RC Qualifier

Shredded Slipper Pads (Part 2)

I looked into the Robinson Racing slipper plate. There is replacement pads and bearings available. I also found out from Robinson Racing that if you get there slipper assembly, you will need to get their spur gear for the motor. They said that the OEM one will eventually shred due to the difference in hardness.

I liked the Hot racing a little better, because it allows the use of the Traxxas nylon pinion gear, which is used as a mechanical fuse for the drive system.

I think it was Wildman that took a Traxxas break pad and modified it for use with the Hot Racing slipper plates. I liked his idea, but modified it further by taking away the excess pad. The reason? I did it to not allow the excess part of the pad to eventually come in contact with the center part of the slipper assembly base plate as the slipper plate pad wore. This would cause the slipper system to continuously to slip. To cut the center out of the pad I used an Electricians' Stepper Drill Bit.

I did order a Hot Racing slipper plates, but wanted to see if Wildmans' (I think it was Wildman) idea would work with Traxxas parts. It does, and works well if anyone out there in RC Land wants to give it a try. The advantage to using the Hot Racing assembly is that you have 12 contact points as to the Traxxas 6 which will provide twice the sheer strength. Anyway, here are some pictures...hope you all like.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice, can you post the list of parts you use? You mentioned a traxxas disk brake with HR plate?, but on the pics, it looks to be all traxxas am I right?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, you are correct. I (in this case) used all Traxxas parts, and as stated above, things seem to run well. I would like to try the Hot Racing presure plate, though...it's only 18 bucks. I state the reasons why above. Anyway, the 3 Traxxas part numbers you see pictured above is: TRA 5352x (slipper rebuild kit), TRA 5351 (pressure plate), and TRA 4964 (brake pad).

My next experiment will be the arrangement of the slipper plate spring hardware. I think, I might be able to do a better arrangement. If you are interested let me know, and I'll post any findings.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the HR pressure plate will work better, I broke the stock pads holder, and went with RR slipper, but it cost more $$. I like your mod definitely would like to see more of it, and how it worked for you.

It's a great solution, the Hot Racing Double up slipper just has more material & it's machined out of bar stock instead of cast like the stock Traxxas slipper is.

I would love to say I am the genius who thought this up but I ran across this in the ERBL forum, he was running 6s in his revo with this setup.

Good idea on opening up the inside of the brake pad.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I got my handy-dandy Wildman, Hot Racing slipper plates today....very nice. For the sake of discussion, it's not machined aluminum. It's a coated cast aluminum. The Traxxas part looks to be more like pot metal to me. Anyway, thanks for the tip Wildman.

It's Hard Anodized, makes the surface harder then the base metal.
    The TRX ones are definitely cast pot metal, that's why they break if overtightened.
    The 2 I have seen both looked like CNC'd stock.

Anyway it should hold up well for you, it's something I am thinking of doing to my current builds.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    I got my handy-dandy Wildman, Hot Racing slipper plates today....very nice. For the sake of discussion, it's not machined aluminum. It's a coated cast aluminum. The Traxxas part looks to be more like pot metal to me. Anyway, thanks for the tip Wildman.
    Can you post some pics?...very interested on the mod.

RC Qualifier
    Wildman,
    I new the Hot Racing slipper plates were Anodized. I just didn't know how to spell it...true statement. (lol) I put my new hot racing stuff in yesterday. I haven't tried it out yet, cuz I'm doing the Tire Duct Tape Wheel Balancing thing. As soon as I'm done with that, I want to give this baby a try.

RC-Fan,
    I show/tell how to do it with the Traxxas slipper plates, and Wildman shows/tells how to do it with the Hot racing slipper plates in Shredded Slipper Pads post. The only difference between Wildman's and mine is, I bored out the middle of my slipperr pad. Above, I explain how I did it, and why. Let me know what you specifically need, and I'll try to help you out.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 06-16-2013 at 06:13 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thank you I just saw it.