RC Racer

re-pincher does it work?

I got a slayer 3.3(used) a few months ago and i have lost some compression. My (lets call her my "accountant" ) has cut my budget allot. So instead of 60 ish for piston and sleave,would the 30ish repincher actually work..atleast for a gallon or two?

RC Champion
    well a loss of compression isnt always a sign of a loose p/s.

when a p/s is worn out it will start then as soon as it gets any kind of heat in it itll die. and of course itll spin very freely.

if that is the case yes a re-pinch (also known as re-sizing) works very well. some say you can only do it once, others 2-3 times as long as the sleeve ans piston is still useable. as far as how long itll last well the nova .12 in my rc10gt is on about 4 gallons with a pinched piston/sleeve and still has plenty of life left in it.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Racer
    yeah its heat related, I disassembled it and I can push the piston up till the ring is flush with the top of the sleeve.
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

A while back I researched repinching and found the repinchers sold on eBay for $20 or so are just collars you can purchase at a hardware shop for much less. Even then it sounds like the results are not that great. I sent my mismatched piston and sleeve to Ray A Racing where he polished them up and repinched it and had it back to me in a week; all for around $23. Went through the break-in and the engine was like new and still runs beautifully.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....after-to-come
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Yeah i think im gonna go with ray..bettet to have a pro do it then me worrie about it..thanks
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    A while back I researched repinching and found the repinchers sold on eBay for $20 or so are just collars you can purchase at a hardware shop for much less. Even then it sounds like the results are not that great. I sent my mismatched piston and sleeve to Ray A Racing where he polished them up and repinched it and had it back to me in a week; all for around $23. Went through the break-in and the engine was like new and still runs beautifully.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....after-to-come
    The results are horrible, they do provide an uneven result. The bor of the cylinder slowly becomes smaller in order to create the seal needed for the combustion chamber. These "clamps" sold on Ebay as re-pinching devices does not do this evenly enough, So the cylinder's bore is not quite 100% oval anymore, and in some cases the bore has variations causing distortion in the stroke of the piston.... A great way to ruin a crankshaft, snap conrods in some cases... Due to the way theses things work is nothing like what Ray does....

RE-pinching is usually done with the more expensive racing engines IMHO. Like a Novarossi, Vspec, etc. Where a piston and sleeve is almost double the cost of a 3.3 piston and sleeve set....

Humm, Unless you have a few pistons and sleeves hanging around $25.00 for a re-pinch, the time to send it off and get it back, postage,,, For that I'd just get a new piston and sleeve for about $30.00 off of Fleabay.

Even a pinched sleeve done by Ray, it's not going to last as long as a new sleeve... If you have a good tune,,, 3-4 gallons tops. But for those with a couple lying around, I could see it being worth while, or for those with a very expensive Nitro engine.... I have my Vspec sleeve pinched for racing.... And yeah I have 3 sets of pistons and sleeves for it by now so I occasionally will use Ray....

HIs wark is excellent and never had any problems... Probabl;y about 1/2 the guys at our track send their high end engine pistons and sleeves in for a Ray A Racing pinch job....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    i use o.s. rocket myself, the club normally sends a few out together through one guy and we have them back in about a week or 2.

if i had one compliant its that sometimes we have guys who get them back too tight. i had this once with an rtr sportwerks engine i sent in. i aint never cussed out a block of metal so much in my life.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    i use o.s. rocket myself, the club normally sends a few out together through one guy and we have them back in about a week or 2.

if i had one compliant its that sometimes we have guys who get them back too tight. i had this once with an rtr sportwerks engine i sent in. i aint never cussed out a block of metal so much in my life.
    You are not the first to say that..... You won't be the last...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    For any of you all that don't know Rex Welch from RW Mods will also repinch sleeves. I have had both him and Ray do a sleeve for me and their work is very comparable. The good thing is Rex only charges $15 with return shipping included opposed to Ray's $24. It isn't a huge difference, but adds up quick over time. His website is www.rw-mods.com if you are interested.