RC Qualifier

What Happened to my Traxxas Steel Center CVD?

I don't know what happened to my Traxxas Steel Center CVD, the shorter of the two center ones. The second half doesn't turn with the other half, leaving the front drivetrain stagnet when installed. Something isn't connected. I took some pictures. Did I snap a pin? Can this be fixed?

RC Racer
    I think you snapped a pin. Here is a picture of my CVD:

This is the pin that holds the two pieces together:

I think you should be able to get another pin pretty easily. Here is another pic:

Hope this helps

RC Champion
    Drill bit shank may work.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, and sorry for my poor pictures. Is there a Traxxas Part number for that pin? Or do I have to now find a clever way to replace it? Anyone know where I can get a replacement? Thanks !

RC Competitor
    I have that whole end, those red covers and pins. Brand new. Ill sell em to ya. Pm me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Thanks, and sorry for my poor pictures. Is there a Traxxas Part number for that pin? Or do I have to now find a clever way to replace it? Anyone know where I can get a replacement? Thanks !
    Traxxas 5129.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks !

RC Qualifier
    I've have had my Traxxas steel drive shafts and axiles for about five years, and had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. You can fix them!

Traxxas has this part number (I don't know it) that I stumbled along in the hobbie store, that has a bunch of set pins in it. There are several of the same pins, and one group of pins will be just like the one you need. Also, the pin that comes in the package of a new slipper clutch base, slipper clutch base plate, and pin: the pin is the exact pin used in our steel drive shafts and axiles. I had extra ones (cuz I never have a bad slipper clutch base plate pin), so I used it to fix my drive shaft.

All you have to do is tap out the old one (if it's bent), and tap in a new one. I used flat surface vise to hold my work, a small center tap, and a finishing nail hammer to tap the pin. I used a finishing hammer, so I wouldn't bend the pin. I was going to take pictures of how I did it, but I didn't think anybody else would ever have the same problem....sorry.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 06-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, that really helps a lot. I'll try to hunt for that Traxxas Part number, anyone is welcome to fetch it in, I haven't stumbled upon it yet. I'm glad its an easy fix, having spares will certainly make repair times minimum when i'm out enjoying this truck !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks , I want to get a live wireless camera and audio feed with a transmitter for my Emaxx. Does anyone know of any? How I can mount a wireless camera on my emaxx and have live video feed on my television or whatever with a receiver. Something like this but longer range ?:
    http://www.raidentech.com/24ghzmiwicoc.html

RC Qualifier
    I found another part number that I think will work...TRA 3654. It has 2 pins.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks !

RC Racer
    Get a drill bit that is the same size and cut a bit of the shank off. It is harder and better wearing material and a whole lot cheaper

RC Qualifier
    I thought I broke my Traxxas Steel Driveshaft for good, but maybe I was wrong; can this broken pin that goes into the drivecup be tapped out and replaced on my Traxxas Steel Driveshaft?
    Are those the same pins that go in these ball ends of my Traxxas Steel Shaft where I've got half of one still there and half broken off?

RC Qualifier
    It looks like you have a picture of an axle. The other above pictures look as though they are drive shafts. To answer your question; I know you can tap out the pin, but I'm not sure if your pictured pin is the same size as the above pictured pin. I do know one thing, however. I know that Traxxas share a lot of parts, and I'll bet if you look around you'll find what need.

RC Competitor
    I just broke the exact same pin today (on the axle where it goes into the drive cup). Anyone figure out a good fix for this? Looks like a 1/8 drill bit shank is barely too big to fit, and 3/32 is too small. I'm also concerned that the replacement pin will work itself free and fly out. It'll only have the blue boot to hold it in. It's unfortunate that the axles don't have the red aluminum cuff to hold the pins in place. The original pin was a pain to get out because it's crammed in there pretty good (I may have even bent the axle a bit).

RC Competitor
    Looks like this is the steel axle replacement (TRA5154). There are also replacement shafts for the front center (TRA5187) and rear center (TRA5188).