RC poster

Question on Battery and Charger

ok I just bought my Traxxas Rally Brushless 4WD TQI 2.4GHz RTR and I am completely new to electiric. What Other Battery and Charger should I get so my kids and I can make the most of our runs with as little downtime for charging as possible. I intend on tire/wheel upgrades , and shocks in the future, but for now ,my main goal is slightly more power with a fast turn around on 2 -3 batteries and a charger.

Thanks !

JYD

RC Qualifier
    Most people will reccomend spc lipos
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Qualifier
    The Duratrax Onyx line of chargers are easy to use. SPC lipos have worked great for me and are inexpensive. I have also used
    Gens Ace lipos, but they are hardly ever in stock.

Keep the plastic ultra shocks and upgrade to the titanium nitride coated shafts and aluminum caps. There is no need for
    aluminum body shocks for bashing.

I reccomend the Hitec x4 as it has everything you'll ever need
    I have an Onyx 245 and wish I bought the x4 as it has so many more options
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Welcome to the forum, Dogg.

I have a Venom Pro Charger that's at least 5 years old and still going strong. I'd recommend buying 2 or 3 SPC 2s lipo's so you can have minimum downtime. Keep in mind the average charger will take about 40 minutes or so to charge a 2s 5000mah lipo.

Another thing to consider is either spending more money for a faster charger, one that can charge 2 lipo's at a time, or buy more lipo's... at some point I'll buy a second Venom charger now that I have a power supply that can handle 2 chargers.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Thanks all,

Here's how I started....

2 Duratrax Onyx LiPo 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 25C Hard Case TRA

Duratrax Onyx 245 AC/DC Dual Charger

This is my first adventure into electric and has been years since I last ran NITRO. My last car was a Hyper 7 pro Nitro. my car and batteries should be here tomorrow night so I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Wish I had caught KDvanb post quicker, I may reutn the 245 and check out the Hitech.next upgrade will be shock caps and shafts..big thanks to steve !

Once again thanks for all the help and the SPC link was great.

Junkyarddog
    Last edited by Junkyarddogg; 06-12-2013 at 08:55 PM.

You'll be fine
    Just the 245 doesn't have storage mode
    The Hitec x4 has 4 battery ports
    Storage mode and 6a per port
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I think The Gens Ace lipo packs are the perfect basher pack. They will even work great for legit racing. And they don't cost too much. That is the reason I bought them. But they have great lifetime and the cells always stay balanced. I never had a problem with them. About the charger you don't want to charge them too fast because the cells get unbalanced which means a dead battery. You need to just charge the battery in advance. I have the Great planes Triton EQ charger. The absolute best charger I have ever had. Hope that helped! ItchyThrottleFinger.