Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742

    Woops!! Carnage pics.

    Just imstalled my new slipper clutch which I shredded last weekend. About five minutes into riding wheelies down the street, I was getting toward the edge of the street, so I let off the throttle, set the front end down and BAM!! I hit a chunk of the sidewalk that was poking up. My truck went from 25-30 mph to zero instantly! I couldn't even tell what i hit. The sidewalk looked smooth. The chunk was sticking up maybe half to three quarters of an inch. But with the way the front end dips, thats all it took. All I saw was my truck stop and my skid plate protector fly in the air. I was worried I snapped my new hr bulkhead. But that thing held strong. I'll be needing a new chassis and front skidplate though. So here's a couple pics. Enjoy. Lol





    addicted much....

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    Here's a couple more, just discovered I broke the esc mounting plate too.



    addicted much....

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    BNE
    Posts
    704
    Ouch! Thats gotta hurt.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brookline, NH
    Posts
    1,161
    That's a bummer. But we love to see the pics. Now would be a good time to go flm chassis.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    Unlucky mate...I do like the look of a FLM chassis, expensive but nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    520
    That's too bad. I bet that chassis is really pricey. We can all relate to crash damage, though. It's kind of like, when you take your sweetheart to the movies, and some guy gets slammed in the toots. All the guys go...eewww ouch, and scrunch up. The girls look around and say what? All guys can relate to crash damage and squished toots.

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    That's too bad. I bet that chassis is really pricey. We can all relate to crash damage, though. It's kind of like, when you take your sweetheart to the movies, and some guy gets slammed in the toots. All the guys go...eewww ouch, and scrunch up. The girls look around and say what? All guys can relate to crash damage and squished toots.
    Hahaha!! For sure. As far as a pricey chassis. I'm starting to learn that sometimes it's good to have a weak link. Standard chassis are cheap and I can swap everything over in an hour. I have an erevo also and I keep twisting drive shafts on it. Irritating... for some. But it saves the differentials. Its a matter of perspepctive I guess.
    addicted much....

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dawson creek bc
    Posts
    1,108
    Some aluminum skids would sure give the bulk/chassis area some ridgity

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    Some aluminum skids would sure give the bulk/chassis area some ridgity
    I had some. I took them off though. I have what some people would call an agressive driving style. Lol I kept bending them so I went back to stock skid plates. Again a weak link to keep from having to replace all the expensive parts. I have to to say, I'm really impressed with the hr bulkheads. I read a review saying the guy "barely" hit something and broke the front bulkhead. Tell you what, if something's going to break a bulkhead, it would be that solid hit the front one just took. I may have to re-tap the screw holes for the skid plate, but other than that, the bulkhead is stil in tact.
    I'd recommend them to anyone.
    addicted much....

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    537
    I snapped my chassis in the same place this last winter. My fender bender was pretty lame but the cold probably contributed to the break. This was the one time I left my rollcage off and it snapped in half. Happy to report the bulkheads survived.



  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chatsworth GA
    Posts
    101
    Man I cant remember how many chassis I have broken in that same spot. Mostly doing back-flips off the big jumps at the track. I am also like you, I like to have a weak point. Plastic shafts save the diffs. I think I would rather loose a bulkhead instead of a chassis though.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    I have seen a few chassis snap like that on here......what are you're guys thoughts on the FLM chassis?
    Rock n Rolla !

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    Yeah, a bulkhead is much easier to replace, but I already have these shiny hr bulkheads! Lol
    addicted much....

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.Wales,uk
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    I have seen a few chassis snap like that on here......what are you're guys thoughts on the FLM chassis?
    I have seen lots of chassis snap there. Check my sig.lol.

    According to Traxxas its not common enough for them to make a change. YEAH RIGHT. Come on Traxxas sort it out.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,377
    I don't know why they don't make it a little stronger with just a little more width for the batteries (5mm more on each side), they already revised the chassis for the Stampede 4x4, I don't see why they can't do that here...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    muscoda, wi
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    I had some. I took them off though. I have what some people would call an agressive driving style. Lol I kept bending them so I went back to stock skid plates. Again a weak link to keep from having to replace all the expensive parts. I have to to say, I'm really impressed with the hr bulkheads. I read a review saying the guy "barely" hit something and broke the front bulkhead. Tell you what, if something's going to break a bulkhead, it would be that solid hit the front one just took. I may have to re-tap the screw holes for the skid plate, but other than that, the bulkhead is stil in tact.
    I'd recommend them to anyone.
    i use hr bulks. i love them. so much easier/quicker to change out a diff. i have a set of locked diffs that i trow in occasionally. plus i take out the front diff to make 2wd sometimes also ( im a old sportmaxx basher) i do miss the 2wd sometimes..
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    520
    I bet if you made a aluminum doubling plate, that would do the trick. You would want to make it out of aircraft grade aluminum. It's a way harder aluminum, and you would want the grain of the aluminum to be perpendicular to the screw holes.

    P.S. Also, I would make the thickness about 40 thou with tight screw holes.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 05-28-2013 at 04:06 PM.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermaxx View Post
    I have seen lots of chassis snap there. Check my sig.lol.

    According to Traxxas its not common enough for them to make a change. YEAH RIGHT. Come on Traxxas sort it out.
    Love the sig mate...Nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.Wales,uk
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I don't know why they don't make it a little stronger with just a little more width for the batteries (5mm more on each side), they already revised the chassis for the Stampede 4x4, I don't see why they can't do that here...
    I had an email from Traxxas when I questioned the integrity of the chassis and it wasnt very nice. It really knocked my confidence with Traxxas and have since started moving to other brands where to original product was stronger. Although I did mod a Maxx 3.3 chassis to use as a BL base.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    Well, got a new chassis and extended hold downs on the way. Gonna dye this one black, and hopefully get some dirt flying by sunday. It's funny, got kinda bored with my emaxx when i finished building my pede. But lately the maxx is the one I wanna drive the most! Figures! Lol
    addicted much....

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    Ok, finally found some time to dye my new chassis and swap every thing over. The extended hold downs barely fit over my 8200mah 2s spc's!







    Here's a couple pics.
    addicted much....

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. MITCH316's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,255
    Good to see its almost assembled and ready to rock...Nice .
    Rock n Rolla !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •