Thread: Lipo problem

RC poster

Lipo problem

Hi I need help I just got a lipo battery brand new yesterday it's a lipos two. And I put it in lipo mode well cause its a lipo battery so it goes 2 feet then stops and esc starts blinking red and tips or suggestions ?

What car are you using? Brushed? Brushless?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Brushless vxl rustler

RC poster
    I can't figure this out can anyone help

RC poster
    Anyonehelp

Be patient, some one can help. I would, but I don't know what your problem is.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Alright man

RC Racer
    Did you charge it before you put it in?

-spike :P

RC Qualifier
    Did you charge the lipo before you used it? If not, the lipo may be at storage charge and you triggering the lvc. I would think you would still get some sort of run time more than what you said you got, but it is a possibility

What makes me think that, is when my traxxas esc's hit lvc, they blink red.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Make sure you are using a LiPo charger too!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Hey guys i have a onxy200 and i put it on 5 amps but it has the 7 lights so its the old one i charged it the other day and it just charged for about a hour and a half and then it had been blinking red and green

RC poster
    Thanks yall but let me know if yAll could help

RC Racer
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But that charger is NOT a lipo charger. Stop using it immediately if it is not because bad things happen when you use a nimh charger with lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike the derpy bandit View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But that charger is NOT a lipo charger. Stop using it immediately if it is not because bad things happen when you use a nimh charger with lipos.

Agreed. Unfortunately, you may have already done damage to your battery. If one cell is too low, you won't be getting the 8.4 volts a 2s will deliver when properly charged. What may have happened, and this is just a semi-educated guess, is one cell is low or even dead at this point leaving you 4.2 volts maybe a little more and lvc is triggered at 3.5v I think. So basically as soon as you give it throttle the voltage of the one good cell drops below 3.5v triggering lvc. Just a thought.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately, you may have already done damage to your battery. If one cell is too low, you won't be getting the 8.4 volts a 2s will deliver when properly charged. What may have happened, and this is just a semi-educated guess, is one cell is low or even dead at this point leaving you 4.2 volts maybe a little more and lvc is triggered at 3.5v I think. So basically as soon as you give it throttle the voltage of the one good cell drops below 3.5v triggering lvc. Just a thought.
    Lets hope for the best though and hope that the charger didn't charge the battery. So go out and buy your self a lipo charger with balancing capabilities. Balance the battery the second you get it and put the battery in a lipo sac.

RC Qualifier
    Yessir. Always hope for the best. You can find a lipo charger on ebay for under 100$. And lipo sacks are a must!
    @spike. Solid advice sir!
    addicted much....

RC poster
    Ok i actually found out that the cords wernt properly connected so now ots fine only promblem now is the esc in in lipo mode

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevytraxxas View Post
    Ok i actually found out that the cords wernt properly connected so now ots fine only promblem now is the esc in in lipo mode
    That's good.
    You still need to get a lipo charger though because a nimh charger won't cut it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I personally would not use that LiPo... the way NiMh and LiPo are charged are VERY different; there is a LOT more going on than just dumping juice into a pack!!

Getting the ESC out of LiPo mode with a NiMh probably can be better answered in the proper section, the brushless Rustler section.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

D'reng
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevytraxxas View Post
    Hey guys i have a onxy200 and i put it on 5 amps but it has the 7 lights so its the old one i charged it the other day and it just charged for about a hour and a half and then it had been blinking red and green
    Trevytraxxas: I can't emphasize enough what the other guys on the board have already said. DO NOT use an Onyx 200 charger to charge a LiPO battery. That is a NiMH charger. Very bad things can happen if you try to charge a LiPO battery with a NiMH charger. You MUST get a LiPo charger to charge a LiPO battery.

RC Racer
    The problem with using a NiMH charger on a lipo, is the really high likelihood of a fiery explosion with a lot of smoke and even worse a severely wife