Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

good quad charger

what are some good quad chargers for under $200 right now we have one single charger for my family's 4 cars. Would it be cheaper to buy two dual chargers. Any advice would be helpful
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I have a Hitec X4 charger and it's worked great. I got mine on ebay for $120 with a power supply. They have a newer model now with the supply built in. Pretty good considering I paid more than that for my first single lipo charger.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Can't think of one, especially with built-in power supplies.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    would it be a better option to do two dual chargers. I will research the hi tech one

The Hitec/Venom/Protec/etc/etc dual-charger clones do not have a great reputation.
    http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...tegory&path=20
    Any of these look familiar?

RC Champion
    ^^^that is scary^^so what are the not copy brands that are trustworthy.

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    I have the HiTec X4 AC/DC charger and absolutely love it. Flawless performance.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

Look into getting a icharger 206b and get a PSU with it from eBay or convert one and get a par aboard from PRC they carry the traxxas charge lead board for cheap. With it you can charge 6 lipos. Not NiMH though OK.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    half of the batts i will be charging will be nimh's

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Nimhs require individual channels for each pack. So you would need a true dual or quad charger. I don't know of any that are better than the hitec x4 but I'm not convinced its the best option. Especially for lipos. Going with an onyx 240 would be the cheapest way to charge 2x nimh packs at once. Then get a 2nd, higher quality charger for your lipos. I don't see the point in investing good money into a fancy charging setup just for Nimh packs when you will more than likely convert to lipo some day. (Especially now that lipos are actually cheaper to buy than even low quality nimh packs)
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    ^^^that is scary^^so what are the not copy brands that are trustworthy.
    It seems that ThunderPowerRC, Junsi iCharger, Hyperion, Duratrax, Electrifly, and FMA Direct are not clones or cloned. Some of the Dynamites are close to clones but seem to have better quality components or quality control. Not all cloned chargers are bad, but I prefer to go with a charger I know is good rather than one than might not be bad.

@PMDRACER: it was a clone of that charger that started two fires locally. This isn't to say that the Hitec is bad, but I believe hearing multiple failures with their original X2 clone line. Besides, I paid less for my 1000-watt PL6 and kilovolt PSU than the street price for the current 200-watt Hitec X4 Plus AC/DC.

RC Champion
    what is a good dual lipo charger

^^ A really good quality charger with a parallel setup. There arent too many good quality DUAL lipo chargers out there. Hyperion makes the 720 duo but its well over $200... there are a few others but for the money you can pretty much buy 2 good quality single chargers and a power supply.

If you want to charge 2 lipos (assuming they are the same specifications), get a powerful, high quality lipo charger and the appropriate parallel adapters. Its simple, fast and you only need one charger.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    so what is a good single lipo charger that i can charge in parallel

ksb51rl what is the PL6 and kilovolt PSU
    Last edited by revoman78; 01-09-2013 at 07:17 PM.

RC Champion
    so let me get this straight. With the hi tech can i charge 2 different nimh batteries and 2 of the same lipo battery. can i charge 4 nimh batteries at the same time. can i charge 4 of the same lipos at the same time?

i almost bought a HitecX4 till i saw the 4x50w and thought better of it. If i pull the plug on a new charger (quite likely) i will be going dual. Im leaning towards the Passport Duo 400W Dual AC/DC Charger.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

so what is a good single lipo charger that i can charge in parallel

ksb51rl what is the PL6 and kilovolt PSU
    Pl6 =powerlab 6 a hi quality charger
    Kilovolt psu = a 1000watt power supply
    2 12v server power supplies in series
    Each is capable of 47 amps 575 watts
    Together in series is 24 v 80+ amps
    1000+ watts of battery charging goodness.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    This is a question with endless answers, all dependant on who the answers come from.
    The 4 channel chargers tend to be low power, so low in fact its actually cheaper and more effective to buy 4 separate single channel chargers.

My luck with the Hitech X2 @ 20 amps 400watts per channel 800 watts total is working quite well. It does need a separate power supply but you will find that DC only chargers are better for your batteries as they cut out any chance of introducing AC ripple into your batteries.

The power supply problem is rather easy to overcome. I thought long and hard about this one as my charger requires a minimum of a 60amp 12VDC rail. Everything I could find commercially available was in the $200 range just for the power supply! Bought a 1300W server power supply off Ebay for $16 shipped, another $15 in wire, binding post, resistor and bi-metal swicthes for fan speed control and Its far better than the commercially produced power supplies for RC use and for a lot less $$. I picked up the charger when it was on special for $149 and another $31 on the power supply so $180 is what I have into it.

RC Champion
    i do not care if it takes a hour for the batteries to charge

RC Racer
    I got the hitec X4, has built in power supply, AC/DC connections came with it works great powered from a house socket or from a car. Some complain about it being low on power but i can charge 4 lipos at 6 amp just fine... My biggest lipo is a 2s 7600mah, take abput 50-60 min to charge from dead. I can also charge 4 different batteries of 4 different sizes all at once(nihm, lipo,lifo,nicad,others...) So can charge my 2s pack whole also doin my 3s pack... Also real nice when my buddies come over to play on the track! Been a great charger for $170.

RC Champion
    6 amps is better than what i can charge at now

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It seems that ThunderPowerRC, Junsi iCharger, Hyperion, Duratrax, Electrifly, and FMA Direct are not clones or cloned. Some of the Dynamites are close to clones but seem to have better quality components or quality control. Not all cloned chargers are bad, but I prefer to go with a charger I know is good rather than one than might not be bad.

@PMDRACER: it was a clone of that charger that started two fires locally. This isn't to say that the Hitec is bad, but I believe hearing multiple failures with their original X2 clone line. Besides, I paid less for my 1000-watt PL6 and kilovolt PSU than the street price for the current 200-watt Hitec X4 Plus AC/DC.
    All due respect, you are comparing a clone X2 to the HiTec X4 and complaining of two fires?
    Wouldn't that be akin to saying not to buy a Ford truck because of the fire issues with the Pinto? (Yes, I'm that old)
    There was a time that Traxxas had major ESC issues too. They remedied the issue, right?
    Again, you have admitted that it were clones that caught fire. You cannot use that against the HiTec.
    Sorry, I have to call an invalid argument when I see it.

The fact of the matter is, the HiTec X4 AC/DC will take four of my SPC 2S 5000mAh LiPos from a storage voltage to fully charged in about 45 minutes.

One unit, one box, one conection to a wall outlet, all eight batteries in 90 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I have two converted power supplies in the garage for other automotive uses, but I simply do not see the point to carrying more junk around to charge batteries when I can everything I need in one contained unit.

Honestly, why is it that every time someone asks for charger options, the entire post string becomes "my setup is better than yours"? Same thing happened with talking about LiPo batteries, and that's completely taboo around here now.

/peace
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    KSB never blamed a HiTec... He even states that HiTec is not bad and made it clear that it was the clone that caused the issue.
    So where is the problem??

I never once have seen a thread stating "my charge setup is better".
    Each setup can be different, have different benefits and drawbacks; and I believe that is how most readers take what is being posted. If we do see a known battery cooker, those of knowledge feel it is only responsible to inform of the possible, if not probable, issue as those chargers can be extremely dangerous.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    KSB never blamed a HiTec... He even states that HiTec is not bad and made it clear that it was the clone that caused the issue.
    So where is the problem??

I never once have seen a thread stating "my charge setup is better".
    Each setup can be different, have different benefits and drawbacks; and I believe that is how most readers take what is being posted. If we do see a known battery cooker, those of knowledge feel it is only responsible to inform of the possible, if not probable, issue as those chargers can be extremely dangerous.
    I agree.If you see someone about to step in front of a bus,do you stop them and say hey that may not be in your best interest.Or just keep walking and hope the splatter doesn't get on you.provide the info and what is done with it is out of your control
    The hobby is about enjoyment.
    Safety is a part of the hobby that should not be overlooked.there are younger members and people new to the hobby.
    Who need to know the potential hazards involved if you mistreat or mis use this equipment.just my thoughts on it

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

My dads friend uses a hitec x4
    I like it but it needs to charge at 20 amps
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

I say go for a big brand name and seek here or other places for advice to know what is known to have issues or good chargers like traxxas ez peak plus, or the mentioned names.Δ

Quote Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
    All due respect, you are comparing a clone X2 to the HiTec X4 and complaining of two fires?
    Wouldn't that be akin to saying not to buy a Ford truck because of the fire issues with the Pinto? (Yes, I'm that old)
    There was a time that Traxxas had major ESC issues too. They remedied the issue, right?
    Again, you have admitted that it were clones that caught fire. You cannot use that against the HiTec.
    Sorry, I have to call an invalid argument when I see it.

The fact of the matter is, the HiTec X4 AC/DC will take four of my SPC 2S 5000mAh LiPos from a storage voltage to fully charged in about 45 minutes.

One unit, one box, one conection to a wall outlet, all eight batteries in 90 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I have two converted power supplies in the garage for other automotive uses, but I simply do not see the point to carrying more junk around to charge batteries when I can everything I need in one contained unit.

Honestly, why is it that every time someone asks for charger options, the entire post string becomes "my setup is better than yours"? Same thing happened with talking about LiPo batteries, and that's completely taboo around here now.

/peace
    Never said my setup is better. Just that I paid less for more power. Fact is, even with the best quality control in place, you are still putting a 200- or 320-watt power supply in a very small enclosure. Having the components in such close proximity is not the best of situations. You like the Hitec, fine. Unless you are charging different batteries (chemistry or cell count) there is no reason to have a quad charger.
    For 3S packs: 50W per channel / 12.6V = a staggering 3.968A charge rate. Not everybody is limited to 2S packs.

My charging setup is better... there... I said it. (I do mean it... both in jest and in mild seriousness). Jakeys charging setup is the BEST best though. Ive seen it... its amazing. He's the only guy I know with a deep cycle boat battery in his kitchen so he can discharge lipos at 40 amps. Hehe.

But, there IS math involved here. (and I always said id never need it).

Charging a lipo requires both amps and watts. One without the other is useless.

The Hitec X4 only has a 200 watt PSU and can only charge at a maximum of 20 amps. So, thats 5 amps and 50 watts per channel. Heres how the math works.

Charging a lipo at 1C is one amp per 1000mah of capacity. So to charge an average 5000mah 2S lipo you need 5 amps of charging power. BUT... for the charger to supply 5 amps it must have a PSU that can put out 42 watts.

To find out how many watts you need simply multiply the amps you wish to charge at by the voltage the pack will be when full. In this case, 5X8.4 = 42 watts.

In general, charging at 1C takes one hour. It certainly does NOT take less.

If your charging a 7600mah pack, 1C would be 7.6 amps. This would take one hour and would require 64 watts from the power supply FOR EACH PACK. If your chargin that 7600mah pack at 5 amps, you still only need 42 watts but its going to take 1.5 hours.

So, the X2 CAN charge 4 X 5000mah 2S lipos at 1C in one hour. BUT, if you go above 5000mah by even a little bit (5500mah for example) it will take longer than an hour.

IF you need to charge 3S packs, you NEED more watts. So, even to charge a 5000mah 3S lipo at 5 amps (1C) youd need 63 watts for EACH CHANNEL. The X4 can not do this. The highest amperage you can charge a 3S pack at is 4... so even a 5000mah 3S pack will take 1 hour and 15 minutes approx.

PMDRACER, you claim your X4 will charge 2S lipos from STORAGE VOLTAGE in 45 minutes. That may be true but this is not a realistic time to be working with. Most people will want to know how long it takes to charge the packs from LVC... your 5000mah packs take 1 hour minimum so charging all 8 of your packs will take at least 2 hours. This may seem like a small point but were getting specific here so lets be specific.

IMO, a 5 amp, 50 watt charger is only useful for NIMH packs. Its just not enough power for todays high capacity lipos or lipos (like SPC) that can be charged at 2C... if your going to buy a charger, buy one thats fast. I would rather have a dual channel charger than CAN do 10 amps than a 4channel charger than can only do 5.

jem450r, your hitec can not charge at 6 amps... and even if it could, it would not fill your 7600mah packs from LVC (empty) to full in 50-60 minutes. Its simply not possible.

The passport duo is probably one of the most affordable and powerful dual channel AC/DC chargers you can buy. I feel they are very high quality and they have an excellent 5 year warranty. If I was the OP, thats the direction id be leaning.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-11-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Ok my bad, i did say from dead, my bad, my "dead" was when my buddies died, which put my slightly bigger lipos at just below storage.
    Also it says its charging at 6 amps on the screen so guess its lying?
    Either way, WOW you take your chargers serious... Calm down and accept that people can be happy with what you call a "nihm" charger... I got it for a good price, does everything it should(charge,discharge,storage,balance) My god it might take me a lil longer to charge a lipo...
    Last edited by jem450r; 01-12-2013 at 12:46 AM.

RC Racer
    Apologize to the OP... His question was a good quad charger for 4 family rc cars. Some of which are running nihms...
    And he said under 200 bucks...
    The hitec x4 is under 200, and charges multiple types of batteries all at once...

RC Champion
    most of the batts i will be charging will be 4 2500spc lipos, but what is the passport duo?

RC Racer
    most of the batts i will be charging will be 4 2500spc lipos, but what is the passport duo?
    Not a very big lipo, most you could charge anyway would be 5 amps on a 2500mah lipo, most spc have 2c charge rates, i still charge at 1c for battery life(have several heli lipos with 100s flights on them). Weather it helps or not i cant deny nor confirm but i always do 1c charging. Passport duo is pavementsurfers first love... Jk. The Passport duo is a dual charger with 400 watts so you can charge at 10 amps on both batteries and costs about $250 bucks.

RC Champion
    i think the hitec will be the best value for what i will be charging

Here's the reason i take this seriously. I've personally owned dozens of chargers. Literally. I've wasted a lot of money trying to figure out what works. In the beginning I made bad decisions because I didn't understand how things worked. I bought chargers like the hitec X4 only to find as I progressed in this hobby that charger was no longer capable of doing what I needed it to. If I had of known how this stuff works, if someone had of explained to me what I did above, I would have been able to make a better decision. Would have cost me more up front, but total $$ spent in the process of buying and selling many chargers is far more than just buying a really good setup from the start. You may not need all its capabilities now, but the longer your in the hobby, the more you'll appreciate a higher end chargers capabilities.

I'm not a dynamite fanboy. I owned a passport ultra and it was great. But I don't own one anymore. But the passport duo IS capable, with the right adapters, of charging 4 2500mah lipos at 2C each or 8 at 1c. That's darn good.

I charge all my SPC lipos at 2c all the time. Have almost 200 charges on my 5400 2S packs and they still work like new.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    @Pave: may I ask what charger and PSU you use now. I am currently in the market for a good set up and don't want to waste funds on trying different stuff out, like you said

FMA Powerlab 6 powered by a 57amp converted PSU I bought from a guy who converts and sells them.

I can charge at 40 amps NO problem. Total cost was approx $240 shipped.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    How long does it take you to charge your 2s 5400's at 2c?

I'm gonna say 30mins tops since he has 40amps to charge with.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    I'm gonna say 30mins tops since he has 40amps to charge with.
    Thanks mike

RC Champion
    so we got the hitec charger today for $123 and we discovered that there is no way to plug it into a wall because it is a dc charger are there any power supplies that convert ac to dc