RC Qualifier

My Rally is almost complete :)

So my wife bought me a Rally roller, I finished it, changed it to a Slash, but I am not a truck guy lol and it is now back to a Rally.

I ran it stock a few times at the track and did really well with it, it handles great. Hoping that in it's current form, it will be even better

Went back to 1/10 sc wheels/tires from the 1/8 buggy wheels/tires, the 1/8 wheel/tire combo weighs almost a 1/4 lb more

So now, it has the TRX aluminum bearing carrier, STRC center driveshaft, STRC esc mount, RPM arms front and rear, TRX aluminum c hubs, steering blocks and rear carriers, TRX high volume GTR shocks, TRX sway bars front and rear, Castle esc and 3800 motor. I have a center diff, but not sure if I am going to run it or not, as I do like the 4wd and have not had any issues with steering (I have been able to pretty much turn under anything ).

I will get some pics up soon.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

Sounds like you're off to a good start...Nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    With all the neat stuff on it ......we do need the pics for our viewing pleasure.......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Sounds like a good build you have going.

What 1/8 tires were you using? They sound pretty heavy.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Sounds like a good build you have going.

What 1/8 tires were you using? They sound pretty heavy.
    All 1/8 tires are similar in weight. I weighed JConcepts Rulux wheels with Proline Knuckles, Ofna dish wheels with Ofna L tires, HB dish wheels with Panther tires (don't remember which tires, think they were Pythons), Venom Rally wheels with Venom 45's tires in soft and medium, and Venom Rally wheels with Proline Crimefighters. All were within approx. .6 oz of each other.

I guess I never weighed them. I've been using suprasales and Ofna tires for quite a while but never considered the weight.

RC Qualifier
    From what I weighed, it seems that the sc rims are lighter, but the tires are heavier. I guess it is better to have a lighter overall wheel and tire, but with rotational mass coming into play, the 1/8 may be a better choice due to having the weight located a little closer to center. Hard to say since I can't be sure where the extra weight on each is carried; I would guess at the outer edge of the 1/8 rim and the extra sidewall rubber of the sc tire. If that is the case, I guess the sc wheel and tire combo would still have less rotational mass as well.

Either way, I am using 1/8 wheels/tires again lol. They just fit the Rally so much better I want to keep the Rally as light as possible, but I figured the extra weight of the wheels/tires was slightly offset by the lighter RPM arms
    Last edited by badaml; 06-05-2013 at 03:29 AM.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice and welcome to the Rally forum.

Like said above we need some pics. I'm like OG i've been trying out some suprasales tires and they've been holding up really well. How do you like the STRC center driveshaft? I have one on my Slash 4x4 and its great. Out of all the times ive busted the chassis a part on the Rally I always forget to install o-rings on the driveshaft to stop the clank. LOL

I'm in dire need of taking mine to the track. Since I have the chassis beefed up I shouldnt have any problems.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Nice and welcome to the Rally forum.

Like said above we need some pics. I'm like OG i've been trying out some suprasales tires and they've been holding up really well. How do you like the STRC center driveshaft? I have one on my Slash 4x4 and its great. Out of all the times ive busted the chassis a part on the Rally I always forget to install o-rings on the driveshaft to stop the clank. LOL

I'm in dire need of taking mine to the track. Since I have the chassis beefed up I shouldnt have any problems.
    I been on here a while, but thanks lol. I have had mine to the track a few times, does great as long as there aren't any really big jumps. I will get some pics up soon; one thing I do is run a servo extension out of the rx box and plug the esc in to the extension. Help to make quick changes to the esc without having to open the rx box up, and still retains the waterproof feature.

RC Qualifier
    So here are a few pics. Looks mostly stock , I prefer stealth over bling. Most people don't really notice any of the upgrades unless they really know the Rally

Yes, tire balancing does help

Body is a little beat up, new one coming soon

I usually use a 2s 6500mah 40c lipo. Control comes from a Futaba 3pks

I'm a big Futaba fan too. I have a couple 3pl's plus extra receivers. A lot of guys overlook the radio when they upgrade.

What balancer are you using? I have one from hobby king.

RC Qualifier
    Losi balancer. I have the adapter to do 12mm wheels to

RC Qualifier
    Well, haven't been able to run it with the new motor yet, but hopefully tomorrow The Castle 3800kv motor is out, and a Tenshock 5200kv sensored motor is in, along with a Castle Mamba Max Pro. Yeah, I lose the waterproof capability, but I never really run it in wet conditions anyways lol. Hoping I didn't lose any driveability with the new motor; even though it is more power, it is sensored so that should help out I still have the Castle 3800kv and Castle waterproof esc, so I can always put it back in if needed

I figure the extra power should help with those pesky 1/8 buggies lol.

RC Qualifier
    Tenshock motor tested, seems to be a good motor for the rally. I think I was a little undergeared, ran a 12t pinion with stock 54t spur, on stock rally wheels. Esc was 120 and motor was 160. Going to put buggy wheels back on lol, since the in air control with stock rally wheels was non existent. That should also effectively change my gearing, so a little more speed and a little less heat on the motor hopefully.

RC Champion
    Are you running 2s or 3s. 2s I assume. Do you think the tenshock 5200kv runs better than the castle 3800kv? The tenshock seems to have a pretty high kv to me for a 4x4. Nonetheless, what pinion did you use on the 3800kv motor?
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    My initial impression is yes, the Tenshock is a better motor than the Castle. Is it better by a lot? No. My buddy will be running my old setup in a Rally though, so I will have a much better idea after running them side by side. Tenshock is being run with a 12t pinion, the Castle with a 13t pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Replaced the Tenshock connectors with some Castle bullets, and a 13t pinion. All I can say is Wow! Big difference!!! Going to the track wednesday, and my buddy will be running the Castle 3800, so I will have a better idea of the differences