Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

sidewinder sct 3800kv with 3s on slash 2wd

Hello everyone...

i have slash with sidewinder sct 3800kv combo.
    i don't have lipo battery yet. i want to buy one, just still confused about 2s or 3s lipo battery.
    from what i read from the esc drivers & gearing chart, i'ts can handle 3s with 14-19t 90t spur. and also can handle 6-7 cell NIMH battery with programing the Setting:

cutoff voltage to: None
    Does not cut off or limit the motor due to low voltage. Do not use with any Lithium Polymer
    packs! Applications: Any racing or bashing situation with 6-8 cell NiCad or NiMH packs.

my question is the esc can handle 3s/ 7cell nimh battery? (i'm asking, because a lot of forums debating that this esc can only handle 2s max).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by rajadody View Post
    Hello everyone...

i have slash with sidewinder sct 3800kv combo.
    i don't have lipo battery yet. i want to buy one, just still confused about 2s or 3s lipo battery.
    from what i read from the esc drivers & gearing chart, i'ts can handle 3s with 14-19t 90t spur. and also can handle 6-7 cell NIMH battery with programing the Setting:

cutoff voltage to: None
    Does not cut off or limit the motor due to low voltage. Do not use with any Lithium Polymer
    packs! Applications: Any racing or bashing situation with 6-8 cell NiCad or NiMH packs.

my question is the esc can handle 3s/ 7cell nimh battery? (i'm asking, because a lot of forums debating that this esc can only handle 2s max).

Thanks in advance for any help.
    The sidewinder isn't rated for a 3s lipo in a slash,their a bit to heavy.
    You would be taking a risk imo.
    Maybe in a lighter rc.
    I have a few sidewinders but if I was to run a 3s(witch I wouldn't do any way)I would but the mamba max pro esc in it.
    The lipo cut off doesn't limit the power at all,it just stops the truck before the battery gets low enough to hurt it.
    Their default cut off is 3.2,this is a bit on the low side.
    The first thing I do with all my castle systems is change the lipo cut off to 3.5 volts per cell.
    Best of luck to you.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    The sidewinder isn't rated for a 3s lipo in a slash,their a bit to heavy.
    You would be taking a risk imo.
    Maybe in a lighter rc.
    I have a few sidewinders but if I was to run a 3s(witch I wouldn't do any way)I would but the mamba max pro esc in it.
    The lipo cut off doesn't limit the power at all,it just stops the truck before the battery gets low enough to hurt it.
    Their default cut off is 3.2,this is a bit on the low side.
    The first thing I do with all my castle systems is change the lipo cut off to 3.5 volts per cell.
    Best of luck to you.
    Thank you for the help.

It's confusing me because the castle gear guide says that it can use 2-3s with 3800kv motor for slash 2wd with stock wheels & 2s with slash 4x4.
    But I will go 2s then.

What I mean with cutoff voltage is if I want to use 7 cell nimh. Because the default setting is for the lipo. I read in other forums that the esc not work with 7 cell nimh. (the gear chart show that the esc can handle 7cell). I contact the castle, but still no answer).

For 2s, What C rating I should use?

Thanks.

What I mean with cutoff voltage is if I want to use 7 cell nimh.
    With a NiMh battery,you don't want to use the lipo mode,it will cause the esc to shut down way to soon.
    If you have a field card or the castle,you can do it that way,if not look at the booklet it came with and you can set it manually.

RC Competitor
    The default setting is cut at 3.2v per cell which is for lipo battery. So I have to set to none, right?
    It's says best for 6-7 cell nimh.

With the default setting of the esc, will my nimh battery works? Or I have to set it first?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rajadody View Post

For 2s, What C rating I should use?
    should be at least 25C
    Never trust a fart.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    should be at least 25C
    What is the different of 25C and 40C? Is 40C better?
    Sorry for asking too much. I haven't well known about electrical.

RC Qualifier
    The higher the "C" rating the higher discharge the battery can put off.. Also makes the esc work less to draw power from the battery, making the esc run cooler..

The higher the C the better.

Ask all the questions you want...that's what this forum is for.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Competitor
    So there is no limit for esc to handle C rating.

I think I will go 30-40C for my esc.

I didn't received my esc yet. It's on shipping process. I'll updated the thread soon I get it.

Thanks a lot for the help..

Don't forget the C-rating on itself says nothing. A 6000mAh 20C can deliver the same discharge current as a 3000mAh 40C.
    You have to multiply the C-rating with the capacity to get the maximum discharge current.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    From what I just got info, yes it's the same amps if we multiply the capacity to the C rating.

6000mAh x 20C = 120000mAh = 120amps
    3000mAh x 30C = 120000mAh = 120amps

It's both measure to 120amps.
    Is the 120amps is the right choice of sidewinder esc? What amps is sidewinder sct? On the manual, castle didn't say about that.
    Or maybe I can go 150amps? (3000mAh 50C)

Is more amps can push the motor to run more torque & speed?

im actually liking this topic. let me start by saying something...... nothing good ever comes from a 3s lipo. it will honestly do nothing but break everything and is overkill on a 2wd slash. i litterly have one that im not even using because its stupid fast. and very hard to control. i was passing traffic in a 55mph zone and i had to drill holes in body to even run above half throttle with body on. there good for speed runs and thats about it.

i have 5000mah 25c lipos. so if im right thats what 125A?

the ones i want to get from spc are 5000mah 50c so thats 250A?

what exactly does this mean? the battery can discharge at this rating?

how do you know how much power you will need? i ask because i plan on running the 3800kv castle motor as well.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    im actually liking this topic. let me start by saying something...... nothing good ever comes from a 3s lipo. it will honestly do nothing but break everything and is overkill on a 2wd slash. i litterly have one that im not even using because its stupid fast. and very hard to control. i was passing traffic in a 55mph zone and i had to drill holes in body to even run above half throttle with body on. there good for speed runs and thats about it.

i have 5000mah 25c lipos. so if im right thats what 125A?

the ones i want to get from spc are 5000mah 50c so thats 250A?

what exactly does this mean? the battery can discharge at this rating?

how do you know how much power you will need? i ask because i plan on running the 3800kv castle motor as well.
    Maybe because I don't have an experience in electric, specially brushless power, and I wan't to get the best performance of my slash.

Esc, motor & battery is not cheap for me.. So I can just buy one & another.
    I hope with help from this forum, I can choose what best electric of my slash.

I'm not sure about how much power that I need. The xl-5 is fast enough for me. I just still curious about brushless power.
    Last edited by rajadody; 05-27-2013 at 07:11 PM.

The xl-5 is fast enough for me
    The older mxl-5 wouldn't even start with a 3s,and the titan was not made for 3s.
    This is just my opinion n
    but 3s is to much for a slash,even a brush less velineon.
    They will run on one,but as stated above,the truck is over powered and near impossible to control.
    Not to mention any real track has a 2s limit due due to much carnage with a 3s powered slash.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    The older mxl-5 wouldn't even start with a 3s,and the titan was not made for 3s.
    This is just my opinion n
    but 3s is to much for a slash,even a brush less velineon.
    They will run on one,but as stated above,the truck is over powered and near impossible to control.
    Not to mention any real track has a 2s limit due due to much carnage with a 3s powered slash.
    Yes, now I know that 3s way to much for slash.
    I think I'll go 2s.

I just can waiting for my esc & motor. Now I search for 2s lipo battery. I plan to use 2s 5000mAh 30c.

And then, I think I'll still have to find gearing for it.

depending on what your doing will depend on the gears you can run. for example i run stock gearing of 23/86 on my slash but i have an aluminum motor mount with the rpm transmission case and esc fan to be safe. i use this gearing to race dirt oval and never have problems with overheating.

but before the aluminum motor mount i was running 76/23 bashing without much of heat issues. now that excessive and not full throttle all the time either. but if you want to be safe then 22 or 21 tooth pinion and the stock 86 tooth spur will do just fine without overheating issues.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    depending on what your doing will depend on the gears you can run. for example i run stock gearing of 23/86 on my slash but i have an aluminum motor mount with the rpm transmission case and esc fan to be safe. i use this gearing to race dirt oval and never have problems with overheating.

but before the aluminum motor mount i was running 76/23 bashing without much of heat issues. now that excessive and not full throttle all the time either. but if you want to be safe then 22 or 21 tooth pinion and the stock 86 tooth spur will do just fine without overheating issues.
    For esc fan, from what I read, I think I'll use the motor fan that included with combo. It says can step down the heat.

To find the right gear is not easy to do. For that I order temp. Gun, but not yet a spur & pinion. I'll start with stock pinion & spur, and start to measure the temp. From there I think I'll find it step by step.

I'll go slow to build my slash. I'm a carefull rc driver. I never push hard my rc. I only bashing at my backyard, sometimes inside the house.
    I plan to make my own mini track, hope can do it soon.

RC Racer
    Personally - and there a lot more experienced people around here than me - I'm with the 3S is overkill crowd. Good high mah (4500 upwards) and high C rating 2S (40C upwards) batteries are plenty for a Slash with a velenion. You mention bashing in a back yard and house and that to me sounds like confined space - in which case leave 3S alone or you spend more time and money fixing things than playing with the truck. But as I said, what do I know

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    Personally - and there a lot more experienced people around here than me - I'm with the 3S is overkill crowd. Good high mah (4500 upwards) and high C rating 2S (40C upwards) batteries are plenty for a Slash with a velenion. You mention bashing in a back yard and house and that to me sounds like confined space - in which case leave 3S alone or you spend more time and money fixing things than playing with the truck. But as I said, what do I know
    Yes, i'll go 2s 5000mAh 40C lipo.

if your just looking for in house and backyard bashing i dont think you will even need a 40c to be honest. my 25c 2s 5000's do just fine for both bashing and racing on the velineon. so if you can find a quality battery thats 25C+ then your good to go i would say. you dont need 40C but if you find a good deal on a quality one dont pass it up. i plan on picking up some of the 30C and 50C 5000mah 2s packs from spc to run in both my basher 4x4 slash on a velineon system and my racing 2wd which now has the velineon but will have a castle system in it in the near future. you can get a single spc 30c 5000 2s for $37 shipped just for an idea though.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    i'm not sure about the battery brand. i'm still look around for it. traxxas lipo maybe, or china brand that more cheap.

23/86 = 3.73 gear ratio
    76/23 = 3.30 gear ratio
    86/21 = 4.09 gear ratio

so, the 4.09 is more cooler to the ESC & Motor than smaller 3.73 gear ratio, right?
    the 3.73 is more torque, the 4.09 is more top speed. am i right?

what is the basic of gearing ratio?

RC Qualifier
    Yup. When you have a smaller pinion gear, it takes more turns for it to make a full turn of the spur, meaning less speed, but more torque.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    86/21 = 4.09 gear ratio and 52/13 is a 4.0 gear ratio, that means the same ratio & will the sama effect to ESC & Motor.

i think i got it. so if i want more torque, i have to lower the ratio, but have to control the heat of ESC & motor until i get the right set of gear.

RC Qualifier
    If you want more torque you have to make the ratio higher actually, the ratio is how many turns of the pinion it takes to make one of the spur.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

the higher the gear ratio numerically (10 bigger than 7 for example) the more torque but the less speed. the easier it is for your car to move (because you have more torque) the less heat will be produced as a side effect. the heat is what kills things. to be safe from stock gearing you should drop your pinion size one tooth which is 22t for a 2s. drop it 2 teeth for a 3s. which would be a 21t pinion.

thats right from traxxas i believe. to get more torque from whatever you have there are two options. smaller pinion or bigger spur gear
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Maybe I can help you out a bit here. I have two slashes, both 2wd.. one has the newest sct system with the 3800 4 pole the other has a mamba max pro and a 5700 4 pole.. I've run 3s on the 3800 several times and it was fine. The newer esc has a built in fan to control heat generated from the BEC... Yes I said BEC.. excess voltage is shed away in the form of heat.. the older units didn't have this and thats one of the biggest reasons for the rating.. A good fan on the esc SCT and you can safely run a 3S.. that being said, two other things can happen.. 1. If you develope a problem, your warranty can be voided... 2. You most likely will crash the Slash and probably break something. Its not worth running on 3s as the truck is too fast for the body and will only flip over.. It get old fast.. there are so many gearing option for the 3800, with a good battery of 40C and at least 5000mah, you can wheelie all day and run at speeds depending on gearing getting close to 50... Just for laughs, I ran the 3s with the 5700 4 pole... I still haven't found one of the wheels.. I didn't know a truck could launch like that.. LOL
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Competitor
    the higher the gear ratio numerically (10 bigger than 7 for example) the more torque but the less speed. the easier it is for your car to move (because you have more torque) the less heat will be produced as a side effect. the heat is what kills things. to be safe from stock gearing you should drop your pinion size one tooth which is 22t for a 2s. drop it 2 teeth for a 3s. which would be a 21t pinion.

thats right from traxxas i believe. to get more torque from whatever you have there are two options. smaller pinion or bigger spur gear
    Hmmm.. My mistakes..

The higher the ratio the more torque & more cooler the esc & motor.

So, more high speed produce more heat?

With stock esc & motor the ratio 23/86 = 3.73, and with the more power esc & motor (brushless power) we have to gain more torque to keep the esc & motor cool.

What I've been think is how to reduce torque to keep the electronic cool.

Castle gearing chart for 2wd slash is 14-19t with 90t with 2s-3s. For example: 19/90 = 4.73 that's mean plenty of torque. (I just can't imagine how the car will launch).

But yes, that the rule.
    And I think I have to learn by doing.
    I just order 54t spur 32p & 14t pinion (3.85 ratio) and start with this setting first, and see what happen.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    If you want more torque you have to make the ratio higher actually, the ratio is how many turns of the pinion it takes to make one of the spur.
    Yes, my mistakes..

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    Maybe I can help you out a bit here. I have two slashes, both 2wd.. one has the newest sct system with the 3800 4 pole the other has a mamba max pro and a 5700 4 pole.. I've run 3s on the 3800 several times and it was fine. The newer esc has a built in fan to control heat generated from the BEC... Yes I said BEC.. excess voltage is shed away in the form of heat.. the older units didn't have this and thats one of the biggest reasons for the rating.. A good fan on the esc SCT and you can safely run a 3S.. that being said, two other things can happen.. 1. If you develope a problem, your warranty can be voided... 2. You most likely will crash the Slash and probably break something. Its not worth running on 3s as the truck is too fast for the body and will only flip over.. It get old fast.. there are so many gearing option for the 3800, with a good battery of 40C and at least 5000mah, you can wheelie all day and run at speeds depending on gearing getting close to 50... Just for laughs, I ran the 3s with the 5700 4 pole... I still haven't found one of the wheels.. I didn't know a truck could launch like that.. LOL
    First I'm sorry for your wheels.. LOL

Because I'm a don't have any experience of electronis specially brushless system, I think I'll go with the rule, and go 2s instead of 3s.
    About the esc fan, I think have to find one. Maybe fan from another castle product will fit my esc.

What gearing you use with 3800kv motor?

If your still looking around at battery's..
    I have a venom 60c 5600mah 2s lipo
    I do like the power it gives off

The only thing I needed to buy was new connectors
    I wrecked my one that came from venom on the first day

So I bought a connector for charging and one for running

My total investment
    - venom battery - 90$
    - connectors - 18$

Total 108$

The connectors only have to be bought once.
    So really the connectors are worth it.

I really do like my venom battery
    It gives off something like 336a continuous
    And a 672a burst

It's the only lipo I use for my castle system
    I wouldn't go lower then 225a
    Just my choice

As for gearing on 2s
    23/86 is fine
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

i had a venom battery.............. it took 2 charges then leads started breaking inside the battery. first the balance board, then the main power leads................ i know this because my friend who had done this before carefully opened it and resoldered the balance board to only start charging and main lead to break........... well i was so mad at this point i took a metal object and stabbed it...............

by the way.............. i highly dont recomend doing any of this to anyone. it was extremely dangerous and you should never open a lipo!

but my experience along with others i know from chargers to batteries to full cars has steered me away from venom forever i would say. there just not that great of quality imo.
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    If your still looking around at battery's..
    I have a venom 60c 5600mah 2s lipo
    I do like the power it gives off

The only thing I needed to buy was new connectors
    I wrecked my one that came from venom on the first day

So I bought a connector for charging and one for running

My total investment
    - venom battery - 90$
    - connectors - 18$

Total 108$

The connectors only have to be bought once.
    So really the connectors are worth it.

I really do like my venom battery
    It gives off something like 336a continuous
    And a 672a burst

It's the only lipo I use for my castle system
    I wouldn't go lower then 225a
    Just my choice

As for gearing on 2s
    23/86 is fine
    i'm not sure about lipo.
    i just received my traxxas 7cell nimh yesterday. still waiting for my esc & motor. i think i use nimh battery first, before ordering lipo battery. planning to use 5000mAh 30c (i think 150A is enough to supply the esc & motor).

for gearing: 23/86 = 3.73 ratio.
    i just order my 14/54 32p gear on ebay. it's about 3.85 ratio.

i'll update soon, after i received the items.

i had a venom battery.............. it took 2 charges then leads started breaking inside the battery. first the balance board, then the main power leads................ i know this because my friend who had done this before carefully opened it and resoldered the balance board to only start charging and main lead to break........... well i was so mad at this point i took a metal object and stabbed it...............

by the way.............. i highly dont recomend doing any of this to anyone. it was extremely dangerous and you should never open a lipo!

but my experience along with others i know from chargers to batteries to full cars has steered me away from venom forever i would say. there just not that great of quality imo.
    i'm sorry for your lipo.

i'm kinda affraid of lipo. i have 3s one the come with my rtf heli. it's seem puff now. i'm always charge with my balance lipo charger, and always charge with storage option on my charger.

so, for my car, i think i have to be more carefull of choosing it.

RC Racer
    I run 25/30 3s threw one of my sct3800kv (beater)no prob at all (just don't load it up) not that fun doing anything but water crossing and speed runs though love my baby (sct3800kv 2s only since new) with my power band set up I can punch it half way threw a turn and when it hits straight and second hill of powerband it lifts wheels an inch WOW love the sct3800

RC Champion
    I have my Slash with the 3800 geared around 25/83 give or take... it runs cool all day with no fan on the motor and only the esc's built in fan. The other 5700 4pole is running 18/86 and sometimes 20/86.. Both are the close off the line and top end with a slight edge to the 3800.. I don't recommend running 3S with the 3800, but the question was can you.. Yes you can, but for how long.. Who knows.. I've only run at most a pack thru it at a time.

RC Competitor
    yes, i think i have to find my own gear setting. use only 2s for safety, maybe 3s later.

RC Champion
    25/86 is a good place to start.. Plenty of power off the line and great top end. I need to remind you I run 17mm buggy slicks on mine not the SC tires.. I didn't care for them.

RC Competitor
    Yes, I'll start with gear that I already have first. Trying to measure the temp. Until I find a good gear setting.

RC Competitor
    finnaly i got my esc & motor.

it's a little different. my esc comes with fan. i think it's a new version.

the esc to motor wire now has bullet connector, not a wire. it's a little bit confusing me, because it not come with polarity (+-)

after i read & re-read the manual book, castle not mention about where to put the fan connector to receiver.

and also, the on/off switch do not have ON mark on the side that castle said that ("ON" is marked in small letter on one side)

please help me..
    Last edited by rajadody; 06-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.

The fan goes in any channel you'd like
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    The fan goes in any channel you'd like
    Thank you kdvanb.

Still don't know About the on/off switch.

Maybe anybody who use sidewinder esc can give me info about the switch.