Thread: merv knuckles

RC Enthusiast

merv knuckles

Hello everyone I'm gonna tread lightly so hopefully you all understand what I'm talking about. I bought some aftermarket knuckles today at my local hobby shop. The ones notorious for the bearing holes ovaling out. I had to try something new. the slop in my stockers are insane! haha. My problem is I can't find a dang hex wrench small enough to fit the pillow ball caps.. struck out at all my local hardware stores.. I'm gonna go back to my lhs tomorrow and hope they have a driver or something I can buy.. you guys have any tips for me on where I can search for a ultra small hex wrench if I have no luck?

RC Champion
    Look in the airplane section of your LHS. That's where I found mine.It came with some metal bushings I think...and was about $3.(don't remember the brand,sorry).
    I'd take one of the screws with you.

oh...BTW...It's ok to mention RPM here.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Enthusiast
    Check O'Reilly's auto parts. They have a micro bit set near the counter that's like $8 and it has ALL of the bits for stock and aftermarket parts. I have taken my merv apart many times so far with no issues with that set (including the rpm knuckles, lol)

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...&keyword=20154

Sorry, it was $9, lol
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-21-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: merge

so you upgraded to a sloppy part.........

next time try gpm or gh

RC Qualifier
    The size you'll need if I remember correctly is .050 . I know the size is in the little tool set I have that I got thro my lhs, but that was like 25 bucks. That came with a handle and like seven ends that fit in the handle and the ends have a 1/4in end which I love cause I can use my little pistol grip screwdriver with ease....I'll check the brand when I get home but want to say it was Dynamite brand....

RC Qualifier
    2mm or 5/64th" only a couple thousandths difference - made from the same hex stock
    Last edited by photon_trap; 05-22-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys I ended up with a dynamite .050 driver. Found it at my lhs. I was lucky they sold them individually. Cost me 8 bucks or so with handle and bit. Are these knuckels that bad? I have always had good luck with there stuff. I did notice the wheel bearings slide in way easier then the traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    2mm or 5/64th" only a couple thousandths difference - made from the same hex stock
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the pillow balls not the RPM knuckle ball screw thingies -my bad
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    No worrys photon I should of been more clear from the start.

Hey jimbo just curious have you personally owned Merv rpm knuckles? If so how long did they last before they got sloppy on you? I have yet to run mine but almost all my mervs slop is gone.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-23-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    I know i'm not jimbo, but i can say that i owned the rpm knuckles and mine had the infamous ovaling of the pillow ball holes after about 3 runs. i know this def ISN'T the norm, but just stating my experience.

RC Qualifier
    My wife has my old rpm knuckles on her merv, and the pillow balls always pop out the back when she runs into something. The funny thing is, I was being lazy one day and just pushed them back in. Since that day every time she hits something and they pop out, I just pop them back in. Its kinda like having a "fuse" up front so she doesn't break other stuff. But imho the hr knuckles are great. That's what's on my merv, and I haven't had any problems.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    I'm no jimbo either, but 2-3 runs and then the RPMs started being sloppy and popping the balls is my experience too.

The Hot-Racing alloy knuckles lasted me about 3/4 year, then they started the same behaviour, popping the pillow balls.
    The round design facing the pillowballs seem to be the problem, it wears down to much/to fast.

I run GPM alloy knuckles exclusively now. No problems so far. I heard GHs are decent too.

RC Enthusiast
    Well shoot.. sounds like I should of put that money I spent on rpms knuckles somewhere else.. oh well might as well run em and see what happends. Thanks for your input everyone. Now I get to try and decide what brand of knuckles to get ordered in the meantime!

RC Racer
    I think rpm recommends boiling the knuckles in water to get em to return to their original state. You could try that until its unbearable

RC Enthusiast
    I tried that but it didn't work. Unfortunately the hollowing out is usually from wear/tear, and the boiling doesn't fix that. But it never hurts to at least try,