RC Qualifier

Center diff eliminates the clicking

Apologies if this has been reiterated in other posts, but just an fyi to others, if you are looking to prevent/eliminate the clicking sound, invest and install the traxxas center diff.

It will stop the ability to wheelie which is basically what causes the diff ring gear and pinion to strip. (And honestly, who continues to wheelie after they've stripped their first ring gear )

Even after shimming, I would still strip ring gears, but not a single one since I installed the center diff.

The trade off is I lose some mph with the diff, but its a fair tradeoff
    Last edited by varunaX; 05-20-2013 at 10:44 AM.

RC Champion
    What weight oil are you using?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    50k traxxas oil

RC Champion
    I might try that in my Summit. Giving it a few last tries before selling it off and trying another 1/16 platform.
    / 16

RC Enthusiast
    No, a center diff will not eliminate stripped diffs, though it will make them last longer.
    You should at least shimm your diffs after running the car in, or get aluminum bulkheads, which after shimming, almost eliminates the stripped diffs.

Also, I'm using 100k fluid in my middle diff and have no problems doing standing backflips.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I could still wheelie with 50k in my center.

jrmbtr:
    There is no point in selling off a 16th to get a 16th if they are both Traxxas... they all share 90+% of the parts. It would be cheaper to convert what you have.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I could still wheelie with 50k in my center.

jrmbtr:
    There is no point in selling off a 16th to get a 16th if they are both Traxxas... they all share 90+% of the parts. It would be cheaper to convert what you have.
    I probably wouldn't. I'd maybe look at a mini 8ight. I'm still making mods to the Summit though so I hope I can keep it all TRX. My next thing will actually be lighter and smaller tire sets to ease things up; but not sure if that's a help if the MERVs are still problematic. I did pick mine up used though, so I'm hoping previous abuse is to blame.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    i'm planning to get one of these too, whatever will keep the diff together longer than 2 weeks.