RC poster

A few ERBE questions!

Hi everyone,

I've had my brushless e revo for about 6 months now and have loved every minute of it. This truck keeps impressing me with its speed, power, handling and durability. Every time something breaks its just an excuse to get stuck in and pull it all apart (and upgrade!). Great stuff. Piecing a video together of it at the moment.

Im new to posting but certainly not new to the site. I have found it a wealth of knowledge so far answering many questions Ive had. However now is the time for me to ask a range of questions that I have not found answers to. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) I would like to increase the trucks turning radius a little more but all links to the Slayden steering mod dont seem to work. I have already installed the included steering stop. Will adding longer steering arms give me the extra throw wanted? If so, a part number for a set would be great!

2) I will be installing some 12v led lights on the truck. What is the best way of powering them? I run both 2s and 3s. Was thinking that when running the 2s lipos I could plug both lipos into the light system via their balance leads. This would give more than 12v but have read that the led's can handle it. Will having the balance ports of each bat connected cause any problem with the batteries themselves?
    When running 3s was thinking of plugging the led lights into one of the lipos balance ports. Would the led's draw enough to create an imbalance between the lipos?
    Im open to any suggestions on this one..

3) Would it be ok to run a ******** 2s 5000mah 35C lipo in series with a ***** 3s 5000mah 40C lipo? I know they are not exactly the same, but they are what I have. My LVC is set to 3.5v and the voltage per cells by the time I get them to my charger are always around 3.79v.

Thats all for now, thanks again in advance for any help!
    Cheers

1. pretty sure you mean to decrease the steering radius, make it turn sharper, lol! Changing the stop and increasing toe-out will get you as far as you can go generally. You can also get aftermarket servo arms and are a bit longer and see if that gets you where you want to be.

2. The best way is going to be using some 6v or close to it LEDs then plugging them into the batt port on the receiver.

3. If you see stars in your post then you need to edit out the names you are trying to use. Most people will tell you that you should only run identical lipos, I wouldn't wander from that advice.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    1)For a greater turning radius, I guess you could lower the end points or reduce the dual rate of your steering channel.

2)For the leds I would run a 12v bec. They have wide range of input voltage and some even have adjustable output voltage.

3)Go for it, your lvc is set high enough. Grab a few of these for more piece of mind.

RC poster
    Yes sorry, was meant to say "reduce" the trucks turning radius. Thank you both for your help!

Its an awesome truck...but if you plan on running 2/3s you will eventually run into diff issues.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    I will be shimming the diffs shortly to hopefully reduce the chances. Got some spare diff parts on the way too. See what happens.
    Have chosen to go for a 12v Bec rated up to 23V and will only run the lights on the 2s setup.
    I have found that with even slightly elevated speeds the turning radius greatly increases, is this just what happens or would a stronger single steering servo tighten up its turning?
    Will have a play with increasing the front wheels toe-out as suggested, thanks.
    Cheers

RC Champion
    What ever you do, don't get power directly from your Lipo's, even if you use the balance leads. If and when from a crash etc the LED wires were to short out you will cause severe battery damage.

Most raw LED's are 3vdc + or - a few tenth's depending on their color. If yours are rated to operate on 12vdc they are 4 wired in series or have current limiting resistors in one leg of each LED.

Do you know if they are wired series or parallel ?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    I think you could find more steering by moving all the upper arm shims behind the arm. Increased? Caster angle? Running the leds on a separate lipo or 9v is kinda blah blah blah. That bec is not rated for 6s input if you want to wire it across your esc input wires and still run man voltage (6s) balanced.

Meet my Copperhead
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...bob+copperhead

edit: Very true, you can buy your own female taps from Maxamps. I was assuming he was using the 12v strip with the sticky back, easy peasy stuff.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 04-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    Stop busting my canards!

1) I would like to increase the trucks turning radius a little more but all links to the Slayden steering mod dont seem to work. I have already installed the included steering stop. Will adding longer steering arms give me the extra throw wanted? If so, a part number for a set would be great!

might help??
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5476493
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Thank you for the steering link. Was exactly what I was looking for.
    I am intending to use either the 12v strips with sticky back or some 12V 1.5w Corn LED's for more light. All are from *********, and have ordered both as they are cheap and Im unsure which would be most suitable.
    If using the LED corn lights I would use one white for each headlight and then 1 (not quite as bright) red for each tail light.

LED corn light
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...ite_2pcs_.html

LED strip
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...d%20high%20den

I have ordered this UBEC
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...arch=12v%20bec

If I do use this UBEC then I would only plug the lights in when running on 4S, but now im reconsidering if their is potential for battery damage if there is a short.
    I want to keep things simple and cheap on this one, but obviously not at the cost of my trucks electronics/batteries.

So what do you reckon?

Sorry BL-Bob not quite understanding your concept. Ideally if there was a way to have the lights running on both 4s and 6s that would be great..

RC poster
    I see those links arnt allowed. Wont do that again, my apologies.

The LED Corn lights are called: LED Corn Light 12V 1.5W (10 LED) - White (2pcs)
    The LED Strip is called: High Density Waterproof LED Flexible Strip - White (1mtr)
    The UBEC is called: 12V 4.5A UBEC 2-5S Lipoly (12-23v)

Cheers
    Last edited by Rich28; 04-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You have some more stars to edit!

Thank you for the steering link

Sure...
    there is time you can click on the edit, next to the "post reply" & delete the *

I like the LVA for my brushed non LVD ESC, & checking volts during storage..

edit thanks to KSB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Q58...layer_embedded
    Last edited by 87 GN; 04-09-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    No problem, check this one out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEC-3A-12V-4...item1e785fe782

4s-8s ubec.

RC Qualifier
    reduce the steering angle by using the inner mount point on the serov horns, also use 2.4gig handset to set end points on the servos (this will be the best option. as it allows you to select the angle you want then saves it then your full turn on the TX will only turn the servos to that point..

cant comment on LEDs, not used them but you can buy ones that use an empty port on the reveiver to power LED's ie port 3+4+5 i think are free. or you can use a splitter if you havent got a free port.

lipos's althought im new to lipo and electric, its always recomended to use the same lipo capacity and C rate with about the same useage, Ie running series 5s you could use a 5000mah 30C 2s along with a 5000mah 30C 3s to make it 5000mah 5s but always ensure they a matching lipo and brands with use, its the safest way but as always you can go at it in you r own way as others do..

RC poster
    Ok so I have decided to get 3V LEDs and will be using a BEC to step down the the 5volts from the receiver to power them. Thank you all for your help this far.

Another thing I am unsure about is my suspension. The truck with 2x 2s lipos bottoms out on the rear when dropped from about 1 and a bit feet onto all fours. My current setup is:

P2 rockers all round
    90 wt shock oil all round
    purple springs rear and blue up front
    #3 VDK all round

I know the truck is meant to bottom out, but from this height? I have read people claiming to drop theirs from 4 feet without bottoming out.

Another thing I am finding is that it tends to bounce back into the air after landing quite a bit on hardish packed dirt so I dont thing the ground is causing the spring. To stiffen up the rear I have experimented with adding preload but this isnt to good for the bouncing, and so I tried very little preload to the point where the trucks half shafts were a little below horizontal at the diff ends. The bouncing did improve a bit, but the trucks ground clearance was poor and it bottomed out easier on the rear. I have tried preload settings in between these with similar results.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Rich28; 04-13-2013 at 01:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321082488430...84.m1439.l2649
    I have 20 of these on the front. They are virtually indestructible and they are BRIGHT!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC poster
    Any help with my shock setup?

RC Qualifier
    90wt seems a little thick to me

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Rich28 View Post
    Any help with my shock setup?
    My setup:
    P2 rockers
    Black Front Pink Rear with 60wt shock oil.
    I set my preload by pushing my truck to the ground, if springs fully compress I back off preload...if not fully compressed increase preload. Quiet a few of us set preload this way. My truck doesn't bounce much on big jumps.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Cool thanks will give that a go

RC poster
    Can I wire a 12v output UBEC across the positive and negative leads of the ESC (at the battery plug ends) to power my 12v LED lights?

RC Champion
    You can do that but I wouldn't..... A Short in the wiring at that point could cause severe damage to the battery(s). I would plug it into the battery output on the receiver.

If you did want to connect it to the ESC I would suggest putting a 1 or 2 amp fuse inline with one leg (positive) of the UBEC as a precaution.

Just my thoughts.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis