Thread: Prop adaptor

RC Racer

Prop adaptor

Ok I got this spare 3.3 motor and was wondering if in any way put a prop on it to make a airboat ? Or just trade or sell it and get a plane motor ? Sorry for the spelling ive had a few drinks tonite... lol

RC Qualifier
    Any car or tuck motor wouldn't be a good choice for an airboat. They can't handle sustained high rpm's. Airplane and helicopter engines are made for that. For an airboat I would recommend getting a big one, because airplanes don't have the extra drag of water. I saw a beautiful 50cc 4 cylinder airplane motor at my lhs that would be perfect. Yea, and it's only $1500.

RC Champion
    It's worth a shot

Actually aircraft motors don't really turn that many rpms. Probably half of what we see out of our surface engines. It's just the power curves are totally different. For planes they go for a little more torque to swing the prop rather than top end power.

You might actually be ok using that motor for an airboat. I just looked at the motor for the Aquacraft Alligator Tours airboat and it maxes out at 28,000 rpm which is close to a surface engines rpms. You might look at the break down views of that airboat to see how it's rigged up to fit a prop.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    You might actually be ok using that motor for an airboat. I just looked at the motor for the Aquacraft Alligator Tours airboat and it maxes out at 28,000 rpm which is close to a surface engines rpms. You might look at the break down views of that airboat to see how it's rigged up to fit a prop.
    Most of the TRX engines maximum functional RPM's is more like 36,000 which is a little ways away from 28,000 rpms..

But, this is going to be VERY dependant on the weight of the boat and the pitch of the prop... So, I'm going to say, I have no clue cause I have no experience with airboats...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Racer
    Just need to use less pitch then. That airboat also has what a .26 or .28 motor so yes maybe a smaller prop and less pitch. Funny thing is I had an old electric prop mount that has a 5mm shaft mount and it fits right on the TRX shaft lol but im not going to use it for that now but see about trading it or selling it.

Seems this thread has ran it course then.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...