FLM or UE knucklehead shock towers.

Hey guys, a couple of these FLM builds have grabbed my interest...I've been toying with the idea of building one for myself.

FLM or UE knucklehead shock towers?...I've seen that FLM rear shock towers bend from hard bashing (I know you can make a chassis brace to prevent this). How do the UE knucklehreads shock towers hold up to hard bashing and do they bend?

Thanks.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Hey mate, I haven't bent my ue towers yet but haven't really bash it that hard either. I found this thought it might be of interest to you. I like the design of this skid plate. No cut outs for the pins to weaken them and they tie into the bumper brackets for strength.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-maxx-Rear-...item3f0b1d38a3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    Hey mate, I haven't bent my ue towers yet but haven't really bash it that hard either. I found this thought it might be of interest to you. I like the design of this skid plate. No cut outs for the pins to weaken them and they tie into the bumper brackets for strength.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-maxx-Rear-...item3f0b1d38a3
    Hey mate. thanks for posting this. i have those skid plates. i was curious as to length of bumper braces that i need. i got theskid plates with some other e-maxx odds/ends at a garage sale for 5 bucks. they are bent up i little. but i can bend aluminum, lol. peace.
    Last edited by ajcar; 05-23-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, the FLM's bend without a Chassis Brace unfortunately. Cannot comment on UE though as have not tried it, would be good if someone who bashes hard who has UE Towers can comment.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    I don't know aj, I just posted the link,i don't have them. They look like there the same size as stock?

RC Champion
    I don't know aj, I just posted the link,i don't have them. Sorry
    thats ok. i was eyeballing the pic for reference.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Thanks for the link mate...I was just wondering how the UE towers held up to some air bashing...40' jumps with around 10' air.

The only info I have found on the 2 shock towers is from this thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...k-Tower-Debate

Is no one else using UE kock towers?
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Maybe one of the MODERATORS could comment, I remember that Patreus bent his FLM's and went UE's, but I don't know what his conclusion was on if the UE's bent without braces on heavy bashing. His thread has no pics anymore so hard to follow through it.

RC Champion
    UE knuckleheads : thinner, lighter (30g vs 50g), stronger (7075-T6 vs 6061-T6) and cheaper ($44.99 vs $48 for a full set) than FLM shock towers.

I bent the FLM towers very quickly. UE one's hold out great ! I really recommend them

More pics here : http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ight=step+step

RC Champion
    Hey mate, You probably already seen this but this is what I came up with for a set up. UE towers. rpm posts, and a 5/16" alum tube brace tied between the posts close to the tower. It looks like You could probably even connect the brace directly to the tower between the top outer shock holes or tie in with top post holes. The reason I put the braces on like this was because it fit and lined the rpm cross support up nicely to hold the blower extension. I might change it when I get tired of tearing the tires of it on the pavment and turn it back into what it started out as.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-24-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx View Post
    UE knuckleheads : thinner, lighter (30g vs 50g), stronger (7075-T6 vs 6061-T6) and cheaper ($44.99 vs $48 for a full set) than FLM shock towers.

I bent the FLM towers very quickly. UE one's hold out great ! I really recommend them
    Thanks Popoxx, I have studied your thread long and hard already...If I build an eMaxx your thread will sure come in handy for me. I tried to look for your feed back on the UE shock towers but couldn't find it.

Basically I wanted to know if I could use UE shock towers and get away without making a chassis brace to stop the shock towers from bending.

Any recommendations for skid plates?
    Rock n Rolla !

Hey mate, You probably already seen this but this is what I came up with for a set up. UE towers. rpm posts, and a 5/16" alum tube brace tied between the posts close to the tower. It looks like You could probably even connect the brace directly to the tower between the top outer shock holes or tie in with top post holes.
    Cheers mate..Thanks for the info. I am trying to see that if I built an eMaxx if I could get away without making a chassis brace for the shock towers .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Basically I wanted to know if I could use UE shock towers and get away without making a chassis brace to stop the shock towers from bending.
    Yes, it's the screws which hold the shocks in the towers which will bend first.

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Any recommendations for skid plates?
    I would say FLM or Duratrax or RC Driven. I've tested none of these but they are available and made with 6061 or 6061-T6 alu which is enough for skidplates. Protect them with RPM wear plates and you'll be fine.

Most of the aftermarket skids are badly designed because they work as skids and bumpers, which is stupid because you risk to damage the bumpers, the bumper mounts, and probably the bulks. That's why I sawed the edges of the noses of my skids so that they fit behind the bumpers and between the bumper mounts. You can also simply shorten or cut the noses.

Thanks for the info mate...I really appreciate it.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I like the double protection of FLM and RPM.

Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-25-2013 at 07:45 AM.

RC Champion
    I think titanium skids are the way to go. Alum. ones simply bend. The cpm ones are .080 thick and springy. The integy ones are .120 thick and stronger and not as springy. They both have those cut outs on the bend for the hindge pins. NOTE TO ALL YOU SKID PLATE MANUFACTURERS, STOP PUTTING THOSE HINDGE PIN CUTOUTS IN YOUR SKIDS,YOUR WEAKENING THEM! LOL
    If you could find some hardcore racing ti skids that would probably be the ticket. Check out my shock absorbing bumper/skid set up on my backyard project. This seems to work awesome. Will find out soon.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Alum. ones simply bend
    Something has to give up at one point. I prefer to bend a skid plate, than breaking a bulkhead, also if it bends you can bend it back, if it breaks depending of the manufacturer in my case, FLM they will replace it If you build a bulletproof tank, other parts will suffer the damage of the impact, that's what bumpers, and skids are made.

RC Champion
    rc fan, I agree with what your saying. Something has to give. I just got tired of the skids bending up and pushing the bumper into the body. Did you check out my latest project. I think I might have this problem solved with my shock absorbing skid/bumper set up. seems to work good by the palm of the hand test. Very strong but still will push back on impact saving other things.

RC Champion
    Titanium skids bend too unfortunately, that's why I sawed them. Once the skids are properly cut, bumpers and bumper mounts can play their role.

RC Champion
    popoxx, Yes, With out a doubt They all will bend. I just prefer the titanium because it is springy and will rebound back to a point, Where as the alum. will stay bent. BTY Ive checked out a lot of your past build, nice work.

Thanks for all the input guys...I've settled for bulks and shock towers. I just need to give more thought on the skids.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Nice to see the old guard weighing in popoxx, your build is legendary. Glad to hear the UE Towers are up for the challenge, was a tad disappointed in the FLM's after I bent them first go.

I have made skid braces out of a champagne corks, believe it or not, to try prevent my Alum skids bending which have to date been way more successful than I could have hoped.