Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    843

    What wheels and tires are you using? Some observations and weights.

    I originally was using 1/8 wheels and tires, JConcepts Rulux with Proline Knuckes 2.0. I switched the Rally over to a Slash and ran stock Slash wheels and tires. Now that it is back to a Rally, I am wondering which wheels and tires I should use, SC or 1/8 buggy.

    I weighed several sets, and consistently, the 1/8 combo were almost a 1/4 lb heavier for a set of 4. I did a little more weighing today, and found a few things that were interesting.

    The SC wheels are usually around .5 oz lighter per wheel. The sc tires are usually heavier by .9 oz. The overall remaining weight difference is attibuted to the fact that most of the sc wheel/tire combos I weighed were not running molded foams, but of the one set I did weigh, the buggy foams were still a little heavier.

    So, it would seem that comparing a set of sc wheels and tires with molded foams against 1/8 buggy wheels and tires with molded foams, the average weight difference is just a little over 3 ounces.

    Now combined with the fact that the adapters needed to run 17mm wheels will obviously add a bit of weight, the 1/8 combo would be approx. 1/4 lb more in weight. The weight placement though, is obviously different. The sc combo places most of the weight at the outside, where the 1/8 combo place the weight more inside. Obviously rotational mass comes into play, and effectively makes the sc combo heavier.

    So, what wheel/tires are you guys using, and where are you using them? Track, on road, off road, etc.. What differences have you noticed between different wheel and tire combos?
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Temecula,CA (Maybe CT this summer)
    Posts
    1,415
    I am using PL beadlocks with PL switch's. From what i've heard the 1/8th scale wheels and tires help the handling bigtime.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,146
    I run pre-mounted GRP's with STRC 17mm adapters for clean, paved surfaces. Once they heat up they are awesome. Cold, they are like drift tires.

    I honestly think worrying about the weight, in particular, for onroad running, is pointless. If anything, the extra weight will likely help on road. I LOVE mine. For dirty but hard surfaces I run the stock tires. For loose soft surfaces I run HPI Trepadors or Duratrax Derringers on 1/8 buggy wheels with the same STRC 17mm adapters.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I run pre-mounted GRP's with STRC 17mm adapters for clean, paved surfaces. Once they heat up they are awesome. Cold, they are like drift tires.

    I honestly think worrying about the weight, in particular, for onroad running, is pointless. If anything, the extra weight will likely help on road. I LOVE mine. For dirty but hard surfaces I run the stock tires. For loose soft surfaces I run HPI Trepadors or Duratrax Derringers on 1/8 buggy wheels with the same STRC 17mm adapters.
    Why would you think more weight would help?

    I take it you are only bashing, no racing? For bashing, I wouldn't think it would really make a difference, for racing, heck, it still might not make a difference lol.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,146
    I think a few oz in the tires when the car is planted isnt going to have as much of an effect as sacrificing and running a less than ideal tire. Unfortunately, with this vehicle, we are VERY limited in tires that actually fit the body correctly. Most buggy wheels/tires are, in reality, too big. Most SCT tires are, again, too big to fit correctly. The 1/8 onroad GT tires fit perfectly, but theres just not that many to choose from.

    I have a set of sweep racing 55ext tires mounted on Ofna 5 spoke wheels im going to try also. Just havent had the chance lately.

    If your running off road, tire weight can actually be a help as you try to control the truck in the air. The rotational mass of the tires can be used to adjust flight angle.

    On road, id take a proper tire thats better suited to the style of driving or driving surface over a tire thats lighter but not perfectly suited to what im doing.

    Dont get me wrong. I always think lighter is always better. But if you have to sacrifice something important for a tiny bit of weight, I think the decision needs to be weighted.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think a few oz in the tires when the car is planted isnt going to have as much of an effect as sacrificing and running a less than ideal tire. Unfortunately, with this vehicle, we are VERY limited in tires that actually fit the body correctly. Most buggy wheels/tires are, in reality, too big. Most SCT tires are, again, too big to fit correctly. The 1/8 onroad GT tires fit perfectly, but theres just not that many to choose from.

    I have a set of sweep racing 55ext tires mounted on Ofna 5 spoke wheels im going to try also. Just havent had the chance lately.

    If your running off road, tire weight can actually be a help as you try to control the truck in the air. The rotational mass of the tires can be used to adjust flight angle.

    On road, id take a proper tire thats better suited to the style of driving or driving surface over a tire thats lighter but not perfectly suited to what im doing.

    Dont get me wrong. I always think lighter is always better. But if you have to sacrifice something important for a tiny bit of weight, I think the decision needs to be weighted.
    Well of course the better suited tire would be the first choice, even if it has a little more weight. I just sold my 1/8 buggy today, so the Rally is the sole rc now. In air control is an obvious area where the rotational mass can be helpful, but only if the current wheels/tires are lacking. You stated that it might help on road, so I was just curious as to why, or what your experience has been.

    I do not have much drive time on the rally, but it has been fun. I have been into rc for a while, and was getting a little burned out. The Rally is lots of fun to drive and I actually prefer it over 1/8, hence me selling my 1/8 lol.

    Not giving you a hard time, just trying to get some user input as to what people are using and why. My local track doesn't really enforce any rules, so pretty much a if you think it will help, do it The local track is like 90 miles away though, so I don't get as much track time as I would like.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,146
    I suppose I could agree that the Maxxis trepadors (belted), which are heavier than the stock tires, do have an effect on the car... something I can feel. I cant really put my finger on exactly what it is, but its noticeable. I chalked it up mostly to the tire being larger... but maybe what I was feeling was more the weight than just the extra size. I know the 1/8 onroad setup is just sweet. It FEELS light and fast. Not sure if its lighter than stock or not... It wouldnt surprise me if it was darn close. It just makes the car feel nimble on the pavement. Im guessing this has somthing to do with the short sidewall of the tire as well. Less flex equals more accurate driving feel.

    The rally did the same thing for me that it did for you. I was a little bored with RC, then the rally came along and I just got interested again. Something about this car is just different. For somethign thats really just an LCG slash it really seems to have a different personality all together. Its my favourite RC right now.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I suppose I could agree that the Maxxis trepadors (belted), which are heavier than the stock tires, do have an effect on the car... something I can feel. I cant really put my finger on exactly what it is, but its noticeable. I chalked it up mostly to the tire being larger... but maybe what I was feeling was more the weight than just the extra size. I know the 1/8 onroad setup is just sweet. It FEELS light and fast. Not sure if its lighter than stock or not... It wouldnt surprise me if it was darn close. It just makes the car feel nimble on the pavement. Im guessing this has somthing to do with the short sidewall of the tire as well. Less flex equals more accurate driving feel.

    The rally did the same thing for me that it did for you. I was a little bored with RC, then the rally came along and I just got interested again. Something about this car is just different. For somethign thats really just an LCG slash it really seems to have a different personality all together. Its my favourite RC right now.
    Agreed on the shorter sidewall for the street It's funny though, cause the Rally should have (in my opinion) come with something closer to 1/8 wheels/tires, and should have been the only Traxxas to have the LCG.

    I think I am just not a truck guy lol, I definitely prefer cars in full scale, and RC seems to be no different. The turning on the Rally is excellent, and it is just all around a good handling rc.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    405
    I run the HPI Vorza Flux buggy wheels mounted on Strc 17mm adapters. They've been working great and get really good grip on grass and gravel. The tires are similar to badlands and look awesome on the rally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •