RC Qualifier

EZ Peak Plus Balance Charger Inquiry

Hello,

I've recently purchased two Lipos from SPC http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=130 for my new ESC and motor combo going to my Pede 4x4 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item460f616f37. Now I've got a EZ peak Plus charger and the JST connector doesn't connect to the balance adapter under 3S. Does this mean I've got to buy this adapter http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=156?

And once I get the right stuff to charge and balance my Lipos. What would you recommend for discharging, balancing charging and storage mode?

I appreciate your feedback because this is my first time ever using Lupos and don't want anything to go bad. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Which battery did u get?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasnoob2012 View Post
    Which battery did u get?
    SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 5000mAh, 40C, 3S, 11.1V

Lunk
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=130

RC Qualifier
    And the balance plug won't fit in the chargers balance port? That plug u mentioned in the post just extends the length of the balance wires to make it easier to connect and possibly store it in a lipo safe bag while charging....Is it possible you aren't turning the plug the right way? It will only plug in one way.. I have the same charger and a few SPC 2s batteries and they connect with no issues...I know u said u are using 3s but it should hook right up...

RC Qualifier
    And the balance plug won't fit in the chargers balance port? That plug u mentioned in the post just extends the length of the balance wires to make it easier to connect and possibly store it in a lipo safe bag while charging....Is it possible you aren't turning the plug the right way? It will only plug in one way.. I have the same charger and a few SPC 2s batteries and they connect with no issues...I know u said u are using 3s but it should hook right up...
    I will take pictures of the balance adapter and the battery connectors.

RC Qualifier
    Here are the pictures of my balance board.

RC Qualifier
    I bought this used on ebay and it seems like it's either modified or it isn't the traxxas balance board http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....ducts_id=10429 by looking at the picture on Traxxas's website.

RC Qualifier
    Here is mine...I bought my charger new....Mine is the 2s of course

RC Qualifier
    Here is mine...I bought my charger new....Mine is the 2s of course

Thanks for the picture. It's been confirmed that my balance board is not a traxxas one but another balance board compatible/not compatible for traxxas. Just looking at mine, traxxas site and your picture that I've got one that won't work with my 3S from SPC.

This is what happens when you buy something off ebay not knowing anything about the balance board or Lipo required to charge Lipo batteries. (Slowly learning) Although it isn't a big set back and will only cost me $10 for one. I'm glad I only paid $65 for this one on eBay. (You get what you paid for LOL).

Now once I get the balance board any suggestions on my battery like charge, discharge and balance charging like voltage etc?
    Last edited by jtalaue; 06-04-2013 at 12:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I am pretty simple in my use of my lipos but I think it's safe for my home and batteries...

I always run my trucks with with the low voltage cutoff turned on....I run them till cutoff....wait till they are completly cooled off....then if I am gonna use them again soon...IE the same day or within a few days I charge them back full always Balance charging...Then if I am unsure or know I am not gonna run them soon...I Storage charge them and keep them in a lipo safe bag...

RC Qualifier
    I am pretty simple in my use of my lipos but I think it's safe for my home and batteries...

I always run my trucks with with the low voltage cutoff turned on....I run them till cutoff....wait till they are completly cooled off....then if I am gonna use them again soon...IE the same day or within a few days I charge them back full always Balance charging...Then if I am unsure or know I am not gonna run them soon...I Storage charge them and keep them in a lipo safe bag...
    I appreciate your feedback!!! So Lipos safe bag what does it actually do?

So Lipos safe bag what does it actually do?
    Most people (like me) use the Traxxas lipo bag.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Most people (like me) use the Traxxas lipo bag.
    Are you all talking about http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....ducts_id=9819?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jtalaue View Post
    I appreciate your feedback!!! So Lipos safe bag what does it actually do?
    It will contain a fire in the event a lipo fails during charging

Yep, that's the one.

RC Qualifier
    It will contain a fire in the event a lipo fails during charging
    Alright I just ordered two on eBay thanks. So are you saying when I'm charging my Lipo batteries it should be stored in there or only after being fully charged store it in the bag?

So are you saying when I'm charging my Lipo batteries it should be stored in there or only after being fully charged store it in the bag?
    I charge them, and store them in my lipo bag, just to be safe.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I charge them, and store them in my lipo bag, just to be safe.
    Alright I will follow y'alls lead on this to be safe. I also have a nice safe that has nothing in it so I will use that to store them in when not in use.

RC Qualifier
    Alright I just ordered two on eBay thanks. So are you saying when I'm charging my Lipo batteries it should be stored in there or only after being fully charged store it in the bag?
    Yeah...Keep them in the bag while charging...and store them in the bag when not in use..(I never store mine fully charged or fully discharged)..Also keep them in a place away from combustable items and where a fire will be more contained...Inspect the batteries after use for damage and swelling....If they are swollen or damaged dispose of them properly

Lots of good info here!
    Here is what I was going to post... even though most of it has been covered there is a lot more info for you to reference later on...

Here are the pictures of my balance board.

That is a Thunder Power balance board.
    You will need a JST-XH balance board for SPC (and most other) batteries.
    However, I thought the Traxxas EZPeak Plus had balance connectors directly on the charger?

Now once I get the balance board any suggestions on my battery like charge, discharge and balance charging like voltage etc?
    I wrote this a while back... but most of it applies here too:

I apologize in advance for the length of this write up. However, I feel that it is important to have as much factual LiPo information as possible and to have it all in one location. Try not to get overwhelmed... just take it in bit by bit.
    That being said...

LiPo 101
    now in session

Rules
    1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack to anything
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack
    mAh x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example:
    A 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 4.4 amps.
    - Please note that if no charge C rate is stated, 1C is standard.

To calculate the constant discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    The same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

To calculate the peak/burst discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x maximum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    Again, the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 40 / 1000 = 88
    This battery pack can provide a peak discharge rate of up to 88 amps.
    Peak rates are limited in time... unfortunately, this amount of time does not have an industry standard. This is how a lot of inflated discharge ratings can be claimed. In my experience, honest retailers/manufactures of packs will list the constant discharge rating along with the burst discharge rating and not only the burst rating.

Ratings
    When setting up your power system for your RC, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be hot... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last. However, LiPo's perform at their best once they are between 100F - 120F. (yet another reason to have a temperature gun)

Parallel
    Running two LiPo's in parallel will double run time and also your available amperage... which is handy for high demand systems. Some misinformation I have read about the discharge C rating of packs in parallel is that the rating of the pack doubles. This is not the case. The C-rating of a battery pack is a fixed parameter of that pack; well actually it is the cells within the pack that have the C rating. Connecting two packs in parallel does not change either pack as they still have the same specifications, however it does create a battery "system" with twice the effective C rating. The packs are the same, but the parallel system is now theoretically capable of discharging at twice the Amp rate. This is much like the cumulative capacity available when connecting two packs in parallel.
    The packs ran in parallel MUST be of the same cell count and should be the same age, capacity, and brand.

Series
    Running two LiPo's in series will double voltage, therefore nearly doubling the speed of your RC. Capacity remains the same. The two packs ran in series MUST have the same capacity and discharge rate. Also, they should be of the same age and brand.
    Be prepared to gear down when increasing voltage on your power system.

Charging
    There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford and to ask before you purchase. Your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale or larger packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps or more. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... such as a ParaBoard, which I use.

Storage
    Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. This voltage is the only voltage that is not super critical for LiPo. Anywhere between 3.5-4v/cell is considered to be acceptable for storage.
    I suggest putting a full pack to storage voltage if it is not going to be used within 30 hours or so. The longer a pack is at full capacity, the shorter its lifespan will be.
    I also suggest bringing a pack up to storage voltage after a run. When a LiPo's voltage lowers to a certain point, they begin to loose their voltage quickly. I would hate to see you loose a pack (or more) due to not charging up within a few hours after a run.
    For long term storage; I bring my packs to storage voltage, seal them in an airtight container, and stick them in the refrigerator. As I type this, I have had my "speed" set of 3S packs in the fridge for over 8 months at storage voltage... I check them monthly and they are still at 3.85v/cell. Almost makes me regret buying them. lol

Making your LiPo's last
    I will just give an example of how much a small change in how a pack is taken care of can dramatically change how the pack behaves.
    Two identical packs were both charged and discharged in the exact same matter.... except one pack was charged to 4.20v/cell and the other to 4.10v/cell. This was done in a very controlled environment... NOT in an RC.
    After 500 cycles, the pack that was charged to 4.20v/cell had reached its life expectancy... it would not take more than 65% of its original capacity; meaning the LiPo was no longer able to be used safely.
    The pack that was charged to 4.10v/cell was still at 70% capacity after 1,000 cycles... so the .10v/cell difference more than doubled the life expectancy.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use inexpensive batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mAh and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack. SPC is a great brand that under promises and over delivers. There are others that claim extreme discharge ratings that are simply impossible with the technology that is available.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built at a very reasonable price.

I hope this information helps!!

Here are some links to some more:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rger-vs-cooker
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ply-Conversion
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking at the EZ Peak Plus Manual and I'm currently following Cycling with EZ-Peak Plus and looking at step 6 where it says "After cycling is complete, the EZ-Peak Plus will display the capacity withdrawn while discharging and stored while charging for each cycle. I don't see where it's saying DCHG/CHG with the ex 1219mah DHCG/1412mah CHG. It has discharged and recharged about 4 times already and hasn't stopped. Am I doing something wrong? Is it still not done. I am doing this on a 5100mah 7cel 8.4v battery.

I hope you are not charging your LiPo's... that charger is in NiMh mode.
    Never mind... I see you stated 7 cell.

It is discharging... that is what the "D>C" means.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 06-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I hope you are not charging your LiPo's... that charger is in NiMh mode.
    I can't charge my Lipos because I want to wait until I get my balance board at MLHS because this one didn't come with the right I bought from someone on eBay (who failed to mention that).

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking at the EZ Peak Plus Manual and I'm currently following Cycling with EZ-Peak Plus and looking at step 6 where it says "After cycling is complete, the EZ-Peak Plus will display the capacity withdrawn while discharging and stored while charging for each cycle. I don't see where it's saying DCHG/CHG with the ex 1219mah DHCG/1412mah CHG. It has discharged and recharged about 4 times already and hasn't stopped. Am I doing something wrong? Is it still not done. I am doing this on a 5100mah 7cel 8.4v battery.

When cycling...which only needs to be done every so often...it will discharge and charge as many times as you set it to....the D means it's Discharging...and C means charging....and it is a very slow process depending on what rate u charge and discharge the batteries at...