RC Enthusiast

Im New To The E-Revo, Please Help With A Gearing And Heat Question

Hello, I Just Got A New E-Revo Brushless On Tuesday. Sold All My Nitro And Going To Electric. As Of Right Now My Setup Is This:

Two-2s 8000Mah 35C Onyx Lipo's
    18T Pinion 58T Spur
    40 Series Proline Road Rage Tires On The Desprado Rims.
    60WT Shock Oil

I Am Using My Ipod On MY Radio For Gauges <<< Love This BTW.
    I Set Everything In The Settings For The Right Gears And Tires. Stock Speed Was 36Mph With The 18/65Gearing.(Stock Gearing) Temps After 30 Min Or So Were About 140F.
    I Changed The Spur To The 58 Tooth And It Only Gained 4-5 Mph, My Slipper Is Pretty Tight. Temps After About 30 Min Of On The Throttle Quite A Bit Get To About 150-160F (160F) Was The Highest But It Did Drop Back Down. Going From The 65T To A 58T Seemed Like A Huge Jump But Not To Much Of A Speed Difference.

So My Question Is This. Running On Just 4s Im Looking For Around 45+MPH But I Don't Want To Burn Anything Up. (Over Heat It) What Gearing Would Be Safe. I Was Thinking. 20/58 ? I Do Not Run On Dirt Just Flat Smooth Surface, But I Still Want To Be Able To Drive It Around. Not Just A Few Speed Passes And Be Done, Also I Don't Want To Go 6S Right Now. I Think Over 55Mph And Your Asking For Trouble.

What Is The MAX Safe Temp ?

Is This Correct Speed's For The Gears Im Using ??? 18/58 = Goes 40 Mph

Will 20/58 Gearing Be Ok With Temps ?

Any Help Or Tips Is Greatly Appreciated. Thank You, Steve

Post #3 has a lot of good info in there...provided by 87 GN
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5250890

I run 20/54 on 6s with LST2 diff mod...hottest my temps get with heavy throttle around 66*C (150*F)
    Last edited by MITCH316; 06-08-2013 at 05:09 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

18/54 is the supplied gearing, I would start there. Then maybe go up to 21/54 watching temps posted in link above..

Welcome to the DARKSIDE.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    Thank You Both, I Did Try 20/58 Today And Temps Got To 165F After About 25 Min Of Mild Throttle, And A Few Speed Passes. I Shut It Down. Not Sure What "Normal" Would Be. I Did Not Want To Ruin Anything. The ECS Was @ 116F Most Of The Time. And The Lipos were 98F. But With That Gearing I Was VERY Happy. Pulled The Front Up Great And @ 48Mph Was What I Was Looking For. So Im Charging The Lipos And Going To Try 20/62 And See If That Helps With The Temps. Also My Fan Kicks On When The ESC Reaches 120F. The Fan Kicked On So I Used My Laser Temp Gun And Checked The ESC All Around. Was 124F. The Fan Turned Off And The Temp Went To 120F ??? I Thought It Was Set For 150F.

Should I Try The 20/54 ?

What Is A Normal Motor Temp ?

Again I Really Appreciate The Help.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok So Tried The 20/62...... Motor Heated Up Fast. So Did The 20/54. Motor Stayed About 150-160F With Heavy Throttle, But It Was Also A Little Cooler Outside, With Temps Here About 100F Right Now. So I Will Try Again In The Morning. But **** This Thing Is FAST. Hitting 51MPH With The 20/54...Nice.

RC Enthusiast
    51 mph is impossible with 20/54, most probably you're measuring it wrong. it barely does 40mph on 18/54.

I use 22/62, searched a lot of topics about this question and this 22/62 setup is pretty common... Gave it a try, and I'm more than happy. A good combination or torque and top speed. (smth like 43-45 mph with stock tires. 50mph with bigger diameter tires, which I have now (hpi goliath))

btw I'm talking about 4s battery of course...

RC Enthusiast
    NOPE... That's What The Telemetry Says. I Didn't Believe It So I Taped My GPS On It And Got Only A 1 MPH Difference. I Was Getting 41MPH With 18/58. Barley 40 With 18/54 ???? So Either My GPS And Ipod Are Wrong Or You Are Doing Something Wrong.
    And Yes 4S 8000 35C !!!
    Yeah I Think Your Doing Something Wrong

RC Qualifier
    Nope, thats impossible with 4S om 20/54. With a fully charged set of lipo's you will get to 43mph max. After your lipos get to their nominal voltage you can only do 38mph max. And these are theoretical values, which will be higher than real world values.

Or do your road rages balloon more than 1" in diameter? If so, 50mph would be possible on fully charged lipos, but only in ideal situations.

Mitch316 post.....in the link you will find this, and will answer your Q&A about temps.
    I think.... I do NOT know for sure, But I think Castle lowered the Temp setting to have the ESC fan come on.

A temp gun is kind of a must have.....

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Motor ~ 180/190*F (82/88*C) maximum, ideally 140/160*F (60/71*C), temps can be 10*F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / Fan comes on @ 150*F (65*C)
    Lipo's ~ 140*F (60*C) max, ideally 100/120*F (38/49*C).........
    Last edited by 87 GN; 06-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ill Up Load A Pic But I Don't Know How, Drove It Today Again And Yes 51 MPH Max Speed.
    4S 20/54 Gearing, I Have Not Reason To BS People Or Lie.
    Last edited by Moyersteven; 06-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.

guess I should have finished what I was saying......ooops

I think Castle lowered the Temp setting to have the ESC fan come on sooner.
    The last ESC I bought before the MM2, same gearing the fan would kick on much sooner than norm..

edit
    2/2s 8000 mAh 28c geared 21/54, radio set to 70/30

I had a radar of 54.1 mph, & still had a little more to go, until I about hit the steel post for the mail box......

as for pic posting need photo bucket or one like them. check the FAQ for how to...

http://traxxas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?61-Forum-FAQ
    Last edited by 87 GN; 06-09-2013 at 01:01 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    87 GN THANK YOU. Yes The Car Is A Little Faster When The Lipos Just Get Off The Charger. I Pulled Them Off Did A Few Passes And Top Speed Was 52MPH. After The Lipos Reach Their Normal Voltage I Get 48MPH. Still Not Bad. My ESC Is Still Very Cool. And I Would Like To Get The Motor Down A Few Degrees. I Did Read Your Post But Don't Quite Understand.

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared. Need Bigger Pinion ???
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared Need Smaller Pinion ??? <<< Is This Right ?
    Everything warm just right..

Once Again Thank You
    Heres MY Proof

http://s876.photobucket.com/user/moy...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by Moyersteven; 06-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, its possible, but your tires must be balloon quite a bit to achieve those speeds.

And telemetry is no proof. Did you set your telemetry settings right, for example? You need to put your pinion and spur gear count, and your tire diameter to get sort of accurate telemetry readings. And then you still can "cheat" by just lifting the car from the ground at full throttle, so you have no drag, or other resistances. But it IS possible to get to 50mph, as said before, but with tires like pizza cutters.

what ever speed you are getting. Higher the voltage the more speed & power... goes to say a fully charged batt at 4.20v is going to have more than a batt that is at the end of the run. Also you are correct in the above post over under geared..

on the FB pic page on the right it has img {url=http:// ect...} left click on the tap it will copy the link.
    come to this page right click paste. use to copy paste in the Image link above. Not sure if it is because of Wind8????

RC Enthusiast
    Thank You 87 GN, Cheat No....Have No Reason To. I Just Don't Believe That People Find It Hard That My Revo Is Going 50MPH ON A FRESH LIPO !!! I Did Do The Settings Right. I Did Also Try To Lift The Car And Give Full Throttle..... Also Says Its Not Recommended, If I Do That The Speed Does 54 MPH. I Was Also Concerned About The Telementry Being Off. I Taped My GPS To The Car And There Is Only A 1Mph Difference. The Tires Do Balloon Quite A Bit When Going That Fast And Of Coures The Car Does Become Pretty Unstable. I Drove It Today With Temps Outside @94F For About 45 Min Doing Some Speed Runs And Just Cruzing It Around Highest Motor Temp I Seen Was 164F. I Then Checked The ESC And It Was 122F. So Im Guessing What I Have Setup Is Fine. I Will Post A Video Later Tonight. Thanks
    On A Second Note I Am Very Happy I Bought This Car, One Of The Best RC Cars I Have Owned By Far, Glad All Of You Are Here To Help.
    Last edited by Moyersteven; 06-09-2013 at 05:37 PM.