RC Racer

beach drving problem

Hi guys! After about 5 minutes of driving on the beach today my brushed merv started making an awful sound that sounded like the gears were out of mesh or ssand got in the gears. Than it hit me
    . I thought that another possibility was that sand got into the motor because i have the brushed motor. The brushed motor has holes in the back so it could have happened. What do i do now?

RC Enthusiast
    Unfortunately sand gets everywhere! Get yourself some electric motor cleaner and hose the motor out.guarantee theres at least some sand in there.couldent tell you for sure that's your noise your hearing though.if it was my car it would get a full tear down and clean after a sand trip. Chassis, Diffs,wheel bearings, transmission. All cleaned and re greased if needed. Mabey I'm just ocd about my RC's.. lol!

RC Racer
    Where do i get electric motor cleaner

RC Enthusiast
    Any decent hobby shop will have it. Or you could go online if you prefer. Might as well get you some Rc motor oil while your at it to relube the bearings. They will most likely be bone dry after using that stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by D16TMerv View Post
    if it was my car it would get a full tear down and clean after a sand trip. Chassis, Diffs,wheel bearings, transmission. All cleaned and re greased if needed. Mabey I'm just ocd about my RC's.. lol!
    +1

this is what i usually do after a beach run, takes about 1 hour, but i have peace of mind, especially since i have a lot invested in my merv.

- remove the wheels and clean up the tires, let em air dry and pack em away
    - get a big brush and clean off as much as possible
    - remove all electronics, motor, esc, servo and receiver
    - clean with a old paintbrush
    - remove bulkheads and gearbox, clean components
    - remove bearings that are exposed, clean em out, repack with grease (i redo the inner bearings once every 10 or so runs with acer sin oil)
    - dunk the carbide screws in evaporust, let air dry
    - clean the chassis, usually with the paint brush and some cleaning solution.
    Rebuild takes about 20 or so minutes.

A lot of people wont bother cleaning their bearings, but to me, i would rather spend 10 minutes cleaning my quality bearings than spending $20 every month for a new set.

Sand gets EVERYWHERE, it cant be helped, the best preventive measure would be to get a shroud cover, that will prevent most particles entering. Even then you will need to do alot more maintenance than you usually would. Especially if you are playing on the beach, as the salt in the sand will slowly eat away at metal components, no one likes rusty screws right?

Hope this helps.

RC Racer
    I also have a problem with sand. Currently I am sandroofing my ride - at least the parts that are most vulnerable to sand. List was created after few runs and obligatory tear down / cleaning. It is still under costruction, but some work is already done - will post some pictures soon!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zach23 View Post
    I also have a problem with sand. Currently I am sandroofing my ride - at least the parts that are most vulnerable to sand. List was created after few runs and obligatory tear down / cleaning. It is still under costruction, but some work is already done - will post some pictures soon!
    Ok, I would love to see that!