RC poster

Revo 3.3 Antenna Broken

Hi all, as the title suggests, i recently broke my antenna in half. what are my options on going about this to fix it? i still have the other piece of the antenna too.
    Last edited by ayS; 05-21-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Revo 3.3

RC Racer
    Tape it together? Just the plastic right? Not a big deal...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Tape it together? Just the plastic right? Not a big deal...

No quite exactly. i broke the actual wire in half.
    Revo 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    do you have the 2.4ghz? if so, measure the length of the actual wire tip and then peel off about the same length carefully with hobby knife once you peel the black skin behind that is a braided wire loom, cut them carefully also cause behind that is the actual wire.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah.. The digital needs to be exposed... Its a real edit to solder a new one in, but its possible. I just had to do that with my transmitter

Last edited by Double G; 05-21-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: language abuse

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    do you have the 2.4ghz? if so, measure the length of the actual wire tip and then peel off about the same length carefully with hobby knife once you peel the black skin behind that is a braided wire loom, cut them carefully also cause behind that is the actual wire.

yes, i have the nitro revo 3.3 2.4ghz with the telemtry crap on it. luckily i have just enough length with the cable left. i will try to pry off some of the wire to expose the metal and get better reception. so i will need to cut in layers? looks in the picture you posted that there are 3?
    Revo 3.3

Your best bet is call Traxxas support and ask them. Some manufacturers do have replacement antennas. Maybe you could send it in to them and have them replace it. I don't use traxxas radio so I don't know if Traxxas does. But it's not worth the risk trying to fix the antenna and then if you lose radio control at WOT you could do more damage then just buy a new receiver. You can find a new receiver on ebay for around $25.00. So my suggestion is call Traxxas support and ask them.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

Quote Originally Posted by ayS View Post
    yes, i have the nitro revo 3.3 2.4ghz with the telemtry crap on it. luckily i have just enough length with the cable left. i will try to pry off some of the wire to expose the metal and get better reception. so i will need to cut in layers? looks in the picture you posted that there are 3?
    yes you peel them off layer by layer (2 layers), the first one is the black skin then braided loom.

RC Racer
    i just tryed it with one of my receivers that had snapped the antenna after 2 runs and now its like new again,thanks for the tip
    fyi traxxas dont sell a replacement antenna nor do they repair them i emailed them a while back and they said to bin it and buy a new one

RC poster
    I just replaced the whole receiver with a new one. Works again like magic. Thanks everyone for your help!
    Revo 3.3

RC poster
    expose 1/4 inch at a time until you get the distance you use to have. I broke my tip off, couldn't go more then 100ft away, now I exposed about 1/2 inch and it goes farther then when it was new! Saved $25-$30 with a razor blade. Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by whaledragon View Post
    expose 1/4 inch at a time until you get the distance you use to have. I broke my tip off, couldn't go more then 100ft away, now I exposed about 1/2 inch and it goes farther then when it was new! Saved $25-$30 with a razor blade. Works for me!
    LOL, I just save you $$ by doing this tip , glad to here few people are doing what I've done with mine.

RC Racer
    Do what I do. Dont run the kiddy straw that breaks. I use fuel tube and just on the ends use the plastic straw to fit the box and the tip to bend over the wire and use the stock cap. Flexs and never breaks.

Last edited by TeraTreker; 06-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Kyosho Inferno VE Race Spec

Quote Originally Posted by TeraTreker View Post
    Do what I do. Dont run the kiddy straw that breaks. I use fuel tube and just on the ends use the plastic straw to fit the box and the tip to bend over the wire and use the stock cap. Flexs and never breaks.
    2.4ghz don't really need to be that long, I have mine sticking out more than an inch long. the wire tip has to be pointing up inside the tube and not crimp, as what the manual says.

RC Qualifier
    well i tried fixing mine and i cant fix it. It was black wire, hard metal section, and white braided section. I peeled off the white section, braided section, but saw no center core. Now I am like 1/8 of an inch away from the metal section. I guess Il use traxxas replacement plan. This all happened when i started to get reduced range like 60 feet not sure what happened. I just saw the metal piece was bent and i bent it back and no range. Question, when i get my new receiver from traxxas, can i shorten the blue tube to one inch (for better protection on a flip) and itll work and have lots of range or leave it stock length. My tmaxx blue tube is like 2-4 inches long not the longest one with receiver 6518.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah totally. You can shorten it. I've never seen a difference in distance from it sticking out a lot or a tiny bit with any of ny cars. As long as the wire is exposed from the shielding it should be fine though, unless it's broken from the receiver end inside as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    well i tried fixing mine and i cant fix it. It was black wire, hard metal section, and white braided section. I peeled off the white section, braided section, but saw no center core. Now I am like 1/8 of an inch away from the metal section. I guess Il use traxxas replacement plan. This all happened when i started to get reduced range like 60 feet not sure what happened. I just saw the metal piece was bent and i bent it back and no range. Question, when i get my new receiver from traxxas, can i shorten the blue tube to one inch (for better protection on a flip) and itll work and have lots of range or leave it stock length. My tmaxx blue tube is like 2-4 inches long not the longest one with receiver 6518.
    take the metal piece off and start all over again. you should only peel off 2 layer, first the black skin then the braided loom.
    yes you can cut the blue antenna tube a bit shorter, short enough to be inside the body.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 07-11-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |