Thread: Work station

RC Racer

Work station

I have a card table that i want to add walls to three sides of it and I need to make where I can fold it up too, i want a power bar on it somewhere for charger,solder gun,etc i travel alot because my mom and father are divorced any ideas ideas???
    Last edited by razorback fan; 06-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just curious the purpose for the walls, if just wanting ledges to keep screws tools etc.. from falling off just get some "L" shape channel metal or wood (like corner trim) from hardware store use some small nuts and bolts to attach thru the table...just a thought
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It wouldn't even need to be "L" shaped... simple aluminum banding or thin bar stock would work and attach it directly to the edge... just make sure it is a wee bit taller.

That is if you are going for a screw stop...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Timber the reason is to hold and hang parts on them

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Just get a decent sized tool box to go along with the table.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I may just do one side with a wall and a piece of aluminum where the other two walls where gonna be at, and run power bars down one or both sides I have not decided yet and I will definitely have a lamp or something

Stick that power bar to the side
    I'm not sure exactly what you really want..
    But in my workshop I made a cubby that has a separate space for all of my battery's
    It also has a shelf for shock oils and another for tires
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Just get a decent sized tool box to go along with the table.

I agree. I use a cheap workforce tool box for my RC stuff and it holds enough that if you cant fix an RC car with whats in there (except for a drill) then you got some serious issues. It was only 6 dollars so if it gets beat up I am not to worried about it.

Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    I understand the wall to hang stuff, your wanting a mobile work station, I would get a cheap tool box or some of those flat clear fishing tackle boxes that slide into a tackle box to organize your parts to move them around something to this effect,
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-728-...ystem/19487463
    if you hang them on something you will just be taking them down every time you went to your mom or dads, then slap some short rails onto the table from the top if you attach on the sides then screws will roll between that mat on top and the round bar and be a pain to get them out of, then I would attach a power strip to the top middle of the table opposite of where you are going to be sitting, then possible a small clip on light with a bendable arm to attach to table. and pack a 8 or ten foot extension cord in box cause most of the power strips have a short cord on them, then pick up a chair or I prefer a stool they are usually taller and let me see what I am working on better and you can get those that fold up too make a hook attachment for underside of table for it ...thats my 2 cents...

If you have alot of parts to move around tires etc...I believe jimmy used something to this effect
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-...olbox/19676604
    Last edited by Timber211; 06-09-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...le-Play-Center...

And I plan on making a more mobile version sometime this summer/fall... it will be less equipped for major catastrophes, but I will be able to fit it in my 2003 Mach.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 06-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...le-Play-Center...

And I plan on making a more mobile version sometime this summer/fall.
    I copied this build and just love it i can grab the box and have everything i need.

You really don't need anything too fancy. A couple of years ago I was transferred down to San Diego from Bangor, WA. It took about six months for our house to sell, during that time my wife stayed up north, and I lived in a Navy Barracks. I set up a little work bench on a 2'x4' folding card table. It wasn't like having a full-sized work bench, but I had enough room to work on my trucks. For my tools and parts I had this toolbox:

If you have more stuff to store, this tool box works pretty well. I have modified it a little, but I have room for just about everything I need (charger, stand, radio, batteries, tools, spare parts, lamp, instructions, etc...)

This one is good for when you are on the go, like Jimmie's toolbox, it has wheels on the base.

Oh, the folding table was $5, the tool boxes ran about $20 for both, all bought a swapmeets.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired