RC Enthusiast

Should I get an iPhone

I am coming due for a cell phone upgrade. I was thinking about an iPhone. I currently have a android based phone. I have a few questions.

How are iPhones for free apps?

Are there things that I could do with an iPhone that I can't with a droid, or vice versa?

I guess that I am looking for pros and cons of the iPhone. I am happy with the droid, just maybe want a change.

Also I don't want this thread to become a war for iphone vs droid users, Just looking for some opinions, so I can make my decision. Thanks!

RC Racer
    I have an iPhone 5 and I love it but only beats my brothers droid in download when we have LTE. There aren't many place that have it so most of the time his phone downloads faster than mine.

E-Maxx. Spartan. 4x4 slash. 2x4 slash x 3. Mini revo and summit
    E-Maxx kershaw 700`s 4x2 slash 4x4 slash vxl

RC Qualifier
    My dad has an iPhone 5 and he LOVES it... I just got an iPod touch 5 for my bday and I love it too...
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Champion
    I would wait for the new I phone that is coming out in June sometime.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    iPhone 5 is great. Plenty of free apps if you look in the right places. Also IOS has a program called IMessage which makes texting much faster 75% of the time.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Racer
    I phones are cool no doubt but so are the other phones if you want a big screen don't git the I phone because it's better choices out I have a iPhone because I already had like 200 apps and didn't want to start over but now that I have a iPad I want a galaxy s4

RC Champion
    My vote would be no.

I've had the iPhone 4 since it came out (I'm on my 3rd one)
    After a few months they slow down and get glitchy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    My vote would be no.

I've had the iPhone 4 since it came out (I'm on my 3rd one)
    After a few months they slow down and get glitchy.
    I'm with you. I came from a blackberry to iPhone I just needed the FaceTime app. I hate this phone. Iv replaced it 2 times in 6 months. I don't have a lot of apps or junk on it. Find it extremely slow.

RC Enthusiast
    I have one, it's pretty cool. Very fast and it has lots of good games/apps for free. I would say yes.
    "Bagginses? What is a Bagginses?"

It really is a lot of preference, their is nothing meaningful that either does that the other won't, however the galaxy s4 has a better camera and higher resolution screen and comes with a tempered glass screen. You could wait for the newer iphone, but it always seem like IMO people are waiting on apple to catch up to the droid phones.

I am not an apple fan for one reason, I like choices being forced to use itunes and i this and i that...not for me. I like my pc and I like my blackberry, however, it is almost upgrade time for me too and my old torch isn't cutting the mustard these days no flash player and a camera that stopped working (my fault-dropping my phone is apparently not conducive to long hardware life, lol) makes me want something better. But the new BB Z10 i am just not sure about, my wife has an HTC vivid and I don't hate it but the menus and icons aren't intuitive and leaving wifi and mobile internet on kills her battery.

I am looking at a galaxy s4, HTC one, and the BB Z10. For me email and notifications are what I like about my current phone, the RIM network isn't clogged up with droid and apple users so emails come through without me ever having to do anything special like click an app. Truthfully I am not seeing a phone that excites me like my torch did a few years ago, if the camera had continued working I would just hang on to it. But replacing it is as expensive as getting an upgrade.

Do lots or research or use the return policy if you need to, I am doing the former and will consider the latter. If I don't like it in 14 days I never will and $35 is a lot better than having a phone you dislike.

My last bit of advice is don't get hung up on details figure out what is important to you. Remember it will only be the latest and greatest for about a month anyway then something better will always come along, so if like me your not intrigued wait it out a little longer you will have more reviews to look at if nothing else.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    I own the 5 ... Bought samsung 3S and sent it back after 1 week. iPhone is far better in functionality and one stop shop with iTunes. Downloads are super fast. All depends on your carrier. Get one and never look back

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    A lot of people are switching to the s4 and note 2 over the Iphone. the new s4 and note 2 are awesome and kills the iphone in embarrasment with battery life. my wife is getting an s4 now soon once her iphone contract is out.

I have the note 2 and like the S pen makes it so much easier to do everything. best part of andriod is the fact that your not locked into i tunes but can still use it. you have a lot more customizable options as well. and more apps if you go outside the app store and you don't even need to jail break. It may take a little longer to get use to the samsung over the i phone but thats just because it does more.

RC Qualifier
    Iphone is a step down from droid

RC Champion
    Just got the Note 2... haven't seen anything that compares and I used to have a Galaxy S2 and host of iDevices. The Note2 and S4 would be my only serious suggestions, the HTC One is a very close second!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    IMO there are 2 real differences and reasons to get one over another.

If you want a phone that you dont need to mess with and dont want to customize/mod etc. Get the iPhone. When paired with iTunes everything works seamlessly and without hassle. It does what its designed to do VERY well and pretty much works every time.

If you like to fiddle, customize and mod your phone... get the android. Its an open source system so you can pretty much do whatever you want. But, its not as "plug in and go" as the iPhone is and its integration for photos, music and video from your computer to the device isnt as "easy" as it is with iTunes.

In terms of durability and reliability, everyone is going to know "someone" who has had any one of these devices either survive brutal punishment or, die for no reason. None of these companies or products are without their flaws and/or issues.

I prefer my iPhone because I have NO interest in modding or fiddling with things. The camera in the iPhone 5 is excellent. Im not a professional photographer, I just take family pics and stuff and its great. The screen is more than clear and crisp enough to watch movies or view photos or websites. I like everything about it other than the battery life. But, honestly, it lasts a day and just a little more and I have lots of chargers.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I am gonna say go with a Samsung... I may be Android bias but they seen to be advancing more than apple is..
    Everyone I know that has had a simple mid of line Android like the iPhone better but everyone I know who had a went from.iphone to Samsung loves it way more.
    Everyone says Android is for fiddling and stuff but honestly when I got mine I didn't do any of that, I don't know much about music since I haven't used it on my s2x, I don't like iTunes never world for me lol but I use my phone for browsing the Web apps such as tapatalk and a few games.
    It hasn't let me down and I absolutely love it.
    Take a Android you won't regret it
    If your going to go with a Android go Samsung.
    Hope this helps a bit

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Enthusiast
    I would also say no. There is nothing that is cutting edge about an iphone when it comes to technology or performance. It is just a fad imo. I tried iphone and felt like i was being controlled or in jail. It really locks you in a box and wont let you do what you want. There is almost no customization. Apple was only ahead of the game when they first released the iphone, over the past few years android really got their act together and is amazing imo. I switched to android and love it. The performance is better on my s2 skyrocket than the iphone 5 and has a big screen with good graphics. It is all about what YOU want though. Android has some really good features that ios doesnt. I prefer android. If you do go android look at the htc one or samsung galaxy s4, both really great phones.

I'm happy with my Iphone 4 but I didn't have to pay for it, my company does. It functions as it supposed to and it does not have any issues I can say are bad..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    I have the "Zack Morris" cell phone and its awesome lol. Seriously though, I love my Android HTC. It's been a good phone. But then again I don't use itunes. I've never Realy liked Apple products so I am afraid to try the iPhone. The apple computers used to bite me in the rear in my computer repair days.
    Last edited by Bloody_Wheels; 05-29-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtburner12 View Post
    I tried iphone and felt like i was being controlled or in jail.
    I think thats why they call it jailbreak

Also, I prefer my HTC EVO 4G over my sisters iPhone 4s.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the replies! I am just starting my research, a lot of guys that I know just switched to the iphone, but they have not had them long enough for them to give a good review, so to speak. Nothing is worse than getting a phone, or anything for that matter, and not like it. Thanks again, I always can count on you guys for help.

RC Qualifier
    Haha might as well, almost everyone has one by now it's ridiculous

RC Qualifier
    The s4 is amazing... got it today and wow. Makes my old s2 look lame

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Qualifier
    I have the HTC DNA and love it, and I dont do anything apple. Guy at work bought a Iphone and now wishes he would have went with a android my brother dumped his Iphone after I got my first driod and now he has the s3, almost everyone I know that has a iphone doesn't like it or got rid of it for a android base phone...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Racer
    My iPhone 4 is 2 years old and it works perfectly. I find it a lot smoother then my droids in the past.

Sent from my iPhone 4
    Summit

My wife has an iPhone and she facetimes her daughters. Which is like live video, and its pretty amazing. And she can text from WiFi areas when she doesn't have traditional cell phone reception.

I plan to get one this fall.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    I have the HTC DNA and love it, and I dont do anything apple. Guy at work bought a Iphone and now wishes he would have went with a android my brother dumped his Iphone after I got my first driod and now he has the s3, almost everyone I know that has a iphone doesn't like it or got rid of it for a android base phone...
    Okaaayyyyy...
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    My wife has an iPhone and she facetimes her daughters. Which is like live video, and its pretty amazing. And she can text from WiFi areas when she doesn't have traditional cell phone reception.

Very good phone.
    Matthew 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post

There is nothing special about that, sorry to break that news to you. I can send text messages without a phone using my pc. And I believe there is a skype app for android which would be OMG just like facetime. This day and age their is nothing special about one phone over another, except that android is open and can be tailored to your preferences. Iphone is easy to use and works within it's own limits, or the limits of your wallet. I just got the samsung galaxy s4 and I will be the first to say their is entirely too much going on in android to make it easy to use, at first. After a few weeks you get the hang of it and the nice thing about either is that with the number of apps available you can always find something new to do with your phone. Android is nice because the number of free apps is outrageous. As far as security, blackberry has everyone beat, but remember that the most unsecure part of any device is the user.

My advice is try the one that you really want first that way if you don't like it you still can go with your second choice, that is what I ended up doing, I gave the blackberry a shot but it just didn't do it for me. If they get it to run android apps seamlessly I will be all over it in the future. Good luck making your choice.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    There is nothing special about that, sorry to break that news to you. I can send text messages without a phone using my pc. And I believe there is a skype app for android which would be OMG just like facetime. This day and age their is nothing special about one phone over another, except that android is open and can be tailored to your preferences. Iphone is easy to use and works within it's own limits, or the limits of your wallet. I just got the samsung galaxy s4 and I will be the first to say their is entirely too much going on in android to make it easy to use, at first. After a few weeks you get the hang of it and the nice thing about either is that with the number of apps available you can always find something new to do with your phone. Android is nice because the number of free apps is outrageous. As far as security, blackberry has everyone beat, but remember that the most unsecure part of any device is the user.

My advice is try the one that you really want first that way if you don't like it you still can go with your second choice, that is what I ended up doing, I gave the blackberry a shot but it just didn't do it for me. If they get it to run android apps seamlessly I will be all over it in the future. Good luck making your choice.
    I don't know anyone who has live 2-way vid ala skype on their android, and I don't care what your pc can do, we're talking about phones here.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...