RC Champion

My Hawk2 and lipo carnage

Hello Everyone,

I'll start by saying its me,MOPAR MARV but forced to open a new account because the site suddenly refused to recognize my old user name,so I loose my post count,all my saved PMs,etc.... but I'll see if that can be fixed later.

I'm just happy to be able to post for the first time since last Saturday. I was almost ready to go ballistic.

Anyways,after weeks of waiting I finally got to take my Hawk2 out and see what it would do on lipo power[7.4 volt 3300mah 2s]. And I've got to say that I am most impressed with the way it performed.

It has so much more power its almost impossible to control under hard throttle,like trying to turn when the front wheels are barely touching the ground. It literally just plows straight ahead with the wheels pointed sideways. It was a real learning experience.

And run times are awesome,two packs netted nearly two hours of some of the most fun I've had with the truck since I bought it back in 2006. It was incredible!!! Flying it six or seven feet off of jumps and just plain mad dog driving that would have reduced most newer RCs into smoldering piles of crushed parts.

But it did not come through all this without a bit of carnage. In the first ten minutes it split the right rear outer rod end but I patched it up with superglue and away we went. Then the nylock nut on the slipper kept coming loose,a couple more drops of superglue cured that issue for now.

Then it took a weird bounce and punched both rear body mounts through the body. But its just two old Parma bodies that I sectioned together to use for bashing. I'll just patch it up again,no worries.

But the real damage came just as I was finishing the last run before supper time. I was hitting a small pile of dirt at full throttle and airing it out a bit too hard. When all of a sudden it sounded like the nut on the slipper had backed off again. So I checked the slipper and nope it was fine. Then I thought "oh oh maybe I crushed another set of diffy gears!" but no,the diffy spins perfectly. I know its not the idler gear,because it is an alloy unit from a Stampede. I've never heard of anyone killing the top gear so I'm thinking that I probably stripped all of the teeth off of the outside of the differential gear.

If that is the problem,I'm gold because I have an NIP Diff. gear, sitting in my Hawk2 project box.

But now I am totally convinced that it is time to order up every thing I need to bring my Transmission and Slipper Clutch up to VXL specs.

Anyway,all carnage aside,I still think that Traxxas made a major mistake when they discontinued the Hawk2. Its light,super easy to work on and man can these old trucks take some serious punishment!!

And almost seven years later,I gotta say that it is still my all time favorite two wheel drive RC truck!!

If ya can't drive it like you just stole it,it belongs on a shelf! Vintage Traxxas RC trucks Rock!!!

Oh yeah,I'm just a little pumped

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Marv View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'll start by saying its me,MOPAR MARV but forced to open a new account because the site suddenly refused to recognize my old user name,so I loose my post count,all my saved PMs,etc.... but I'll see if that can be fixed later.

I'm just happy to be able to post for the first time since last Saturday. I was almost ready to go ballistic.

Anyways,after weeks of waiting I finally got to take my Hawk2 out and see what it would do on lipo power[7.4 volt 3300mah 2s]. And I've got to say that I am most impressed with the way it performed.

It has so much more power its almost impossible to control under hard throttle,like trying to turn when the front wheels are barely touching the ground. It literally just plows straight ahead with the wheels pointed sideways. It was a real learning experience.

And run times are awesome,two packs netted nearly two hours of some of the most fun I've had with the truck since I bought it back in 2006. It was incredible!!! Flying it six or seven feet off of jumps and just plain mad dog driving that would have reduced most newer RCs into smoldering piles of crushed parts.

But it did not come through all this without a bit of carnage. In the first ten minutes it split the right rear outer rod end but I patched it up with superglue and away we went. Then the nylock nut on the slipper kept coming loose,a couple more drops of superglue cured that issue for now.

Then it took a weird bounce and punched both rear body mounts through the body. But its just two old Parma bodies that I sectioned together to use for bashing. I'll just patch it up again,no worries.

But the real damage came just as I was finishing the last run before supper time. I was hitting a small pile of dirt at full throttle and airing it out a bit too hard. When all of a sudden it sounded like the nut on the slipper had backed off again. So I checked the slipper and nope it was fine. Then I thought "oh oh maybe I crushed another set of diffy gears!" but no,the diffy spins perfectly. I know its not the idler gear,because it is an alloy unit from a Stampede. I've never heard of anyone killing the top gear so I'm thinking that I probably stripped all of the teeth off of the outside of the differential gear.

If that is the problem,I'm gold because I have an NIP Diff. gear, sitting in my Hawk2 project box.

But now I am totally convinced that it is time to order up every thing I need to bring my Transmission and Slipper Clutch up to VXL specs.

Anyway,all carnage aside,I still think that Traxxas made a major mistake when they discontinued the Hawk2. Its light,super easy to work on and man can these old trucks take some serious punishment!!

And almost seven years later,I gotta say that it is still my all time favorite two wheel drive RC truck!!

If ya can't drive it like you just stole it,it belongs on a shelf! Vintage Traxxas RC trucks Rock!!!

Oh yeah,I'm just a little pumped
    Nah. They made a mistake discontinuing the SRT .

Welcome back man. I'm not too into the hawk2 but for some reason i love the Rad2. It's amazing you can use parts from the current rc line up in these old vintage.
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

RC Champion
    Thanks man,I'm glad to be back.

I'm more or less in the same boat,I've never seen an SRT in person. But I've been watching for a good deal on one.

But if ya know the Rad2,it doesn't take much to convert one into a Hawk2[not that I'd do it myself,I'm also a major Rad2 fan,lol]

On the new to vintage parts interchange,it has saved my Hawk2 from shelf queen status, a few times. I'm running Stampede body mounts,diffy internal gears and an alloy Idler gear. Rustler front shocks and Stampede rears.

And for those who haven't read any of my old threads on my Hawk2. I'm running a second generation Hawk2[black]with a 2018 steering servo and an XL-5 ESC [with LVD],a 12t Titan 550. Geared 12/90[Duratrax Spur with metal bearings,not slipper pegs].

After nearly an hour on the lipo pack, my ESC is as cool as before I ran it! And the motor is slightly warm,like a bottle of ready to serve baby formula is warmer,literally!! And no noticeable difference in battery pack temps from before the run either.

And the real kicker, the Titan 550 is almost four years old!! Still as tight and as powerful as day one.

In the seven years that I have owned the truck, It has never been driven any way but as hard as I can drive it,jumps,end over end crashes for fifteen to twenty feet or more,it has been literally driven over with my E-Maxx on a dozen occasions and that hardly begins to describe the abuse this truck goes through constantly.

The only major component that I've replaced is the Chassis and I broke it twice before I finally replaced it. We should all buy stock in Superglue,lol.

All in all this truck has earned some serious respect from me and quite a few of my friends for being one tough and very reliable source of entertainment.

Never seen a SRT in person! I guess you didn't see my for sale thread in the marketplace haha. If you love the Hawk2, You'll be blow away by the SRT(actually surpasses the Rustler haha). It's an amazing truck to not only work or drive, but look at it without the body haha.
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Never seen a SRT in person! I guess you didn't see my for sale thread in the marketplace haha. If you love the Hawk2, You'll be blow away by the SRT(actually surpasses the Rustler haha). It's an amazing truck to not only work or drive, but look at it without the body haha.

Oh,I've seen a quite a few photos of the SRTs but as I said, I have never seen one that I could actually touch or check out in person.

And yes,I was curious so I clicked on your moved thread and was drooling over both your TCP and the SRT . I would love to add both to my vintage collection but I'm flat broke at the moment. And not one phone call from the guy that I usually work for during the spring and summer months. Very depressing.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Racer
    Glad to hear a Hawk2 is still getting bashed out there!
    I cant wait to have mine running

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmktw2 View Post
    Glad to hear a Hawk2 is still getting bashed out there!
    I cant wait to have mine running
    Thanks man, I'm sure mine isn't the only one still bashing and crashing but then again, who knows for sure?

Call the old beast tough or just plain lucky, I say a lot of both but it has only broken down on me four times in seven years.

The first time I shredded the sun gears [blowing donuts on ice and it slid off of the ice and caught one tire on solid ground at full throttle].

The second time I clipped a tire on the wife's Minivan[full throttle as usual,lol] and broke the chassis[it pulled the left rear control off of the chassis but never hurt the control arm or the mount]. I repaired the damage with good old superglue. And continued using the chassis for two more years of hard bashing after that. Then I found a clean used chassis and retired the original chassis to the parts box as a back-up spare.

When I broke it for the third time, I quite literally ripped all of the front suspension right off of the chassis[I was chasing my daughter and a friend when a metal planter jumped out in front of it,at full throttle, as usual] and after the crash,it still managed to limp back to where I was standing.

Which version of the Hawk2 do you have,the white one or the Black?

What all do you need to get your Hawk up and running?

RC Racer

Thumbs up

You drive your Mopar like you do your Hawk2??
    Dang, thats crazy your broke the chassis like that. I have heard of these things happening so I have been reluctant to put my brushless viper system in it and let my girlfriends drive lol

I was thinking about putting the mechanical speed controller and stock 540 motor in it just to let beginners cruise around a stock 1992 RC car....sooooooo slooooowly

I have ordered original chrome rims for it and gold aluminum shock towers.
    The hawk2 body also has to be cut and painted.

I really like this car, but I'm worried about the chassis strength as you have mentioned.
    I would love to swap it out for an LS2 chassis... Does anyone have one for sale? lol

Either way, I bet your the only one on earth right now with a running hawk2

I decided to install the mechanical speed control system and try it out.
    Only problem now is none of my batteries fit argh

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Marv View Post
    And yes,I was curious so I clicked on your moved thread and was drooling over both your TCP and the SRT .
    You can resume drooling once I post pix Yes, I did .
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-26-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    You drive your Mopar like you do your Hawk2??
    Dang, thats crazy your broke the chassis like that. I have heard of these things happening so I have been reluctant to put my brushless viper system in it and let my girlfriends drive lol

I was thinking about putting the mechanical speed controller and stock 540 motor in it just to let beginners cruise around a stock 1992 RC car....sooooooo slooooowly

I have ordered original chrome rims for it and gold aluminum shock towers.
    The hawk2 body also has to be cut and painted.

I really like this car, but I'm worried about the chassis strength as you have mentioned.
    I would love to swap it out for an LS2 chassis... Does anyone have one for sale? lol

Either way, I bet your the only one on earth right now with a running[Black] hawk2 [corrected]

I decided to install the mechanical speed control system and try it out.
    Only problem now is none of my batteries fit argh

You can resume drooling once I post pix Yes, I did .
    Nice Hawk!! And you say that you have an un-cut,un-painted body,is it an original unit or a reproduction?

That looks just like the Hawk2 that I murdered for parts to create my Bullet2. Hey, we had three at the time, two black and one white and all of the plastics on the Bullet are white so the choice was obvious.

As for the gold alloy shock towers,the Hawk2s came with black fibreglas towers . Alloy units bend like crazy,fibreglas flexes and I have never broken one but I've bent a lot of the alloy units.

Try putting some 1/2 inch spacers under the MSC mount,thats what I had to do to run my old speedo and newer battery packs. And believe it or not,if you want to have some real old school fun, the old MSCs can handle seven and eight cell packs and I was running a twelve turn double,so it was a real handful.

And no,I don't drive my mopars like I do my Hawk and E-Maxx,if I did I'd spend more time in jail than I did out. I might be a bit crazy but I'm not insane type crazy,lol.

Yeah,it kinda freaked me out too when I saw how severely damaged the chassis was but even geared for torque the old Hawk really moves and the planter I hit was solid steel and full of wet dirt so it was like hitting a small mountain at cruising speed in one of today's little econo box death traps.

Sorry no LS2 chassis here. But I do have a heavily modded Blue Eagle that I might consider parting with for one of those offers you just can't refuse, type of deals. I've been working on it off and on for three years and have never driven it. But in all honesty I'd rather keep it.

But now back to my Hawk2 carnage.

So I tore down the trans. Sunday night and what did I find?

Would you believe that when the slipper nut kept coming loose,the top shaft slid part way out of the gear,allowing the roll pin to spin in the gear and shave away a nice part of the notched area on the back side of the gear.
    It also poked in and ripped the shield off of the bearing behind the gear.
    And that is what was causing the awful grinding noise it was making and stopping the truck from moving when the wheels were on the ground. Other than that everything looked awesome.

But imagine my surprise when I realized that I had somehow installed the wrong top gear when I re-assembled the transmission after I installed the Stampede sun gears in the diffy and the alloy idler gear five years ago. Yep,I screwed up big time and installed the old plastic top gear instead of the new steel gear that I bought for it. Duh!!!

So I cleaned everything,lubed it all up and re-assembled it with the steel top gear[no mistakes,this time,lol] and now the old Hawk2 is back up and running again. I took it out yesterday afternoon and ran it for almost an hour and it ran fantastic.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MOPAR MARV View Post
    Nice Hawk!! And you say that you have an un-cut,un-painted body,is it an original unit or a reproduction?
    Ya its a reproduction but its still a $40 dang body!!!!!!!
    and it looks good too =)

I installed the Stampede sun gears in the diffy and the alloy idler gear five years ago. Yep,I screwed up big time and installed the old plastic top gear instead of the new steel gear that I bought for it. Duh!!!
    I thought u had to run the Delrin top gear with the steel idler and then the plastic diff

RC Champion
    Ya its a reproduction but its still a $40 dang body!!!!!!!
    and it looks good too =)

I thought u had to run the Delrin top gear with the steel idler and then the plastic diff

Well I've owned four or five Hawks and three Hawk2s and the only original body that I've received with any of them was totally trashed so I was somewhat concerned that you would consider running yours IF it was an original.

I know the Repros are kinda pricey,thats why I'm running a basher body built from two Parma bodies that I trashed on an old nitro rig and then sectioned together for my Hawk2. I'll just carry on patching it up until there is nothing left of it,lol.

Yes,I've heard the same thing about running with the aluminum Idler Gear but I've also been told buy several people that they have had great success running a steel top gear and the alloy Idler in their racers. And since I am running Sledgehammer sized tires on my Hawk2 and a 12 t Titan 550 motor and I'm really rough on it[mild understatement,lol] I'm trying to see if the combination works for me as well.

So far, it is slightly noisier than it was with the plastic top gear but it is smooth as silk when you spin it manually and I'm betting that as long as I keep it properly lubricated it will do just fine.

RC Champion
    Well gang, I am Officially Depressed.

A few days ago I took my Hawk2 out to show a friend's stepson what it could do. After over a half hour of my usual torture, it was working awesome so I decided to air it out a bit and hit a couple of jumps.

It was all going great and then I noticed a loud clicking noise when I hit the throttle. So I shut it off, hauled it inside and started trying to figure out what I broke this time.

When I bought the truck in 2006 it came with a pair of very sloppy white output yokes on the transmission and I've been running the truck like that since then, only now they have gotten sooo loose that the output yokes are starting to bind up on the inboard end of the half shafts and that is what is causing the clicking noise now.

The depressing part ?
    I'm so broke that I can not afford to fix the old beast now. And I don't want to disable my Blue Eagle or my Bullet2 by stealing parts from them to repair the Hawk2. So my old faithful Hawk2 is going on the shelf until my cash flow situation improves.

I know that Stampede/Rusty/Bandit output yokes will fit on the Hawk2 transmission but the pins on the little u-joints are too small so they rattle around in the holes of the Stampede output yokes almost as badly as they do in my sloppy old white yokes.

I have no desire to spend the next few months trying to find new old stock Hawk2 output yokes, half shafts and stub axles, so I'm looking for an alternative fix for this problem. Like metal yokes or CVDs,etc.....

But not one that ends up with my Hawk2 becoming more Stampede/Rusty than it is Hawk2. If I wanted a Stampede or a Rusty, I would buy or build one! I'd prefer to keep the Hawk reasonably close to it's original configuration.

So if you guys have any suggestions for a cure for my Hawk's current problems, please let me know.

RC Champion
    You would have to figure out the length but a dog bone setup would work well. It can be done with either HPI or Duratrax parts. I have ran the HPI setup on 3 and 4s lipo and the Duratrax one on 2s. The HPI cups wore in kind of fast on 3s but there is a upgraded version that should do the trick. For your needs both would work.

Also the parts cost under 30 dollars.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    You would have to figure out the length but a dog bone setup would work well. It can be done with either HPI or Duratrax parts. I have ran the HPI setup on 3 and 4s lipo and the Duratrax one on 2s. The HPI cups wore in kind of fast on 3s but there is a upgraded version that should do the trick. For your needs both would work.

Also the parts cost under 30 dollars.
    Good day Reaper,

Yeah, I'm not looking to set any speed records or anything like that, I just want to keep the old truck running, reliable and fun.
    As it is now, it is almost uncontrollable on loose gravel and will do cyclones all day long if you pin the throttle hard on any slippery surface, without even touching the steering wheel. So I'm more than happy with it's performance.

I have had good luck with all of the Duratrax stuff that I've used, so I will check that out. Thank you for the info.

RC Champion
    Just letting you know what I have put each through. You could probably also get away with the stock Slash drive shafts as well.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer

I have no desire to spend the next few months trying to find new old stock Hawk2 output yokes, half shafts and stub axles, so I'm looking for an alternative fix for this problem. Like metal yokes or CVDs,etc..... , please let me know.
    Why search far and wide?
    SRT Hawk2 MT4 TCP

RC Champion
    Why search far and wide?

Now that is exactly what I was wondering about! Metal output yokes! Are they hard to get and how costly are they?

If they aren't too pricey I'd put them on most of my vintage Traxxas RCs.

Are they hard to get and how costly are they?
    They shouldn't be hard to get and they don't cost all that much.

Part number 4628x is what you'll want.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    They shouldn't be hard to get and they don't cost all that much.

Part number 4628x is what you'll want.
    Awesome,Thank You for the part number! I'll start looking for a couple sets of them as soon as I'm done here.

RC Competitor
    Sounds like you got some excellent use out of your fleet of hawks, well done!

Have you remedied your output yoke problem?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaq View Post
    Sounds like you got some excellent use out of your fleet of hawks, well done!

Have you remedied your output yoke problem?

Man, I wish! But no time or money for RCs lately. Any cash I've made has gone into new wood,etc.... for our new deck or parts for the wife's "new" old rust bucket car. So the RC projects have all been collecting dust since my last post.

But with winter rapidly approaching that will be changing very soon. Not that I'm looking forward to freezing my buns off again but I am looking forward to spending those nice quiet winter nights working on my RC projects again.