Thread: LIPO questions

RC poster

LIPO questions

So I am a new to the LIPO's forgive me if the questions seem stoopid or have been asked before. I have looked around on here for the info but really could not find what I was looking for.
    I have the stock lipos and charger that come with a Summit

Do you have to discharge the batteries everytime?

How do I discharge the batteries?

Do I discharge thru the chargers?
    Last edited by M00DY1; 05-22-2013 at 11:53 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    LiPo has absolutely NO memory... so you don't need to fully discharge before charging, but they do need to be put to storage voltage if not being used for 24+ hours. My personal storage voltage is anywhere between 3.6-3.9 volts per cell if the pack is going to be used within a week... 3.85 volts per cell if the period of non-use is longer than that.

Batteries can be discharged in a few ways... the most fun being in the RC. lol Another would be with a charger that has that capability... which is why I consider it a "must have" feature for a charger. Yet another would be to make a harness that hooks up to some automotive bulbs and also a low voltage alarm set to the proper voltage.

How you discharge with a charger is to have a charger with that feature... once you select "storage mode" the charger will automatically either charge up to 3.8v/cell or discharge down to 3.8v/cell.

The charger that comes with Traxxas RTR's do not have any discharging capabilities.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    No matter wich way you go the balance board is your friend and balance EVERY time. I have 2 Traxxas ez-peak plus charges for my lipos and they are perfect for a lipo owner. Easy to program and use and have balance, charge , and discharge functions.
    Last edited by pro mod steve; 05-22-2013 at 10:19 PM.