RC Enthusiast

trying to decide on new shocks...

So, my son smashed his Maxx into a road sign and busted up the front right side. I've got a new front bulkhead and rpm front a arms along with suspension pins coming. He also bent both right front shock shafts. I've also bent a couple shock shafts before and replaced them with stock. That being said, with him doing most of the bashing with the Maxx would it be worth the $ for the Traxxas big bore shocks? Or should I just buy a set of stockers and replace them as needed? I mean, do the big bore shocks really hold up that much better than the stock shocks?

RC Racer
    I smashed my Maxx into a steel basketball hoop pole on one of my first few runs, I posted and asked the same question, and everyone seemed to agree that the big bores aren't only stronger but are just a better shock all around. But if you decide to get the big bores than you will def need new springs! I would highly recommend the integy spring set, its everything you would ever need and they are great springs despite integy's reputation.

RC Enthusiast
    I got some integy piggyback shocks and they've worked good on my jato . Gl on ur search

RC Racer
    It depends on how you drive do you jump the e maxx alot or is it more onroad, gras, parkinglot places you drive. I have both the stock and the big bore shock I don not think there is a huge difference, the bigbore are stronger and thats it. If you jump alot go for the bigbore but the springs are very soft.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The maxx sees a lot of jumping and very little on road use. If the big bores are all around stronger, then that is what I'm hoping for. I will look into the Integy spring set also, thanks for the tip.

RC Competitor
    I've had the Traxxas big bores on my E-Maxx for years now & absolutely love them! I bash a lot at a friends backyard track & go pretty big jumping my truck off of BMX size jumps. The big bores have held up to all of the abuse I've thrown at them. And the shock shafts are still straight! Prior to installing the big bores I was repeatedly bending the stock shock shafts. As for springs, I bought some stiffer aftermarket springs (can't remember where because it was several years ago) on 4 of the 8 shocks, with the springs that came with the big bores (which are super soft) on the other 4 shocks. If you don't end up getting stiffer aftermarket springs right away you can use the stock springs off of the plastic shocks that the truck came with. Just make sure you use the upper & lower spring couplers from the stock plastic shocks as well. Happy BIG Boring!!

RC Qualifier
    hey ichabod when u installed stiffeer springs did u went up on thicker oil or only what the big bores came with

RC poster
    I swapped my stock 3903 shocks for Losi 8ight Buggy Shocks.
    They are great.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you use just the rear shocks from the Losi buggy? Did you have to use 8 shocks or just 4?

RC poster
    I used a set of 4 buggy shocks with Fast Lane front and rear towers.....excellent

Quote Originally Posted by J_MAXX View Post
    Did you use just the rear shocks from the Losi buggy? Did you have to use 8 shocks or just 4?
    Depends on how heavy your truck is, not so heavy 4 shocks, rather heavy use 8 shocks.

On my 10lb truck I use 4 shocks.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    hey ichabod when u installed stiffeer springs did u went up on thicker oil or only what the big bores came with
    Sorry I'm just responding to your question 2010! Yes, when I installed the stiffer springs I went with a heavier 70 wt oil & stayed with the pistons that came pre-installed in the big bores.

RC poster
    what springs are you running Ichabod?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmeSDZdesigns View Post
    what springs are you running Ichabod?
    The springs that are on my 3906 E-Maxx I purchased some 11 to 12 years ago. Sorry SDZdesigns, but it's been so long that I can't remember which aftermarket company I bought them from. I did buy 2 sets of springs though, one set blue (medium) & the other set black (hard). The best combo I came up with was running 1 blue spring & 1 of the soft red springs that the big bores come with, on each corner of the truck.

RC poster
    I thought you were running losi 8ight shocks. Sorry about that