Thread: 3.3 idle issue

RC poster

3.3 idle issue

I have a new trx 3.3 in my nitro slayer pro, only has about 2 qts through it including break in. Break in was done properly and has been tuned correctly. I can't seem to get it to hold an idle without the rpms increasing and the truck will move forward if I'm not on the breaks constantly. If I try to decrease the idle via the idle screw it dies, it's all or nothing. Any clues as to what the problem is? I'm hoping to make it to my first race Sunday. I'm semi new to nitro. Thanks in advance.

RC poster
    I've also tried fattening the LSN in attempt to tame the idle, it's about as rich as I can go while still maintaining crisp throttle response and bottom end power.

RC Qualifier
    See if it will idle with the wheels off the ground. If it will, it's the spring around the clutch has broken.

RC Champion
    Can you pop off the air filter and snap a picture of what it looks like down the throat?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    See if it will idle with the wheels off the ground. If it will, it's the spring around the clutch has broken.
    It's for sure not a clutch issue. Went through clutch issues with my 4-tec before I sold it so I know those symptoms.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    Can you pop off the air filter and snap a picture of what it looks like down the throat?

It may be open a bit much, but any less and it'll die. The way I know it's not the clutch, I can hold the brakes and it won't die it just idles really high.

RC Qualifier
    If it has a high idle with a good idle gap the lsn is to lean.

RC poster
    If it has a high idle with a good idle gap the lsn is to lean.
    If I fatten the lsn anymore I run into a bogging issue

RC Qualifier
    Then it sounds like an air leak. Spray mild soapy water around the outside of the carb and engine. You should be able to see it if there is one.

RC poster
    Then it sounds like an air leak. Spray mild soapy water around the outside of the carb and engine. You should be able to see it if there is one.
    While running?

RC Qualifier
    Yea, just make sure your air filter is on.

RC poster
    Wound up not testing for leaks, I had suspected a leak also due to excessive dust collecting around the back plate so I just went ahead and pulled the motor so I can seal it at work tomorrow. I'll report back when it's back together. Thanks.

RC poster
    Sealed it up today, got it back in the truck retuned it and it runs great! Thanks mark ball!

RC Qualifier
    Cool man, it always makes you feel good when your motor runs good.