Thread: 1/16 help!!!

RC poster

1/16 help!!!

Hey everyone!

I had some questions that two days of searching has yielded no real results. I have the 1/16 E-Revo, and I am upgrading to the Brushless 380 and VXL ESC. Along with that, my dream battery setup is a safe LiPo parallel set. I am currently looking at two different Traxxas batteries, the 25C 7.4V 2S (2200mAh) and the 25C 11.1V 3S (1400 mAh). I am going to buy two of one of these choices, so along with these, I have two questions:

1) Both batteries have reviews placing the run times in parallel around 45 mins to an hour, but logic would suggest the 2200 mAh battery to have a longer runtime, am I missing something here? If they have comparable runtimes, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

2) To run safely in parallel, but with an ESC with only one LVC connection, how do I maintain LVC for both batteries on the Traxxas LVC? Can I permanently parallel these batteries together and charge them/run them off one balance connector (I.E., forever treat them as one battery)?

Thanks for the help, I figured an updated response to these questions would be helpful to more than just me!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Since you are going to be running the 3M, I suggest sticking to 2S. While the ESC is capable of 3S voltage, if you read the manual you should notice that 3S running is only for short periods of time on relatively smooth flat surfaces with frequent stops to check system temperatures. I don't know about you, but I would rather sacrifice a little unusable speed for less headache.

I ran 2200's in parallel and easily got 1+ hour run times...

As soon as any two batteries are properly hooked in parallel you just created a single battery system... meaning with two 2S 2200mAh packs you created a single 2S 4400mAh pack. Because of this, cell voltage is the exact same from one pack to another... so there is no need to monitor each pack separately.

I do not recommend permanently connecting any two packs in parallel.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.