RC Competitor

difference between slayer and revo tranny case

Ok, I have a revo I converted to a slayer, it already had a 2 speed forward only tranny in it. I opened it up and it had the revo primary gearset in it. I want to put the slayer gearset in it, but looked on the diagrams and the part number is different between the revo and slayer. Anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks
    Slayer Pro,Nitro Rustler,Jato,Slash 2wd,Slash 4wd.

RC Competitor
    i switched gears from slayer to revo no problems

RC Competitor
    I have read it will work, but the tranny case part numbers are different and I am trying to figure out what the difference is. Huh?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    final gears are the only difference.

RC Competitor
    I seen that in the schematics, but the transmission case part numbers are different, therefor something is different on the tranny case. I am trying to figure out what.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidh8 View Post
    I seen that in the schematics, but the transmission case part numbers are different, therefor something is different on the tranny case. I am trying to figure out what.
    case are the same the only thing I can think of is that the older case don't have a mounting holes for rear brake.

RC Competitor
    Ahh, set that makes sense. I don't know what case I have now, it came on the Revo, forward only. I think it has the mounting holes for the rear brake. Gotta check. Thanks

RC Competitor

Here is the rear if the case

RC Champion
    The Slayer case is molded to clear the larger diameter output gear set. You can use a Slayer tranny case in a Revo, but not the other way around.

You could gear the Revo tranny low enough to be used in a Slayer, but you would be stuck with a wide ratio second gear set, and the smallest spur gear combined with the largest clutch bell. Even then, your top speed would be slower than a stock Slayer.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

Quote Originally Posted by Oomp View Post
    The Slayer case is molded to clear the larger diameter output gear set. You can use a Slayer tranny case in a Revo, but not the other way around.
    that's what I thought at first but, upon looking at it closer they're both the same to me. I'd like to see a picture of yours.

RC Champion
    Use the search function in this forum, and you will find the comparison pics you seek, along with the same answer I gave. The question was brought up years ago, in regard to the original Slayer tranny, when people were attempting to do the same conversion as the OP.

Besides, you didn't say what aspect you looked at closer, the case, or the gears. Looking at the cases, you would have to look close to see the difference, because it is just a bump on the case (to clear the gear), not a large difference. If you looked at the Revo output gears (drive and driven), next to the Slayer output gears, it would then be obvious.
    Last edited by Oomp; 06-13-2013 at 11:59 PM.

i'm guessing the original slayer tranny case were different from the newer ones? it seems to me with both tranny cases from a newer version 3.3 can fit either way. that's what I experienced with mine, I can swap gears around.

this is my RR wide ratio with 28t/28t final gears on revo 3.3 case.

Yep the tranny cases are different. Actually only 1 half of it is anyways. The half closest to the front of the truck while the tranny is installed is the half that is different. I didn't notice it either until I bought a replacement for mine. I bought the Revo case but wasn't completely bummed because the half I needed wasn't the one that was different.

The top primary gear is the difference between the 2 trucks. The Revo has a smaller primary gear (28tooth I think) to accommodate the larger tires vs the Slayer primary gear which is larger I can't remember the tooth count but I think it's around 38 or 40.

I had to replace my case because I used one of the junk aluminum output shafts and it snapped in like 2 seconds. Then my grub screw stripped in my steel drive cup and I had to destroy the one half of the case to get it out so I could put it in my vice and drill it out. Yeah that was a fun day.

The Revo case number is 5391X and the Slayer is 5391R.

RC Champion
    Yes, you can swap the Revo tranny gears back and forth, between the Revo and Slayer transmission cases. You cannot put Slayer gears into a Revo tranny case though. CarGuy described it correctly.

One (just one) of the Slayer gears is physicaly larger in diameter than the Revo transmission's gear. This gear is the drive gear of the primary gear set (the output gear set). Where, in your photo you show (and point out) a 28/28 gear set, the Slayer has a 33/23 gear set. There is not enough room, for this physicaly larger gear (the 33 tooth gear), inside the Revo tranny case. Although it is only 5 teeth, the gear is larger in diameter. It's the old '10 gallons of ..... in a 5 gallon bucket'. It does no fit, because there is not enough room for it. They have not made any changes to the Slayer cases. The Slayer Pro uses the same case as the original Slayer. Since the Revo drive gear is physicaly smaller in diameter than the Slayer gear, the Revo gears will obviously fit in a Slayer case.

The Revo and Slayer transmissions share all of the other internal and external parts, except for the output gear set that we (seems like just I) are talking about. The Slayer case will bolt into a Revo chassis. The Revo case will bolt into a Slayer chassis. Like CarGuy said, you can put the front half of a Slayer case onto the rear half of a Revo case. You can also put the front half of a Revo case onto the back half of a Slayer case (and you would have a Revo case).

However, you could be correct, in that the current Revo 3.3 case is also the Slayer case. Because, that would be the only scenario that would allow the Slayer gears to fit a Revo tranny. CarGuy gave the part numbers, so that is not the case (no pun intended).
    Last edited by Oomp; 06-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.

RC poster
    Hey fellas,I just did the revo to slayer deal and my revo came originally with reverse,if you look up my last post you can obtain the necessary part numbers for the final drive gears,without them the truck will run like a tractor,as for the case it is different,the slayer final drive gears did not clear the case,I had to clearence (the case not gears) mine in order for them to fit,it sounds cheezy but it has worked fine even with the big block I have installed,if i were to do it again i would just purchase the slayer case.You should check out ckeithnitro on this site,he has a wicked slayer!He pointed me in the right direction and I'm sure he would do the same for you.Good luck!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the replies. I found me a stock slayer tranny on ebay. Just bought that instead of trying to convert the revo tranny, it was cheaper. Now I will just have the revo tranny as a spar, lol. May ever try it out on different tracks since it takes like 5 minutes to swap out. I appreciate all the replies on this.