get closer to the $300 mark and get a Merv
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Competitor
    I will say to look into the 1/16 brushed e-revo or 1/16 brushed summit... You may find any of those 2 for under $250 online and new... Rcplanet.com has them both but they are sold-out... Try getting your budget to $350 and you will be able to get any of the those 2 but in the VXL brushless... Try going for the summit... Specially since you mentioned the forest... It will go over tougher terrain easier than the e-revo...

Both of these rcs are very light... So your 6 year old should be able to carry the, without a problem... Do some research on both of these models... Watch videos... That way you can know what they both are capable of... But if you can try and get the VXL version of the model of your choosing... Less drama and more fun!
    Last edited by Sinuhe_0123; 06-14-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Welcome to the forums! IMO, I would get a Monster Jam, or a Stampede.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Yea my vote is with a Stampede too. Durable, fun, cool... what more could you want.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    IMO pick a favorite Monster Jam model....perfect for a beginner and within the budget. Plus they look really big and really cool to a 6 year old!

RC Qualifier
    IMO stampede Monster Jam!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Welcome to the forums! IMO, I would get a Monster Jam, or a Stampede.
    You're almost there in getting your own AVATAR

RC Champion
    My vote is the stampede. Fun, cheaper, easy to work on, and hard to break.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

I would recommend a 2wd Pede or Monster Jam truck. The size will be easier for your son to handle and they are much more simple than a 4wd truck as far as maintenance and repairs go. They are also much closer to your price range than a 4wd truck will be.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    My 6 year old has a 1/10th Digger and loves it. Buy a new motor as well as the stock one doesn't last 5 minutes

RC Qualifier
    I'd go with the slash 2wd brushed edition, good to start off with and can upgrade to brushless when ready, it's pretty quick, not big like a monster truck so it'll be easier to keep it on all 4 with some suspension adjustments, it was good for me on all terrain especially after upgrading tires and last it's right around the 250$ range

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    I'd go with the slash 2wd brushed edition, good to start off with and can upgrade to brushless when ready, it's pretty quick, not big like a monster truck so it'll be easier to keep it on all 4 with some suspension adjustments, it was good for me on all terrain especially after upgrading tires and last it's right around the 250$ range
    This ^
    You can pick up a 2wd Slash for just over ~$210. It's durable, easy to work on, and TONS of part support. The left over money could go towards a few upgrades that are bound to be needed (Shock towers if your jumping often, castor blocks, bearing carriers). The 1/16ths are great, tons of fun but they do have difficulty going through long grass, compared to the Slash anyways. The Stampede is great truck, just a little slow out of the box (due to big tires, high GC and geared). Rustler and Bandit are basically the same, I had a Rustler for my first RC and I loved it. Bandit isn't favoured as much due to the fact, IMO, you can't race it... and tires are too small for bashing in grass and stuff... It shines on-road. Of course, you could always buy some wheels and tires and get it setup for off-road, but I find it no 'wide' enough. Then again, you can do a wide mod too lol.

So, I suggest either a Slash 2wd or a Rustler. BL systems drop right in. Both are durable and have a lot of part support... and a blast!
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    Get a brushed rustler. Best beginner's traxxas car ever.
    Easy to drive
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    dont get a 1/16 they are not good for beginners, my pics would be the stampede 2wd, monster jam (cause what 6yr old boy doesn't like those) I bought my 4yr old daughter one, with that said it is very durable especially with the stock motor it does roll over a little bit but my girl loves to run and flip them back over (not sure why I dont complain as she flips mine over too ) these will run thru the gravel grass and pavement dirt really well need different tires for the sand. Or I would get a rustler, they dont flip as easy but they wont go thru the grass as easy unless its cut short pretty much the same for the slash. So pede, monster jam, rusty, or slash 2wd xl-5s and your good to go man. by the way your an awesome dad buying him a good rc that you can update and fix instead of a cheap one from a dept. store!!! way to go

Edit: and check tower hobbies out they are good and look for their discounts codes on the home page, usually like 20 off $200 or free shipping etc.. oh make sure you get 2.4ghz transmitter not a 27mhz with it so you dont have a long antenna to get broke (wish I would have thought of that one ahead of time lol )
    Last edited by Timber211; 06-16-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    2wd stampede
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    dont get a 1/16 they are not good for beginners, my pics would be the stampede 2wd, monster jam (cause what 6yr old boy doesn't like those) I bought my 4yr old daughter one, with that said it is very durable especially with the stock motor it does roll over a little bit but my girl loves to run and flip them back over (not sure why I dont complain as she flips mine over too ) these will run thru the gravel grass and pavement dirt really well need different tires for the sand. Or I would get a rustler, they dont flip as easy but they wont go thru the grass as easy unless its cut short pretty much the same for the slash. So pede, monster jam, rusty, or slash 2wd xl-5s and your good to go man. by the way your an awesome dad buying him a good rc that you can update and fix instead of a cheap one from a dept. store!!! way to go

Edit: and check tower hobbies out they are good and look for their discounts codes on the home page, usually like 20 off $200 or free shipping etc.. oh make sure you get 2.4ghz transmitter not a 27mhz with it so you dont have a long antenna to get broke (wish I would have thought of that one ahead of time lol )
    My Rustler (was originally a Bandit) can go through grass no problems, all it needs is to slap on some 2.8 or 3.2s and she's ready to go through anything.

RC Qualifier
    I agree my bandit hits grass well just meant with the stock 2.2 they bog down a bit depending on the height of the grass just trying to give him idea of what the stock would do, so he knows what to expect ...all can be modified to go thru about anything lol
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Enthusiast
    Try a traxxas emax u can get A good on eBay or Craigslist for around250

Sorry Kaydog emaxx is a big investment and is way too complicated for a 6 year old. I would stick to the rustler or pede, monster jam models seem to a big hit with young kids. Pede platform is capable, durable, and a performer.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Enthusiast
    Wait how is that complicated my cousin is6 and she can do it and they don't really go fast enough for him to damage it unless he gets a 60 battery and I got mine for 275

RC Enthusiast
    Well they go about 35 with 2s

Try working on a E-Maxx, then a Pede. Then you'll see why the E-Maxx is too complicated. Stampede all the way.

RC Enthusiast
    Wat about a slash or rustler

Wat about a slash or rustler
    They are great too, and I'd look at getting them also. It's just the Stampede is the most capable IMO.

Out of the box the pede is the besy choice IMO. It is definitely what I would start any kid on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RC Competitor
    My 6 year old is a surgeon with her Son uva digger, and my 11 year old has been bashing her Grave Digger since she was 9. pede MJ edition...all day!
    Stampede4x4,NitroStampede,GraveDigger,SUADigger

RC Qualifier
    Rustler or stampede. Both are durable and can program esc for beginners and grow into it. Simple to fix also

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Champion
    Stampede is my first choice. Daughter loves her Monster Mutt.
    MT Slash
    Stampede
    Stampede 4x4
    1/16 Erevo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasbrothers View Post
    My Rustler (was originally a Bandit) can go through grass no problems, all it needs is to slap on some 2.8 or 3.2s and she's ready to go through anything.
    If I'm buying an r/c I don't even think about grass haha it's the most boring and pointless surface to run on, I'd rather run on pavement, not going to lie the 1/10ths look bad with 2.8s but I don't like how temps go up

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    If I'm buying an r/c I don't even think about grass haha it's the most boring and pointless surface to run on, I'd rather run on pavement, not going to lie the 1/10ths look bad with 2.8s but I don't like how temps go up
    Gearing, gearing, gearing. Oddly enough my Rustler has no problems with 3.2 badlands.

RC Qualifier
    I know about gearing and temps I'd rather just run regular shortcourse tires since all I run is scts for bashing

RC poster
    Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I think we are leaning towards a 1/8 or 1/10 size since I've heard most people like the larger size.
    Still trying to decide on brush vs brushless and 2 vs 4wd.
    Stampede or Summit maybe...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX_traxxas View Post
    Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I think we are leaning towards a 1/8 or 1/10 size since I've heard most people like the larger size.
    Still trying to decide on brush vs brushless and 2 vs 4wd.
    Stampede or Summit maybe...
    OK Dont think I'm crazy but I have 6 full size summits for my son, son in laws and all the grandkids. They range from 6 to 12. I let the younger ones run in low speed or training mode and we have a blast with them. The advantage for you is you can then run it and go anywhere you want. I know they are way more money but you might find one used. I cant believe the things we have done and they are almost indestructible. Have fun no matter what you select.

IMO brushless is the best way to go. You can gear down or tone down the esc with training mode, or any combination of both. Also running smaller cell counts helps. The vxl will last longer and I believe you will be happier in the end with it as well as your child, since you can increase the speed as you see fit so they won't outgrow it anytime soon.

RC poster
    Hi PDX,
    I will advice you to search on internet and check eBay as they offer discounts. I have bought many things from eBay on discounts and found eBay products reliable and comparatively less in price than others.

For rc's I have found the market place to be the cheapest if you are patient.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The 2wd pede is a perfect platform to learn on. It is not complicated at all compared to any 4wd traxxas stuff, for both you and your son. The monster jams will bug his eyes out. When your ready, show him the models available, let him choose, and buy it on the spot...Christmas in July.

Now what you need to do:

Get alum c-blocks: The stock(and aftermarket) plastic ones flex or break, and bend the steering kingpins in ft end hits. The aluminum ones cost between 15 and 30$. Traxas, STRC, and Hot Racing have been flawless for me.

Google "Titan 12T maintenance:
    You will have to break the motor in before you run it. You will also need a 16 tooth, 48 pitch pinion(not sure if it comes with one that size). Care of this motor is key. Running in dry dusty dirt will have you cleaning, then oiling the motor every bashing day. Running in a paved parking lot will have you doing it much less often. Heat is the biggest threat to this motor. Gearing low and giving it time to cool between runs is very important also.

Get an RPM Stampede wide front bumper. It is much wider than stock, and is a front end shock absorber. It will help deflect crashes away from the front end parts. This is the biggest money saver you can buy. It costs 10$ or so.

Use the esc's training mode for the first day to week or so till he gets a handle on stopping IN TIME.

Check all screws and bolts for tightness.

The stock nimh battery packs will be fine for this motor, but you may want some extra stock ones for longer driving sessions. They can be found here in the marketplace forums, or on ebay for cheap. The wall charger is junk(sorry traxxas). Get a charger that can charge lipos also as funds allow. Hyperion and traxxas are all I can vouch for, but the cheap China chargers have cost me 130$ in battery packs ruined because the cheap China charger overcharged my batts.

I know there is a lot of info here, but you may need many of the answers above as you go. For 50 bucks you can get the alum c-blocks, the rpm bumper, and an extra battery or 2. With the list of things for care of the motor above, and him learning not to hit stuff before you take it out of training mode, the Stampede will be tough enough to handle a 6yo.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucel View Post
    Hi PDX,
    I will advice you to search on internet and check eBay as they offer discounts. I have bought many things from eBay on discounts and found eBay products reliable and comparatively less in price than others.
    accident & sickness insurance