Can the forum rules be bend a little for the vintage area?

Dadx2mj closed this thread: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...47#post5531547

For this reason: "Guys this is a Support Forum not a shopping guide." quoting the forum rules.

11. Linking to online retailers. Posting links to online retailers is permitted ONLY as a means of identifying a product or part so users can better understand which part(s) you use or recommend. If you are identifying a Traxxas part, link to www.buytraxxas.com to identify it. Links to promotions or contests are not permitted. Linking to online stores solely for the purpose of indicating where to find the lowest price is not permitted and is not the purpose of this forum. Note: Traxxas does not permit links to certain retailers. Links to these retailers will appear starred-out. Review your post and delete any starred out links.
    I think this rule was created to avoid hurting LHS, or to avoid creating some kind of competition between online, eBay seller and chop shops... I think this rule shouldn't apply so strictly to us, the vintage guys...

Vintage parts are not something you can find easily, there's no competition here, no one is hurt if we post a link, in fact, we vintage guys win if we can restore a vintage truck that was missing that specific part...

Posting hard to find vintage parts or trucks (like the Wildcat 4x4) should be allowed, I don't see any harm by doing so...

Thanks!

Daniel.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Consider this, if an exception is made for the "vintage guys" dont you think every other member in every sub forum will cry foul and say there is a double standard? IMO to keep things fair the rules must be applied to all forums and members.

EDIT: Decided to unlock and move this thread to this forum rather than leave it locked in the Vintage forum.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

But the rule is not fair itself because it was created having in mind that posting a link could harm a LHS or an online company, eBay chop shops could take advantage of this forum. But doesn't apply to the vintage parts, how many vintage parts are shared by two eBay sellers? How many vintage parts does TowerHobbies/AMainHobbies/etc have in stock? The rule itself doesn't apply in my opinion because the vintage world does not create business issues. Please, correct me if I'm mistaken, maybe the rule was created having some other ideas in mind....
    Last edited by danielhr77; 06-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I agree with what danielhr77 said.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

I think you have a misconception of why the rule was created. I think it was because Traxxas wanted the forum to be for support and to not have the members having to sort through tons of posts of people trying to sell things are argue over where is the best place to buy. In short they wanted a forum for tech support not a shopping guide.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Dad, with all due respect, you need to realize that there are parts that us vintage guys need but you cannot find on the buytraxxas.com website. It's not even listed nor shows up in their database while other retailers might have the part. We post links for not only someone looking for a rare part but also give them an idea what that part may look like. Some of these Vintage Traxxas don't even have the exploded parts view in the PDF downloads on the support page, just a part listing. Perfect example would be the Bullet or Trx1 buggy. Coolecool didn't mind if we listed links for parts(as long as it applied to Traxxas parts) b/c I believe he understand the rarity of some vintage parts(being a vintage guy himself) and how many people may actually be looking for them. Linking the part gives the person the ability to identify the part needed and know where they might be able to purchase if it's not already sold out.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-27-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

There is already too much going on in the Vintage Electric forum that should not be happening, i.e. buying and selling.
    There can not and should not be different rules for different members. You will have to learn to live within the Rules.
    Period. End of story.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I realize you position BUT the thread that was closed was none of that.It was simply a link to a part, there was nothing other than the link and "battery tray $13". That is not support or answering a question for some one or really anything than "someone should buy it" type thing.

The rules are what they are and for good reason in my opinion. If you guys think they should be changed then contact Traxxas and voice your opinion. Until Traxxas tells us moderators something different I expect we will continue to enforce the rules as we have been instructed to. At this point the Vintage forum is bound by the same rules has the rest of the forum is.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    There is already too much going on in the Vintage Electric forum that should not be happening, i.e. buying and selling.
    There can not and should not be different rules for different members. You will have to learn to live within the Rules.
    Period. End of story.
    We understand that. And I and another member were giving a warning then still broke that warning. Even the employee stated we were in the wrong.

So what would be a example that is allowed for linking a part that follows Traxxas guidelines?
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-27-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    We understand that. And I and another member were giving a warning then still broke that warning. Even the employee stated we were in the wrong.

So what would be a example that is allowed for linking a part that follows Traxxas guidelines?
    This is not that difficult, read rule #11. I quoted it in the thread that was closed and in a PM to you I am pretty sure. You can post a link only to identify a part, if it is a Traxxas part the link should be to buytraxxas.com
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Not sure what you are getting at. The Rules are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    This is not that difficult, read rule #11. I quoted it in the thread that was closed and in a PM to you I am pretty sure. You can post a link only to identify a part, if it is a Traxxas part the link should be to buytraxxas.com
    Never received a PM. As far as identifying parts, it is very difficult for us Vintage Traxxas user if using the buytraxxas.com website. Again, there are parts that aren't even listed in the database on their website. BTW do any of you own a Vintage Traxxas rc? If you did, you would probably understand where I'm getting at with the buytraxxas.com website or just finding parts in general. And also, how does us linking a part off Ebay or a retailer differ from the ones I can easily see in the Rustler/Slash thread and even in the alley where people asking about a online hobby retailer and should they buy from them.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-27-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Poor sentence structure and grammer.

RC Racer
    I'm not sure why you're not getting it, the rules get in the way of collectors building vintage cars.
    What is this forum really about?
    Talking tech, but no parts replacement???
    So what? Just superglue what you have? Is this Traxxas advice?

Perhaps we should start our own forum, separate from traxxas and everyone can go there so the traxxas forum mods can control and micro manage how they want... and we can get on with our HOBBYs!
    SRT Hawk2 MT4 TCP

Bmktw2, I wouldn't go that far, I'm just asking for a little bit of consideration, we don't hurt LHS, online stores or eBay seller by posting a few links, that's all I ask...

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Bmktw2, I wouldn't go that far, I'm just asking for a little bit of consideration, we don't hurt LHS, online stores or eBay seller by posting a few links, that's all I ask...
    I think it has something to do with Traxxas business and linking retailers takes away potential buyers from using the buytraxxas.com website. But again that doesn't help us Vintage guys b/c there are alot of vintage parts not even listed on buytraxxas.com. But clearly the same activity is going on in others sections and nothing is being done about it. Alley, Rustler/Slash just to name a few.

I want to know what exactly in the thread that was closed was against Traxxas rules? The post Moose made or the I made?
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmktw2 View Post
    I'm not sure why you're not getting it, the rules get in the way of collectors building vintage cars.
    What is this forum really about?
    Talking tech, but no parts replacement???
    So what? Just superglue what you have? Is this Traxxas advice?

Perhaps we should start our own forum, separate from traxxas and everyone can go there so the traxxas forum mods can control and micro manage how they want... and we can get on with our HOBBYs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    I think it has something to do with Traxxas business and linking retailers takes away potential buyers from using the buytraxxas.com website. But again that doesn't help us Vintage guys b/c there are alot of vintage parts not even listed on buytraxxas.com. But clearly the same activity is going on in others sections and nothing is being done about it. Alley, Rustler/Slash just to name a few.
    One wants less oversight and one wants more...

@Bmktw2: As far as starting your own forum, that is your right. Go for it. That said, you should make sure you don't burn your bridges HERE... which is exactly what you seem intent on doing right now.

RC Racer
    Is it against the rules to say that?
    SRT Hawk2 MT4 TCP

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    One wants less oversight and one wants more...

@Bmktw2: As far as starting your own forum, that is your right. Go for it. That said, you should make sure you don't burn your bridges HERE... which is exactly what you seem intent on doing right now.
    No. If you're going to enforce rules on a thread, those same rules should be enforce in ALL. Yet you have multiple threads in different sections where users have links to other manufacture's parts(mainly aftermarket) they used and even web addresses to the online retailers where they buy from. But the Vintage forum is now being told to used buytraxxas.com yet You or Dad probably do not own a vintage Traxxas(assuming of course) to even know that there are parts buytraxxas.com DOES NOT HAVE LISTED!

Please if you don't believe me. See for yourself. Look up part number 2517 which is the rear shock tower for the Traxxas SRT.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Wow, quite the little flame war we have going here! Not to add to it, but I get what both sides are saying, but I have to agree with this. v
    No. If you're going to enforce rules on a thread, those same rules should be enforce in ALL. Yet you have multiple threads in different sections where users have links to other manufacture's parts(mainly aftermarket) they used and even web addresses to the online retailers where they buy from.
    I use links to RPM.com, RCplanet.com, Avid.com, TowerHobbies.com, etc all the time, and me, or anyone else I've seen have never gotten in trouble for using those links. It just seems only the people in the vintage forum get in trouble. Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    I'd be ok with it. Simply to the rarity of old traxxas parts.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

I really dont understand where some of the ideas you guys express come from. Links are allowed to show the exact part you are using , recommending, etc. They are not allowed to promote a website or LHS or any retailer. This forum is for tech support not a shopping guide. Honestly I think the mods as a whole give a lot of wiggle room on this rule all across all the forums. No one in the Vintage forum "got in trouble" for posting a link. Two members did get infractions for openly making a deal to buy/sell a part even after they were told right in the thread that was not allowed in the open forum and to take it to PM or post an add in the Market Place. They chose to ignore the warning and make their deal in the Vintage forum.

EDIT: If you remember the ability to post links at all was removed some time ago and the moderators along with the members lobbied to get the rule change to what it is now. If people keep pushing the rule beyond it's limits it could easily revert back to no links at all period end of story.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-27-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I really dont understand where some of the ideas you guys express come from. Links are allowed to show the exact part you are using , recommending, etc. They are not allowed to promote a website or LHS or any retailer. This forum is for tech support not a shopping guide. Honestly I think the mods as a whole give a lot of wiggle room on this rule all across all the forums. No one in the Vintage forum "got in trouble" for posting a link. Two members did get infractions for openly making a deal to buy/sell a part even after they were told right in the thread that was not allowed in the open forum and to take it to PM or post an add in the Market Place. They chose to ignore the warning and make their deal in the Vintage forum.
    Did you take into consideration that Moose might be new to the vintage forum and was inquiring about a SRT and what parts are needed? Or maybe he wasn't aware that his posting was again Forum Rules and was just showing us a part we might use or be looking for? I posted the actually part that he was referring(and confusing) too. You could have simply edit his post like Cooleocool might have done instead of closing the thread. I can understand Moose post being against the rules but my post actually follows guidelines(from what I understand). But clearly we are now being asked to use the BuyTraxxas.com website for linking Traxxas parts(stated in the Forum Rules you listed). What you don't understand is that there are parts that do not exist on the website anymore. And what I'm asking is how did anyone in that specific thread break the Traxxas forum rules resulting in a thread closure while I found a post in the Traxxas Alley listing a online retailer website(competition to Buytraxxas.com) and another for towerhobbies(again competition) linking to a Stampede 4x4 but nothing has been done about them. I can guarantee that there are very few people who actually stop and view the Vintage Forum. I also do know a few member are on the "moderators list" that are also very active in the Vintage Forum and has a target painted on them. Makes it feel like being "singled out". I'm not asking that ALL Forum Rules not apply to the Vintage Forum but if you are going to enforce rules, enforce them on the entire forum.

Now, I understand that I and another member clearly disregard your warning in a certain thread. And we clearly did it again and got infractions for it. I even asked a employee who at fault and was stated I and the other member was. Ok, I respect that. But that happen a few days ago and has NOTHING to do with this thread. I do not understand why that is even being mentioned here?
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-27-2013 at 05:11 PM.

I do not see where he said links outside of Traxxas are not allowed. Dadx2mj said this. "Links are allowed to show the exact part you are using , recommending, etc. They are not allowed to promote a website or LHS or any retailer. This forum is for tech support not a shopping guide."

Yes, vintage parts can be difficult to find. Posting something like "You can see the part at this link" is fine, even if it is not a Traxxas link. "This site is the best place to find cheap parts" is not ok.

I am closing this thread.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn