RC poster

Motor locking up?

I am wondering if any one knows why my motor will lock up while driving slow. No rocks and if you try pushing the car it feels like the brakes are on slightly. You can still easily push it but it has resistance. Then I just turn off and turn back on and it's fine?

RC Champion
    Sounds like the esc is doing something weird.

RC poster
    Kind of scary when your 1,000 car stops in the middle of the road and you have to run to get it before it gets ran over, and then almost die because you have not been in the best of shape lol

only done this twice both at slow speeds. would you guys recommend updating ESC with the castle link. could that help?

RC Champion
    Yeah, sounds like ESC issues. A firmware update / reload would be the first thing I would do.

Just to make sure, the ESC isn't going into thermal protection, is it?

RC poster
    I don't see how, yesterday I just left the house drove it for like one minute slowly down the road and it did it. was not hot at all.
    the fan seems to work well it kicks on when hot and fan will stop when I bring it in doors and it cools off.
    unless it thinks it is for some reason idk?

RC Champion
    What does the LED on your ESC do when this happens? Anything abnormal? I would definitely check the settings through Castle Link. Let us know.

RC poster
    I just noticed when pushing the car backwards the spur gear was not sounding smooth, but kind of jerky. pushing forward seemed ok. so I took a look at the spur/pinion gear and for some reason it got out of alignment just a little. nothing big its just not centered perfectly anymore. I don't know what shifted but it looks like the pinion got pushed a little closer to the motor because now there is room between the pinion and the shock spring. where before it would slightly rub when shock was fully extended. car still ran fine and smooth don't see how this could do anything but I wont run the xo-1 until I get that back aligned correctly. I have a 25t pinion coming today I was going to wait till that comes in and then pull the pinion and re-align everything again and I guess put more loc-tite on the grub screw so it does not move again.

I never looked at the lights on ESC when it would lock up, I always kept the body on and just turned it off then on.
    next time I will be sure to pull the body off and see what the lights are doing and let you guys know.

RC Champion
    Make sure to check the cush drive, motor mount and all to make sure everything is secure and no excessive play. Make sure the pinion is locked down good as well.

RC poster
    Ok did it again twice yesterday's, I am happy to say I almost hit a 100mph. 99mph to be exact oh well she ran good and did not want to flip so I was excited about than. So I got a chance to pull the body off and it was beeping fast with all three lights blinking together. Don't know what that means. Any ideas?

RC Champion
    I'm not sure but they shouldn't be doing that. I would call castle or Traxxas.

RC poster
    Ok, my radio started acting weird and finally would not connect, so I tried to rebind and the tqi would not give me the solid red light, and could not get it to bind. grabbed my summit tqi pushed down the set button and turned on and got the red light and it bound perfectly. took it out all day no issues. so it looks like it was the tqi radio that was defective.

RC Champion
    I'd be willing to bet it's a receiver issue. Call Traxxas and see what they'll do.