RC Competitor

Single 700HO vs Dual 700HO

My Titan is starting to burn out. the truck is starting to slow down, all the drivetrain and bearigns are still smooth and free. I can only assume its the motor starting to fail. cost aside what your experience with either the Kershaw single 700HO or dual 700HO. I have one Summit with the dewalt so that isn't a concern. I'm interested in a little more power/speed above the Titan with out going Brushless. I'm using SPC 8200 7.4v 50c LiPo's.

RC Champion
    Does it have the same behaviour with different batteries?

I would go with a single. Less to go wrong. Less weight up high. Longer run time. Definitely less breakage.

RC Qualifier
    I believe the 700HO motor is no different to the Titan, the builds are also the same eg. no replaceable brushes
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Competitor
    Thanks for your opinions, but I was hoping someone that uses the motor or motors could chime in. I don't think the 700HO is the same as a Titan according to the Kershaw website

It has a couple more windings and a few degrees of timing added, for some more rpm but is pretty much the same motor. The last one I installed for someone had the brush wires coming from inside the can they were pretty small gauge and did not inspire confidence in me. That being said the Dewalt will take more gearing than a Kershaw 700 any day all day.JMO
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    Dewalt all the way
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    They even have a dual DeWalt if you want more. I only have a single DeWalt but I like it.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Competitor
    talk about a hardcore Dewalt following - for some reason my friends Summit has more power and speed. We are running the same batteries, gearing, traxxas evx2 and 775. tires are geodes on stock rims on both trucks. Her truck has a Parma Grave Digger body and Mine is the Stock white body. (the White ones are supposed to be the fastest right ) I cant say the difference is in the weight of the bodies. And all the bearings turn smooth. Has to be the motor right?

RC Champion
    Motor, batteries, different torque on the slipper. Could be any of them, Or driver.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

Motor is my guess.is one older than the other?
    The dewalts seem to get better after a bit of running.brushes being seated better allows more power transfer.
    Same goes for the 775.that could be the difference but as maxi said there are a few factors that could be playing a part

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 05-20-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by bwill11 View Post
    talk about a hardcore Dewalt following - for some reason my friends Summit has more power and speed. We are running the same batteries, gearing, traxxas evx2 and 775. tires are geodes on stock rims on both trucks. Her truck has a Parma Grave Digger body and Mine is the Stock white body. (the White ones are supposed to be the fastest right ) I cant say the difference is in the weight of the bodies. And all the bearings turn smooth. Has to be the motor right?
    White ones are without question the fastest. Speed with any of the motors depends a lot of break-in and wear.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    well, my truck is definetly older, batteries are the same down to the amount of charge/discharge cycles. I have the heavy duty aluminum pad slipper clutch, hers is stock. I did have to tighten her slipper clutch a bit after she started using the LiPo's. probably due to the 50c discharge rate. even when i get a head start in a drag race, her truck catches mine with no problems. I'm 100% sure its the motor. I haven't raced her with the dewalt equipped truck, it doesn't have any kind of L.V.C or alarm yet. So what I'm picking up is the 700HO isn't worth the money? I guess another dewalt is in my future. I might buy the setup from Kershaw to save some effort on my part. I like the motor adapter thats included http://www.kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo...Conversion.htm . Beats a few stacked up washers. Not sure about their harness though.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bwill11 View Post
    well, my truck is definetly older, batteries are the same down to the amount of charge/discharge cycles. I have the heavy duty aluminum pad slipper clutch, hers is stock. I did have to tighten her slipper clutch a bit after she started using the LiPo's. probably due to the 50c discharge rate. even when i get a head start in a drag race, her truck catches mine with no problems. I'm 100% sure its the motor. I haven't raced her with the dewalt equipped truck, it doesn't have any kind of L.V.C or alarm yet. So what I'm picking up is the 700HO isn't worth the money? I guess another dewalt is in my future. I might buy the setup from Kershaw to save some effort on my part. I like the motor adapter thats included http://www.kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo...Conversion.htm . Beats a few stacked up washers. Not sure about their harness though.
    I have bought 3 of the Dewalt 820 conversion kits from Kershaw. All 3 have performed very well. The wiring harness was easy to install, being able to remove the brushes makes the connector very secure. I have used the 14t, 16t, 19t and 21t pinions to determine what I need for my needs. The 14t was sluggish, the 16t is great for me, a little faster than stock and still way better low end than the stock motor. The 19t was great, even faster and the low end was great. The 21t is even faster but the low end was a little lacking for me. I saw on another thread to watch out for heat on the higher gears. Kershaw also has the LVC alarms.

I would use a dremmel and make the opening of the motor mount big enough to get the pinion gear through it. It makes mounting and changing pinions very easy. You can release the motor from the mount and have direct access to the set screw in the pinion gear. be sure and use blue thread lock on the set screws, I lost one when i didn't use it.

RC Champion
    Don't think age of the motor really has anything to do with it. My summit is 6 months or older the gf a few months old. Right from day 1 mine is way faster. I can pull away from her like she is standing still. A lot of factors can make a difference. Different manufacturing days could mean a slight difference in brush compound, internal compounds on the armature, wound with just a slight difference in placement of the wind. I know when I was using brushed motors years ago just changing out the brushes made a huge diff in performance.

RC Competitor
    I wasn't sure if the Kershaw kit was a good deal being $60, When i can get a motor for around $30. But with the harness, choice of pinion, machined spacer, and the pressed on gear removed it may be worth it. I'm going to swap My Dewalt into the truck that can run LiPo just to see the difference. Thanks for everyones input.

RC Champion
    just a shoot in the dark but are your throttle end points even/maxed?

and the 700ho motor is a little bit diffrent then people say....its a five pole(maybe thats the 550 motor will have to check)
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    I have never tried to adjust end points. I did reset the radio back to factory settings though. I'm just going to by another
    Dewalt, either from Kershaw or another online source. Thanks for everyone's input.