Thread: New Bodies

RC Qualifier

New Bodies

Finally picked up my two bodies from my lhs. And must say I'm loving this rat rod body, was gonna do the tire setup that proline has on their site but I'm really diggin the look with the wide tires all around. Yea there is no rear body post or motor in the pics as I'm getting ready to do a complete tear down and rebuild.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

both look cool

RC Racer
    Nice. Cant wait to see what you do...Here is what I did with the Desert Militia.

Paint was Kryptonite Gold.

RC Racer
    loving the look with the green bumpers, what colour scheme are you going to go with?

how about some green push rods too?

RC Qualifier
    Gecko....man I'm loving that color! Saw that up at my lhs the other day and was curious bout it. Might have to get a can or two to have.

Vaas...thanks man. Not sure what the scheme will be yet but will be black and green with silver trim pieces. I actually had those on there at one point when I was waiting for my HR pushrods. Just need to de-annodize my tie-rods and I'll be good.

Will have some progress today or tomorrow have the days off from work.

RC Qualifier
    Well here's the rat rod body painted. Still trying to decide what I want to do with the militia. Thanks for looking.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    looks good, i like it

RC poster
    I've taken my hand at painting a body and it seems like I'm not very good at it. Any tips or tricks to painting a body and it actually turning out decent. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Well I always use some #0 fine steel wool on the bodies except the windows (cause I leave them clear) this helps give the paint a rough surface to adhere to. For my lines I use thin 1/8 or 1/4 inch vinly tape and I also use liquid mask. I have had good luck with both methods. The liquid mask you apply with a paint brush and let dry and use a good sharp hobby knife and cut your straigh lines in the liquid mask or whatever design and than peel away the excess and you'll be left with some sharp crisp lines.
    Another thing I always try to do is start with my darkest color. Main reason I do that is I use some flourescent colors and I always need them to have a white backcoat. There may be other ways to do that but I have found that to be the easiest for me.
    Also I have always trimmed my bodies first before I paint. I have talked to people that trim them after they paint, but I'm always worried that I'm gonna mess the paint up or something. But one thing I do is if the clear protective film is pulled away I just pull it back more and apply some green masking tape to the outside around the edges to keep clean..
    Lastly just take you time. I have had bodies take 8-9 hours between the trimming, masking, and painting. Granted the t.v. is on during that time, so work may be slowed down some..lol...And everything I use to paint besides the actually paint I have gotten from my local Napa store. Any more questions feel free to ask, we are all here to help....

RC poster
    I think my problem was I was trying to do a candy apple red and black and wasnt thinking, so I backed the red with black and well, it ended up being black with a red tint to it. Also it seemed like I was getting like oily spots where the paint wouldn't stay and just form a circle around.

Thanks that was some good info to help me next time I work on a body. I have more I wanna try. I want the high flow proline body for my speed runs and the rat rod for bashing.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-31-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I'm loving it! Nice work on the rat rod, I like the colour scheme
    "With Great Speed Comes Great Repair Bills!"

RC Qualifier
    One thing I forgot is after you trim and sand your edges down make sure wash the body with soap and dish soap. Might be why your getting some spots in your paint from the oil from finger prints.

Thanks hammer.....As much as I hate saying it my rat rob body might be a shelf body. Lol

RC Enthusiast
    Dumb question but here it goes. Do you paint the inside or the outside? I am thinking the inside correct?

RC Qualifier
    Yup paint on the inside. Feel free to ask more, all are here to help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberSTi View Post

Thanks hammer.....As much as I hate saying it my rat rob body might be a shelf body. Lol
    Lol, yeah I have a bashing body and a racing/shelf body. (Bashing body is the stock one, and my shelf body is a green poor graphic slash body)
    "With Great Speed Comes Great Repair Bills!"