RC Racer

stock wheel balancing?

For the first few runs I didn't check that. Then I did wheel balancing and a lot has improved in handling! Things didn't last long thou, because somebody ( me ) had to go nuts in the sand and do some jumps ... After tear down and assembly I noticed that the wheels are totally off balance!

No big deal after jumping - just balance them again - wrong! Thay are impossible to correct!

What would you recommand to do to solve it APART from placing order for some better aftermarket ones?

It doesn't look like the rims are bent, just tires. They have small holes for water to escape, but possibly I've done them too late. Could it be sand? The only option to check it is to remove the tires from rims - do you have any home-made ideas how to do that, so I could glue them back together again?

RC Racer
    I have removed glued tires from the wheels by putting them in boiling or just about to boil water. Float them on one side to soften up the glue. Pull them out and work one side off. Float the other side and repeat the process. Then you can take off the tires and foams from the wheel and clean the inside. While you have them off and if you have not done it yet now would be a good time to tape the tires to prevent ballooning. That is if you have that problem.

RC Racer
    This is some finger killing technique! It took me about two hours to finish all 4 wheels, but it worked! Some spots took more then the others, but I decided to do it slowly rather then tear the rubber apart.

Anyway - I would never expect so much sand inside! No wonder they were impossible to balance.

Thanks for advice about taping - will do that. I am also considering closing all holes - original ones in the rims and the ones I've made in the tires. This should prevent above hastle in the future. What do you think? Do you see any bad consequences?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    No holes = bouncy tire... and if sealed 100% deflated tire in cooler weather.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Then how do you keep dirt out?
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Qualifier
    One does not simply keep dirt out of the tires
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Racer
    Sounds like mission impossible! Closing is bad and open is also not the best ... maybe covering with some fine fiber would help? So the air could move freely and particles would be blocked? I might try that. Especialy since I have everything still disassambled.

But what about water?

It's more complicated then I imagined ...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I would just stay out of water... in my opinion running in water creates much more maintenance (work) than fun.

I have yet to have any issues with dirt building up in my tires... and I mainly run on sandy gravel.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    running in water creates much more maintenance (work) than fun.
    Exactly.

Here's one from a while back - I started optimistically but in the end was convinced it was a waste of time in the dirt

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ight=balancing
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Racer
    Thanks for bringing this old thread back! There are many interesting opinions to read.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smokey View Post
    One does not simply keep dirt out of the tires
    Yes, one does, if one knows how and is willing to apply some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by zach23 View Post
    Sounds like mission impossible! Closing is bad and open is also not the best ... maybe covering with some fine fiber would help? So the air could move freely and particles would be blocked? I might try that. Especialy since I have everything still disassambled.

But what about water?

It's more complicated then I imagined ...
    Well, I don't run in water, though I do wash my race tires frequently

So I glue fabric over holes in the rims and do not put holes in my tires. The fabric I use is cotton .22 rifle cleaning patches. I just glue the edges of the patch leaving the center porous to breathe but it still keeps out dirt. Fine dust can get in, but in practice doesn't, but no dirt gets in - I have removed worn-out tires from rims with these filters on and there was no dirt inside. Here's a pic of two wheels (a 1/10th scale buggy wheel and a SCT wheel) with my filters on:

RC Racer
    this looks like a good idea - thanks!

RC Champion
    i have those readily available.

heres a closeup of them.

i might try that
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Racer
    Mine came from Brownells too. Square might be easier to work with (I cut the sides off anyway) but all I had was round.

Two notes:

1) I use thick glue when gluing on the patches so it doesn't flow into the center and seal the whole patch. I don't buy thick glue - I just use stuff that is a little old and has gotten thicker with age.

2) After the glue is dry, I go over the patch with a file to break the "sharp" edges created by the hardened glue and patch so they don't cut into the liner.
    Last edited by ta_man; 06-10-2013 at 10:01 PM.