RC poster

I want to buy an XO-1. Any problems I should know about?

Hey guys, The XO-1 has been tempting me for a long time. I have a Stampede 2wd and an
    Erevo Brushless Edition and I like them. However, I've had to do some upgrades with the Erevo because in reality it cannot handle 6s lipo without the crappy plastic driveshaft and axles
    breaking.

I like the fact that the XO-1 comes with 3s lipos included and I don't mind buying an Ipod Touch for the radio. For all of you here who owns an XO-1, I'd like to know how the car handles, and
    if there are any issues with it? This is already an expensive kit and I don't want to spend money on upgrading parts to get it to run as it's advertised by Traxxas, as I've had to with my Erevo.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Blubbee; 05-20-2013 at 02:28 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubbee View Post
    Hey guys, The XO-1 has been tempting me for a long time. I have a Stampede 2wd and an
    Erevo Brushless Edition and I like them. However, I've had to do some upgrades with the Erevo because in reality it cannot handle 6s lipo without the crappy plastic driveshaft and axles
    breaking.

I like the fact that the XO-1 comes with 3s lipos included and I don't mind buying an Ipod Touch for the radio. For all of you here who owns an XO-1, I'd like to know how the car handles, and
    if there are any issues with it? This is already an expensive kit and I don't want to spend money on upgrading parts to get it to run as it's advertised by Traxxas, as I've had to with my Erevo.
    Thanks.
    It really depends on who you talk to as far as what upgrades you should do! Most will say that the sloppiness in the steering is an issue and that would need to be addressed. Slack in all the A arms should be addressed too but that you can do with washers. Most change out the rear diff fluid to help it from breaking loose so bad. Most upgrade the shocks and or springs due to the softness of them and how it likes to roll a lot. Some hate the stock esc because you have to unlock it and they switch it out to the Mamba XL2 esc which is more user friendly and it can handle up to 8S. Some will change out the pinion gear to from the metal one to a plastic nylon one to be more easier on the motor. Some will even go as far as changing out all the bearings on the whole XO-1 even the motors bearings. Some will even go as far as to balancing the tires to get better speeds. Most will add a heat sink and fan to the motor to help keep the temps down. At the end of the day you "should" do some things to help it performance wise and help it to go straight but most are just optional things that people do to build something the way the want it. Some are more picker than others too. If you want to do nothing to it that is fine as well just be care full in how you drive it. If you think these are easy to handle just watch videos on YouTube and you will find out REAL fast that these can get out of control in a heart beat! Even doing every mod i just listed does not mean you will not crash it because time is against you with it and you will crash it at some point. It is just like my crotch rocket, it is not if i get into an accident, it is only when! Do what ever you think will be the best for you and just roll with that. Not just one person is going to be right on everything! Some have wayyyyyyyy more experience than others and have done all what i just listed above and still crash there's. I have the Kershaw design with the Leopard motor and it is like going from a Yugo to a crotch rocket. Fast and out if control! I have done almost everything listed above and keeping it staight is still an issue with mine! These are very hard to keep straight and the slightest movement in the controller will send it crashing. With four wheel drive it turns on a dime and at high speeds this is not good!! Over correcting is very easy to do and with it going so fast that means trouble! Now on a positive not these are a lot of fun and not to many get the chance to even own one, so if you can afford it you are already one step up on most! They are fun to drive and are very addictive to drive because of the speed and the power that they have! it is with out a doubt a head turner! Just always remember to keep you wallet close by you in case you crash.

RC Racer
    I haven't had mine that long but, I haven't found anything that I really feel the need to change. I don't plan to push 100 often. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it needs really smooth pavement to handle well. Not to say you can't drive it on rough pavement, its just the sound of the chassis smacking and scrapping the pavement that hurts my ears . Just know it will be on road only, but it seems like you have offroad already covered.

RC Qualifier
    Ive had my XO-1 for about 6 weeks. I absolutely love it. I have owned almost every truck that Traxxas makes, so getting the XO-1 was just a matter of time.

Im not a speed freak - I dont care if I ever see 100MPH. To risk my car crashing at 100MPH is just not worth it to me. Id rather see my XO-1 never crash, and drive stable at 50MPH to 70MPH and enjoy it throughly.

Im an old RC Heli guy - and it used to make me laugh that guys at the flying field would brag that they can get their heli to do an 80MPH fly by - but crash it everytime, and would make fun of me doing 60MPH fly bys - but I never crashed...

If you want your XO-1 on the bench more than on the road - then go nuts - some guys like tinkering / fixing / building more than driving - and more power to them. I buy cars/trucks to drive them...not repair them, not (severely) upgrade them, not look at them in pieces on my bench - and thats why I just drive it.

Some advice to get you started:

If you have them, start driving the XO-1 with dual 2S Lipos - so you can get used to how the XO-1 drives, turns, performs etc. Its not a car you want to "get used to" with 6S lipos doing 60MPH. I had a Stampede and still own an E-Revo Brushless (love it) - the XO-1 is VERY different than both of those trucks. Then, after a few runs, then maybe install one 2S Lipo and one 3S lipo (5S) and then get used to it some more. With 6S lipos and the XO-1 "LOCKED" it will only get up to 50MPH (+/-)...but even at that speed, you have to get used to the steering and handling.

Just my .02 cents.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Enthusiast
    Then, after a few runs, then maybe install one 2S Lipo and one 3S lipo (5S) and then get used to it some more
    When connected in a series or parallel connection, batteries should be identical. Using batteries with different numbers of cells in these types of connections is not a good idea.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler2474 View Post
    When connected in a series or parallel connection, batteries should be identical. Using batteries with different numbers of cells in these types of connections is not a good idea.
    Well this pro here is using 7S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Fa...item20d4c6083e

RC poster
    One part I keep replacing is the tyres... They keep wearing out! The xo1 dr[B]fts very nicely.

RC Racer
    I'm still on my first set of tires. Drive it around lots but no bashing though

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler2474 View Post
    You can run different cell count Lipo packs but they need to have the same credentials (meaning they need to match). Ex. same mah, same "c" rating, and highly recommend same brand. The cell count doesnt matter at all.

What you can run:
    A 2S 5000mah 25c (SPC) and a 3S 5000mah 25c (SPC) can both be run in series to get the 5S cell count.

What you can't run:
    A 2S 5000mah 25c (brand "A") and a 3S 6500mah 35c (brand "B")
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore