RC Qualifier

Is there a motor esc upgrade?

Is the a motor and esc that can make the spartan faster than it already is?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, and no.

There is nothing offered from Traxxas specifically for the Spartan.

Many Spartan owners have upgraded the ESC and motor with aftermarket components to improve performance and reliability.

As far as faster goes, you can open a real can of worms.

Higher kv motors put more stress on the ESC, batts, and wiring.

Lower kv motors have more torque, allowing for larger props, but larger props increase torque roll.

This is very simplified, and there many other factors to consider, but the gist is "for every ying, there is a yang".

The Spartan is prone to chine walk at high speeds, and the faster you go, the more prone it is to chine walk.

So yes, you can make it faster with various combinations of ESC, Motor, Prop, Battery, and Drive Line upgrades, but it can be a challenge to dial in the set up to achieve a steady ride at high speeds.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i bought the seaking/hobbywing 180amp esc and 1600 leopard motor combo from kintec.only minor mods IMO to get it to fit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    i bought the seaking/hobbywing 180amp esc and 1600 leopard motor combo from kintec.only minor mods IMO to get it to fit
    i was looking at that motor/esc combo. how much faster do you think it is compared to the stock setup on 6s?

RC Qualifier
    The SK 180 ESC and Leopard 4082 1600kv combination is a popular choice. I run it in one of my Spartans. Very reliable setup.

The stock motor is 1800kv, so the 1600kv will produce lower unloaded RPM's

However the lower kv rating, and larger motor size will have more torque, so you will likely loose less rpm under load, and you can spin larger, or higher pitch props to compensate for lower RPM.

How much faster depends on how well you dial in your setup, your prop choice etc.

Mine runs consistently in the high 40's (48-50 mph) but there are owners who have GPS'd this setup in the mid 50's

hog

RC Racer
    Actually seen some as high as 58-59mph. I feel the only way to increase the spartan's speed is to choose the correct prop. I am going to be testing Octura M Series props; designed for top end speed, reduced torque role and chine walking, over the X series. Downside is less lower end grunt of the line, but with such a motor, you can afford to lose that off the line performance in trade for higher top speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    The SK 180 ESC and Leopard 4082 1600kv combination is a popular choice. I run it in one of my Spartans. Very reliable setup.

The stock motor is 1800kv, so the 1600kv will produce lower unloaded RPM's

However the lower kv rating, and larger motor size will have more torque, so you will likely loose less rpm under load, and you can spin larger, or higher pitch props to compensate for lower RPM.

How much faster depends on how well you dial in your setup, your prop choice etc.

Mine runs consistently in the high 40's (48-50 mph) but there are owners who have GPS'd this setup in the mid 50's

hog