RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Benchmark power supply pics and info

I just got 3 benchmark power supplies in the mail today. These are the ones you can buy from SPCracing.com. They are server PSU's converted or RC use. Let me just say... wow. This is a quality product.

I ordered 3. One for myself, one for a friend and one I dont really have a home for yet but shipping was good so I thought id just grab it anyway. You never know.

The two I ordered are both 12volt. One is 44.5 amps and the other is 47amps. I ordered both because the 44.5 amp unit is longer, but thinner than the 47amp unit. I have plans to build a sweet portable charging rig at some point so I wanted to make sure I had some options for power supply size.

Both chargers are converted the same. They are wrapped in shiny black shrink and look excellent. The lable has all the info youll need to know what the PSU is capable of.

The plug end is pretty non exciting. The 47amp does still have the handle attached. Which may be convenient for mounting or carrying... or it may not. Its not obtrusive IMO.

The business end of these units is the best part. The first and most obvious feature is the threaded binding posts. They accept 4mm bullet connectors which can be plugged in through the top of threaded cap, under teh bottom of the threaded cap... or, if you want to power 2 chargers, you can use both. Most converted PSU's simply have short wire leads with connectors on the end for plugging in your charger. Sometimes the 4mm bullets are soldered right to the power output tabs on the PSU. In this case, the binding posts are safer, look better and are more useful since they offer 2 plugs per post.

The next feature is a little hard to see. The little green wire loop on the back of the power output bar is actually a feature. Its the fan resistor wire. If you plug it in, the fan runs at low speed when nothing is connected and only moderate speed when the charger is running. These fan speeds are more than adequate to cool the PSU for RC use and the lower fan speed is much quieter. BUT... if your really concerned about cooling you can simply unplug the jumper and the fan will run at full speed, all the time. VERY cool feature ive never seen on any other converted PSU.

Finally, id like to point out that all the unused power connectors on the back of the PSU have been covered up with silicone or some other insulated medium. This is a great idea and a highly valuable safety feature. These connectors (originally used by whatever the PSU was powering) are not needed for RC use but are still live and can be shorted out if something gets dropped on them. Filling in this area will prevent this all together and gives the impression the builder actually knew what he was doing and had thought about the end user, not just getting the job done fast.

Overall, you cant beat this kind of power for the price. So there a great buy even without the nice build quality and attention to detail. But, add those extras in, and the value is just crazy. There are other models available also, some with even more power... but these ones were more than enough for the plans I have. With that said, I think Ill be switching from my current converted PSU to a benchmark unit strictly because of the additional attention to detail. Thats important to me.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    im lost why would you need that? cant you just plug your charger into the wall?
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, EVERYONE PAYS THE PRICE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ET3 SMITH View Post
    im lost why would you need that? cant you just plug your charger into the wall?
    No, not all chargers can be plugged directly into a wall socket. Once you get into the more powerful chargers, they need a power supply. I think it has something to do with the type of current the charger requires.

This is the power plug on my charger.

Last edited by the finisher; 05-19-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    i see, the one i have, has both wall plug in and bullet connectors, might get one, i have other stuff i can use it for

A lot of chargers that can be plugged directly into the wall are limited in what they can output unless you use an external power supply as well.

My BP power supply is doing great, my little 610c does not even come close to what it is capable of but my son takes it to the track and power two or three chargers off of it without problems.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    they are worth just having around for that price

RC Qualifier
    Great review.
    I got one on order it's to be here on Thursday, I'm so exited for it

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Competitor
    how did you find the one with the handle? thats the one i want

I assume the 47amp you order would be the same as the one I got so if you want the handle, order the 47amp. I had another 47amp server PSU I converted myself a few years ago and it didnt have the handle but I think it started as a different brand PSU.

As with many things in this hobby, its not about what you NEED... its about whats possible. And this is possible, so I need it. Hehe. Also, my current charger CAN charge up to 40 amps... so the 47amp PSU is actually right on the line of being powerful enough. Though im sure it would work just fine.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I assume the 47amp you order would be the same as the one I got so if you want the handle, order the 47amp. I had another 47amp server PSU I converted myself a few years ago and it didnt have the handle but I think it started as a different brand PSU.

As with many things in this hobby, its not about what you NEED... its about whats possible. And this is possible, so I need it. Hehe. Also, my current charger CAN charge up to 40 amps... so the 47amp PSU is actually right on the line of being powerful enough. Though im sure it would work just fine.
    What charger do you have that does 40a? Sounds like a good one.
    addicted much....

Both pav and I have the FMA Direct (Revolectrix) Cellpro PowerLab 6. Also known as (aka) the PL6.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Both pav and I have the FMA Direct (Revolectrix) Cellpro PowerLab 6. Also known as (aka) the PL6.
    Oh and ME 2!!!!

I really like this PSU. I checked it out a little while back when I saw that SPC offered them. I wish he had these when I first purchased my PL6. I wouldnt have even thought about picking one up elsewhere. I definitely know when to snatch one up if my 600w from ProgressiveRC goes caput. LOL

Thanks for sharing this with us Pave.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    No, not all chargers can be plugged directly into a wall socket. Once you get into the more powerful chargers, they need a power supply. I think it has something to do with the type of current the charger requires.

This is the power plug on my charger.

Nice to see one of my units being used!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Yessir!! I definately have some charging power!
    Last edited by the finisher; 05-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    addicted much....

Now I just gotta figure out the rest of my setup. I love those portable charge setups progressiveRC builds in that are all in one units. Id like to build one myself using some of their parts. One day, when I do get it done, ill post up some pics.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Wow! Thanks for the review! After seeing all the features of that 47 amp unit, it's a way better deal than the same spec PSU from Maxamps (go figure, right?). I really like all the possible hook-up options. And the fact that it's not overly complex and you have several different hook-up options out of one post is very convenient. Someone definitely had r/c in mind when they built these things!

^^.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Benchmark power supply pics and info

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Oh and ME 2!!!!
    And of course you too! Never meant to snub you.
    Of course, Jakey has the PL8. All fall down and offer obeisance, lol.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    And of course you too! Never meant to snub you.
    Of course, Jakey has the PL8. All fall down and offer obeisance, lol.
    OK ... OK, I guess after the "expensive education" quip, I deserved that.

My 47A came in the mail friday and I got to try it out today. What a nice piece of equipment. I powered up both my Onyx230 and my Hyperion 720 Inet 3 on it. Haven't tried charging on both at the same time yet but I'm sure it'll probably handle it. Hopefully I can run both chargers and crank those packs out quicker.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 05-26-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Yes it handle your 2 chargers fine. I have done 25 amps on my 57 amp psu just fine with no voltage drop but like .3 only.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    My 47A came in the mail friday and I got to try it out today. What a nice piece of equipment. I powered up both my Onyx230 and my Hyperion 720 Inet 3 on it. Haven't tried charging on both at the same time yet but I'm sure it'll probably handle it. Hopefully I can run both chargers and crank those packs out quicker.
    As long as the maximum amp draw from the two chargers does not exceed 47A, the power supply will be just fine. Make sure the bullets connectors are seated well.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    As long as the maximum amp draw from the two chargers does not exceed 47A, the power supply will be just fine. Make sure the bullets connectors are seated well.
    Now is that charge amperage added between both chargers? Say if I'm charging a pack at 12A on the Hyp and 7A on the Onyx230 19A total draw correct? If so I should be ok.

The outer shield for the bullets on my Hyperion are small enough to allow it to seat all the way even with the Onyx in the binders so it worked out really good.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 05-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Now is that charge amperage added between both chargers? Say if I'm charging a pack at 12A on the Hyp and 7A on the Onyx230 19A total draw correct? If so I should be ok.

The outer shield for the bullets on my Hyperion are small enough to allow it to seat all the way even with the Onyx in the binders so it worked out really good.
    You have it right, I dont have the chargers to draw enough from mine (I have same supply) but I let my son take it when he and his buddies go tot he track and they have powered 3 chargers off of it pulling about 35 amps and it did not even get warm and that was with the fan still on the slow speed.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You have it right, I dont have the chargers to draw enough from mine (I have same supply) but I let my son take it when he and his buddies go tot he track and they have powered 3 chargers off of it pulling about 35 amps and it did not even get warm and that was with the fan still on the slow speed.
    Cool deal. Yeah my Hyperion maxes at 20A charge rate and the Onyx is only 7A so I should be just fine. I mean really you can't beat the price of these vs the power output. Trakpower wants $80 to $100 for theirs and it only puts out 25A when this one is $45 and puts out 47A. That's great and under $1 per amp.