RC Qualifier

Prospective Warranty Coverage?

I have a hypothetical question. If I decide to run two 2s or 3s Traxxas LiPo packs in my E-Maxx which has a Tekin RX-8 system, and despite very careful monitoring, gearing, discharging, and balancing the packs still puff within a year, would Traxxas cover that? My SPC packs have been gradually expanding over a couple months now and I decided they were no longer safe and I would love to just go Traxxas and not worry about anything.

Traxxas does NOT warrant against puffing.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    ... My packs have been gradually expanding over a couple months now and I decided they were no longer safe and I would love to just go Traxxas and not worry about anything.
    If both packs are swelling prematurely, this a sign they were subjected to something they did not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    If both packs are swelling prematurely, this a sign they were subjected to something they did not like.
    Which is exactly the reason for the Traxxas policy.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I asked Traxxas, and the guy told me that if my truck is all stock, and my batteries are nothing less than Traxxas 5000mah 25c, my batteries are warrentied for a year. After a year, I can get a new battery for half price. He did tell me though, they are not under warrenty if the batteries are over discharged.

RC Qualifier
    I know packs should not swell, period, if properly maintained and used, but I don't know what else I could have done. I balance-charged immediately after use and never ran them to voltage cut-off. The only thing I can consider is the setup I was running was too aggressive for 6s use. I've since dropped from a 2200 kV to a 2000 kV motor, and think I'll drop down to 4s packs and see how it goes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know packs should not swell, period, if properly maintained and used, but I don't know what else I could have done. I balance-charged immediately after use and never ran them to voltage cut-off. The only thing I can consider is the setup I was running was too aggressive for 6s use. I've since dropped from a 2200 kV to a 2000 kV motor, and think I'll drop down to 4s packs and see how it goes.
    Sure LiPo packs swell. That is how they react when operated in a way that they did not like. If both packs swelled, then they definitely saw something severe or were operated in a way that caused both of them to swell. That is obvious.
    Lastly, LiPo packs can swell as they near the end of their useful operating life.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After thinking about this issue I did a little research. Could anyone tell me what the KV rating is of the stock-type Castle motor and the stock E-Maxx gearing that Traxxas supplies with that motor?

Many times a person will forget about a situation or incident that may have an impact on battery pack life:
    Last fall I plugged my two 3s LiPo batteries into my Tekin RX-8 and the ESC immediately began smoking profusely. It was perplexing since the prior run went fine with no problems which would lead me to believe the speedo would burn up like that. I disconnected and removed the batteries but the odor of burnt electronics filled my room
    It takes just one incident like this, or anything similar, to start the slow death of a LiPo pack.

RC Racer
    Maybe you didn't have the voltage cutoff right on the rx8? You have it for 6s right? Our how many cells you were running?

Sent from my iPhone 4
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    I never run more than 20 minutes with my 2 6s 5000 mAh packs, always with the appropriate cutoff setting applied.

RC Qualifier
    Jakey, my Emax came with a Castle 2200kv motor, a Mamba 1, a 68 tooth spur, and a 17 tooth pinion. Now, I have a Mamba 2. I have that, because my original Mamba went out a few months ago. I really don't stray from factory set ups with my RC stuff unless it's of a structural nature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    Jakey, my Emax came with a Castle 2200kv motor, a Mamba 1, a 68 tooth spur, and a 17 tooth pinion. Now, I have a Mamba 2. I have that, because my original Mamba went out a few months ago. I really don't stray from factory set ups with my RC stuff unless it's of a structural nature.
    Thank you for the info.