RC Competitor

looking on buying a rustler

i want to buy a nitro ruslter but want more power
    what are the best options

RC Qualifier
    Put a 3.3 in place of the 2.5. More than enough power.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    I have a nitro rustler, with a 2.5r. I think that it is prlenty powerful enough with that. I can't keep the front wheels on the ground, drive shafts in one piece, or idlers in the trans. I think that a 3.3 in there would take all of the fun out of it, you would loose all the control, and driveability that it does have now. Alot of people do it, and they do scream, you can gear up and get alot more topend. Most people that run the 3.3 also make an extended chasis, and mods so heavy, it really is hardly a nitro rustler anymore. That is just my 2 cents though, it will be your ride, so you can do what ever you want. I have owned my rusty for about 13 years, alot of other rc cars have came and gone, and it is still there. If I only have time to run a tank a fuel, I reach for the rusty every time. It is for sure my go to car, it has a nice balance between speed and power. I hope if you get one, that you enjoy it.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Champion
    I would have to tell you not to get one. Get a N Slash instead. A rustler is best suited with the 2.5 like westoakmech has said. My quest for more power and speed from a rustler has spanned over several years and a lot of money. What I ended up with is very, very simular to the nitro slash. And It screams. The big problem with a rustler and a 3.3 is the tranny. The idler gear just doesnt hold up. Stock driveshafts only last a few runs. And with the small tank run time is limited due to extra fuel consumption. But not by much. After you get the drivetrain figured out, then you have a car that does nothing but uncontrolable wheelies. Throttle control must be carefully excersised to maintain control over the car. Its OK if you want to do straight line speed runs and yes its a ton faster. But if you try to race it on a track. You become SLOWER. Because you cant accelerate as fast as a 2.5 due to the wheelies.
    If you want to put a 3.3 or larger on a rusty and control it. Your gonna have to stretch it out. I came up with a 13" wheelbase to keep the front end down. Thats almost 1 3/4" longer than stock. The Nitro Slash has taken all of the mods and performance upgrades that several of use has pioneered over the years to handle the 3.3 in a rusty. And created a beast. The only mod I would do to it besides RPM parts is a set of Badland SC tires. Other than that its perfect. IMO. Below it what I ended up with. Pics are taken over a couple year time span.
    First rusty

With a 3.3

Got tired of wiping it out,

And turned it in to this,

It has now become this.

Save yourself some money. Get a N Slash with a 3.3.

RC Qualifier
    + 1000 I had you in mind when I was posting that powerman. LOL
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec