Thread: Broken bearings

RC Competitor

Broken bearings

Hello a few days back I Was going to change my stub axle, but the bearing wouldnt come off the end of the
    axle thats in the rear axle carrier. I checked the bearing and all the ball in the bearing Was melted
    And my gress is that it is the same with the rest of the bearings (most Logic reason for them melting is
    that I have never cleaned them)
    But I Was wondering what bearing upgrades you have on your trucks.
    Is it cheaper to get all the traxxas slash bearing induvidally or getting a cheramic bearing kit?

RC Qualifier
    Go with boca bearings...they are pretty cheap and an awesome bearing

I would get some Avid bearings! They are higher quality than the stock Traxxas bearings, they last longer, and they are only $1 per bearing! You can order an entire bearing kit from Avid that will replace every bearing on you truck. I've had the full bearing kit on my Summit for over 5 months now, and I haven't had any issues with them. Even in mud, dirt, dust, and water they work perfect! Here's a link. http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/

Here's a link to the full bearing kit.
    http://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=2...name=Slash+4x4
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    +1 for Avid

RC Champion
    I use nothing but AVID and their SLIDE bearing grease.

RC Racer
    I've toasted bearings in my axle carriers many times. I have used Traxxas stock. Now im going to try this Avid bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Stock up on centre drive bearings, I've tried a few different brands but nothing yet has held up long term on the centre drive (slipper or centre diff) bearing.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Qualifier
    lol stay away from rcscrews bearings they are a waist of money trust me

RC Competitor
    Thanks! I Was thinking of getting them, but not now

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Team arsy car View Post
    Stock up on centre drive bearings, I've tried a few different brands but nothing yet has held up long term on the centre drive (slipper or centre diff) bearing.
    After a year of bashing dirt only I service bearings every 10 to 12 packs. Recently I have had the devil rear his ugly head with my KH bearing so I service it alone after every bash session. And it is usually packed with dirt every time more than all the rest.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    After a year of bashing dirt only I service bearings every 10 to 12 packs. Recently I have had the devil rear his ugly head with my KH bearing so I service it alone after every bash session. And it is usually packed with dirt every time more than all the rest.
    +1 Steve, I see you have helped with my pain regarding this bearing in my other thread, I thought after upgrading to the larger bearing all would be good, but as you say, maintain the centre bearing and that devil with the ugly head won't appear and destroy your new motor mount.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on Avids! At $1 each, it would cost $8 for the bearings for the stub axles, and I clean them every 2 or 3 months and buy new ones every year and keep the old ones that still work in case my new ones break. Very cheap, but surprisingly good quality!

RC Champion
    +1 Steve, I see you have helped with my pain regarding this bearing in my other thread, I thought after upgrading to the larger bearing all would be good, but as you say, maintain the centre bearing and that devil with the ugly head won't appear and destroy your new motor mount.
    YEAH I NEVER had that happen before. Bash at the same places and all of a sudden I eat a spur. I was like what the heck. So I pack up go home to check stuff and KH bearing is seized 2 packs after a service.

RC Qualifier
    YEAH I NEVER had that happen before. Bash at the same places and all of a sudden I eat a spur. I was like what the heck. So I pack up go home to check stuff and KH bearing is seized 2 packs after a service.
    How did the KH mount hold up? my FLM mount is pretty average but usable.

RC Racer
    my King Headz mount holds up fine and i beat the ever loving dog **** out of my slash. the only time i have had to replace that bearing was after my trip to the beach.

RC Champion
    How did the KH mount hold up? my FLM mount is pretty average but usable.
    Mount looks brand new. Just threw in a new bearing and 2 packs later lost the head bearing in my castle motor and ate another spur. Not a good weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Mount looks brand new. Just threw in a new bearing and 2 packs later lost the head bearing in my castle motor and ate another spur. Not a good weekend.
    That's no good mate, I hope you have the parts to get going again. While I was fitting new motor mount I threw a set of bearings into my motor, after your story I am glad I did.

RC Champion
    That's no good mate, I hope you have the parts to get going again. While I was fitting new motor mount I threw a set of bearings into my motor, after your story I am glad I did.
    I cleaned and lubed my Traxxas motor bearings all the time but this Castle stuff is a different animal all steel bearings and the rear of the can doesn't come off the socket caps just strip like they use red lock tight so you can't get em out. So I bought a spare motor and sent original back to Castle. So now no matter what I have a GOOD motor.

RC Enthusiast
    I had this issue and it got really bad I was going through the 5119 (10x15x4) every 2 or 3 battery packs. I switched to losi 10x15x4 bearing and haven't had a issue since. The main problem I've found with traxxas bearing is the lack of grease. If you don't believe me go buy new traxxas bearings pop the rubber seal and take a look, I have found that most of the bearings are nearly dry with no to minimal grease in them. I have also started running 30k weight diff oil in my bearings. since ive don't this Ive had no issues with them as long as i don't get them wet.

RC Qualifier
    Learned my lesson. Motor mount bearing went out. I was running a steel spur at the time. Ball bearings meshed in between steel teeth = broken motor shaft! Well, time to upgrade, and guess I'll do a complete tear down. Just ordered a bunch of Avid bearings. What a deal!! Can't beat $1 each!! That's cheap enough that I will order a complete set every time I tear down.

Just ordered a bunch of Avid bearings. What a deal!! Can't beat $1 each!! That's cheap enough that I will order a complete set every time I tear down.
    Yep! I order a kit when ever I need bearings!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    I know at a dollar you can junk and replace. Being I have more time than money (and love working on my Slash) If the bearing is physically in good shape I will clean and lube with Avids SLIDE grease. Usually it is better than out of the box because I have found new bearings don't come with as much grease as I would like being a basher.

I don't bother cleaning, I just replace. I do mostly onroad driving so they last quite a while. I prefer TRX and Duratrax.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I cleaned and lubed my Traxxas motor bearings all the time but this Castle stuff is a different animal all steel bearings and the rear of the can doesn't come off the socket caps just strip like they use red lock tight so you can't get em out. So I bought a spare motor and sent original back to Castle. So now no matter what I have a GOOD motor.
    Red Loctite is a killer on small fasteners but you need to use it in certain places. I use a small butane torch to gently heat the screw before even attempting to loosen it. You need to be confident when do this as over heating components isn't good either, if you have a can of electrical contact cleaner or freeze spray (expensive as) cool the area as soon as you get that screw loose, don't wait til you get it out, cool it as quick as possible.