Thread: Shock upgrade?

RC Qualifier

Shock upgrade?

Are you happy with the stock shocks, or have you upgraded? Lets try to make this a good reference, so please post what you are running, and if it was a direct fit.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    GTR shocks all the way!! the ease of tuning the ride height is just a turn away

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    GTR shocks all the way!! the ease of tuning the ride height is just a turn away
    Assuming you are referring to the new high volume gtr shocks and not revo gtr shocks?

RC poster
    High Volume GTR shocks with the vdc kit and losi spring tuning kit:

1 x Traxxas GTR Shocks Variable Damping Kit (TRA5461)
    1 x Losi Rear Shock Spring Tuning Set (8) (LOSB2963)
    1 x Losi Front Shock Spring Tuning Set (8) (LOSB2959)

Loving the upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    do the losi springs rub on the shock bodies or threads anywhere?

How much difference is there between the GTR's and the BB's? I've never seen the GTR's.

Edit: wait a minute, are these on the Sl4sh ultimate? If so, I have an Ultimate but it's a couple years old.
    Last edited by O.G.; 06-03-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    How much difference is there between the GTR's and the BB's? I've never seen the GTR's.

Edit: wait a minute, are these on the Sl4sh ultimate? If so, I have an Ultimate but it's a couple years old.
    Big Bore shocks are actually smaller than the ultra shocks, but they are aluminum body as opposed to the plastic body ultra shocks. The new high capacity gtr shocks are aluminum body, the caps are plastic though . The new shocks are stated by Traxxas to hold 76 percent more oil, which is believable since they are a 13mm body. They definitely look much heavier duty; I just got mine and will be running them for the first time tomorrow.

I almost went with the D8 shocks as I had an extra set, but decided to go with the Traxxas HC GTR shocks instead. So far, it looks like a good choice as they look well made and look like they will be a nice improvement. They don't look too far off of 1/8 shocks (my D8 shocks are 16mm).

I'm running Sl4sh platinum GTR shocks on my Rally...never tested any others or stock. I really like the GTR shocks...awesome shocks.
    Rock n Rolla !

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I'm running the new Sl4sh LCG GTR's on my Rally. I really dig them. I compare them to Losi Ten-T's. They are near identicle in size and plushness. I would like to pick up some of the springs for them though. I've been running these on my Rally since Oct/ Nov last year, something like that.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I also have the GTR shocks with Losi ten springs....My favorite shock so far...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I have the ultra lx2 1/8 buggy shocks. They are 16mm and look really beefy on the rally. Just recently bent a shaft on these though. It was a terrible crash so it was expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    I have the ultra lx2 1/8 buggy shocks. They are 16mm and look really beefy on the rally. Just recently bent a shaft on these though. It was a terrible crash so it was expected.
    I have that buggy and the shocks are great. I put a set of fronts on the rear of my Slash. I thought they rear shocks were too long for the rear of my Slash. You must have had quite a wreck to bend one of those shocks.
    Last edited by O.G.; 06-06-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I have that buggy and the shocks are great. I put a set of fronts on the rear of my Slash. I thought they rear shocks were too long for the rear of my Slash. You must have had quite a wreck to bend one of those shocks.
    Yeah they are quite long. I shortened them at first but then didn't get enough travel so I now just run them the way they are. I'm gonna do something about it like re-shorten them but not as much. And yeah I failed at an attempted front flip off a jump and landed hard on the rear shock tower. Must've put a huge amount of pressure on the shock and it couldn't handle it. Here's a pic
    I laughed at first but just bent it back and purchased new shafts on eBay.

RC Champion
    As "Yoda" might say... "When like that they look.... not so good they will work"
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

I lowered mine by putting some extra piston shocks along with the blue rubber bushings that are from the outside shaft.

RC Champion
    Nice job there.... Travel limit looks right on for a Rally. Are those Tekno axles?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    Are those Tekno axles?
    yes they are, i'm only using the tekno dogbones and drive cups, the rest are XO-1 parts at the ends.
    I also cut the springs one loop on each one of them.

RC Qualifier
    I converted mine to On-Road using XO-1 suspension pieces. I changed the bodies, valving, & springs to soften it up a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I converted mine to On-Road using XO-1 suspension pieces. I changed the bodies, valving, & springs to soften it up a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AB
    how do you like those blue springs? I have some and its a bit too soft for me that my diffuser scrapes the road so I went with slayer springs (red/green).

RC Qualifier
    I took the blue ones off, stock XO-1, too stiff. I went with green front, & silver rear, a little softer- lets the suspension work better.
    AB

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamZipper View Post
    XO-1 shocks fit the Rally?
    I run the complete XO-1 suspension. My Rally is set up for on-road only, and speed runs. All of the parts are interchangeable. The only changes I made were the blue shock bodies, & softer springs and valving.

AB