RC Racer

Is the tech good in the new 5707L Spartan?

Hey guys,

If you'd buy a brand new 2013 Spartan (5707L), can you safely expect the electronics (read: the VXL-6S and motor) to be good and reliable?
    I ask because of the "first versions" being prone to overheating and blowing, as you can be reading all over the internet, especially when running 6S.
    So I take it that the latest Spartan's come with the latest VXL-6S ESC and motor versions?

I plan to run things bone stock for at least a while, and to even stay 4S for a while, with only one or two occasional runs on 6S to "show off" some speed runs.

So will I be fine with that with the stock ESC + motor? Thanks.
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RCblog.nl - Summit*ERBE*Sl4sh

RC Competitor
    I have the 5707L with the tqi and have not had 1 problem. I did of course, do the cooling mods just to be on the safe side.
    Watch this....

RC Racer
    With the cooling mod you mean the new rudder with dual water pickup for dedicated ESC and motor water flow?

Also, what packs are you running?
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RC Champion
    Yes it would be a good idea to use a rudder with the dual pickup to have a dedicated separate water supply to the motor and ESC.

You should also install a metal motor water jacket as the stock has a tendency to leak.

Are you asking brand or size of battery packs?

I use 5000 mah batteries at 40c or better. I just bought some SPC 5400 mah at 65c, 2ea 2s and 2ea 3s, as I like to run 5s total in my Spartan to stay on the safe side.

Three weeks ago I puffed the capacitors on the ESC in one of my boats and ordered a new one to be on the safe side.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    This will be my second season running my spartan on 6s and I have had no problems with the electronics. I also did the suggested cooling mods and I added 2 1000uf caps as well. I would have expected some issues as I have filled her with water twice . Once for almost an hour since some fool (me) forgot to charge the batts in the recovery boat. Once dry everything ran perfectly.

RC Champion
    That was a bit of luck on your part.....

Once again .... how did the recovery boat work for ya...LOL
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Thanks guys.

About the rudder with dual water pickup: what are the sources to buy that one for an exact Spartan drop-in? I assume Traxxas themselves don't make that?
    Will you have to drill a second hole for the second water lead in the Spartan's rear end, or is there already an opening for that?

About adding another capacitor to the ESC (or maybe 2 more), I was also thinking about doing that on several of my trucks, but I was wondering: are capacitors, being exposed that way, waterproof?
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RC Champion
    There are several suppliers of a direct drop in dual water pick up rudder. Offshoreelectrics and Benchmark rc/Changemaker corp are a couple of sources.

You will need to drill an additional hole for another water tube.

Electrolytic capacitors are sealed with just the + and - leads exposed and do not pose a problem.
    I'll be adding some to my new ESC today.

This is OSE....
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47883778,d.cGE

This is Benchmark.....
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47883778,d.cGE
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    dont forget to add the aluminum can on the motor.

RC Racer
    If you don't want the worry, just rip out the motor and ESC and sell as new, and purchase better, electronics that have been proven, such as the Seaking 180amp ESC / Leopard 1600kv motor combo.