RC Qualifier

1/16th Summit Brushed vs Brushless

I got out voted by my grandsons age 10 and 12. They each want to get a 1/16th Summit. They are paying half and Im paying the other half. I have looked over this forum and it seems the same conflict exists here as the full size Summit over brushed vs brushless. My thinking is to go brushed at first move on to lipos, and let them work their way into a possible mod with the brushless. Money is an issue being the brushless is $100 plus more expensive. $50 bucks to them is a lot, seeing how they make $25 month in allowance. What do you think - brushed vs brushless.

RC Qualifier
    Well I still say this is very bad idea, but truthfully brushless on 2s lipo on these things isn't all that fast. I think brushed would just be boring.

RC Qualifier
    well that is like 35 to 40 mph!

RC Racer
    just go for brushless tell your grand sons that the titan motors die after about 30 runs and you will get a 2.4 radio system.
    Blue 1/16 summit vxl crawler

RC Qualifier
    I would say brushless. I think it would cost about the same, if not more to upgrade later. You also get 2.4 radio, that alone is almost worth the price difference. You could regear, or do a tranny flip to slow them down if they are to fast. Then you could upgrade to lipo's later when they get the hang of it. Just buy some merv driveshafts from the start, they will probably need them.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    well that is like 35 to 40 mph!
    I doubt it, maybe 25-30 mph on the summit. On the mini revo thats probably true.

RC Qualifier
    Are you telling me that you don't get a 2.4ghz transmitter with the brushed? If that is the case, you're right that would almost seals the deal right there. So the brushless with a 2s lipo will go 25 to 30?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Are you telling me that you don't get a 2.4ghz transmitter with the brushed? If that is the case, you're right that would almost seals the deal right there. So the brushless with a 2s lipo will go 25 to 30?
    Right, no 2.4ghz with the brushed. About 25 to 30 mph should be about right. Its pretty fast and should keep the kids entertained until it starts breaking. I would look around for old ones in the box if possible so you get the better radio.

RC Racer
    You could also run the summit in training mode with the brushless motor and as mentioned above, regear and trans gear swap. I did the gear swap, ran the 55t spur and 13t pinion in training mode and I was able to go full throttle and make sharp turns without flipping.

RC Qualifier
    Speed isn't an issue, if a 10 and 12 year old can't handle the full speed of a summit brushless, something is wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like brushless is in our future. With the lipos and 2.4 ghz sounds like the way to go. The boys handle my large Summits fine in high and low gear. We can modify them as we go. That's kinda the whole point is for them to take ownership with partly their money and then figure out what they want from there. Then is how many days of chores they get to perform for grandpa to do the mods. I have lots of trimming, weed pulling and my garage will be spotless. Remember old age and treachery, will beat youth and inexperience any day

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Sounds like brushless is in our future. With the lipos and 2.4 ghz sounds like the way to go. The boys handle my large Summits fine in high and low gear. We can modify them as we go. That's kinda the whole point is for them to take ownership with partly their money and then figure out what they want from there. Then is how many days of chores they get to perform for grandpa to do the mods. I have lots of trimming, weed pulling and my garage will be spotless. Remember old age and treachery, will beat youth and inexperience any day
    Well you need the steel hollow balls and something for the hub carriers immediately. either different hub carriers or the aluminum things that screw into the stock hub carriers. Its insanely sloppy out of the box let alone after a few runs. Maybe I just got a really bad one but I can't believe traxxas actually sells them like this.

Other than that, it should be good and you can just replace the drive shafts as they break with mini revo shafts. If you break just one, you don't have to replace them in sets although it probably would be better.

Oh and check the steering before you run it, I had to take the horn off the servo and reposition it to get the steering anywhere near straight.

RC Qualifier
    My summit only does like 30mph on 2s with stock gearing.

The stampede on the other hand, 50mph easy on 3s

RC Qualifier
    k start off by saying I love my summit jr its fun, but can get costly on repairs, for about the same cash you can get the brushless stampede 2wd (which I have) and I run the snot out of it jumping flipping bashing and it doesn't break much and when it does it is a whole lot easier to work on and fix. Just my two pennies, I just think the summit jr takes a little more care and wrenching them most kids care to do or can afford to keep doing at that age group...again I love my summit jr but when it breaks and I cant run it my pede is always there
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    If they will be primarily driving slow and crawling/trail driving, I would go brushed for them. It has the torque to go slow without cogging like a brushless will. Granted it will be slower, but if trailing/climbing with Gramps will be the majority of their driving, the cogging will be an issue.

If they just want to drive fast and bash, then go brushless.

Yes the brushed only comes with an AM radio, but AM is BETTER if they will be playing in water or being submegerd. Better signal for water use.

The brushed mini, drives more like the big summit then the VXL does.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Qualifier
    BTW, 2x 6-cell nimh`s in series is faster than a 2s or 3s battery.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.