RC poster

Stampede vs T-maxx?

Hello all,

This is my first post and I've never owned a RC Nitro truck before so bare with me lol. I know this has been discussed before so my apologies if its a repeat thread.

2 of my friends recently purchased the nitro stampede 2X4 RTR and have talked me into buying a nitro truck. But now I'm stuck wondering should I get the stampede like they have or get the T-maxx 2.5 4X4 RTR. At the hobby shop that I've been looking at the t-maxx is only $80 CAD more than the stampede but where it will be my first nitro truck I'm not sure which I should go with. I know people have said there's less maintenance with the stampede.

My friends have also told me that I should get the stampede as well so we can purchase and exchange spare parts if needed. (the hobby shop is out of town so all our parts and supplies have to be ordered online) Also, I know the rc trucks have seperate channels but if we are driving 3 stampedes around at the same time will there be any interference? I have no idea what channels theirs is on and I don't have much to choose from at the hobby store.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

I would say if you go with the stampede get a 2.4 system in there its alot better than the old AM 27 radio gear. The rx box from an electric rustler or stampede will work just make a mounting plate for it and your good to go then. The nitro stampede is alot of fun and doesnt break too easy well atleast mine didnt.
    the tmaxx is a nice truck too and can go more places keep that in mind too,
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    If the Stampede's have the .15 engine the T-Maxx 2.5 will have more power. If the Pede's have the 2.5 they will be faster because it's lighter. 4x4 will give you more control and go places the 2wd's will get stuck. But the 4x4's have more to break and are more complicated to work on. It just depends on what you want most out of your truck.

RC Champion
    I've had both trucks. The nitro stampede is lots of fun and is very durable. The tmaxx requires a few upgrades out of the box but is waaay more offroad capable than the Npede

RC poster
    I guess the worst thing is that I don't really know what I want out of a truck. A year ago I never even thought about getting one, its only recently that a few friends picked them up and started building tracks and taking them to sand pits etc. So they have talked me into it. I'm leaning towards the stampede because its what they have, seems to be a real good and fun truck for a first timer and if I break something my friends have parts I could use until I order other parts online. The pede that they all have is the .15 engine I do believe and the t-maxx I was looking at was the 2.5 for around $80 more

I do like the idea of having a 4X4 one in the t-maxx tho, more fun, more power, more places to go but whats the point if my truck can go places that my friends trucks cant.

Also, another friend is thinking about getting one too... how many of these nitro trucks can you have going around at the same time before theres interference from other controllers?

RC Qualifier
    I have seen over 30 going at once with no problems, all with the newer 2.4 radios. The .15 engine is probably the best Traxxas motor to learn to tune with. You'll learn to make it run right instead of always looking for more power. Just about the time you really start to get the tuning down, it will be time for a new motor. By then you'll be ready for more power, and you can take advantage of Traxxas's trade up program. Get an engine mount and trade up for half the price of equal powered engines. The 2.5 has 60% more power than the .15 and the 3.3 has 60% more than the 2.5. You can choose just how much power you want when the time comes.

RC Qualifier
    get the tmaxx 3.3 your friends will want one too and they will copy u and they will want a tmaxx 3.3 too.

which upgrades for tmaxx 3.3 are needed?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-21-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Lol, I thought I had it figured out that I was just going to go with the stampede just to get what the other boys had. But after talking to the hobby shop they basically recommended that if I can afford the extra $80 that I should get the t-maxx and not to worry that I'm a N00b at this and its a level 3. lol.. now I'm back to square one I guess.

RC Racer
    Go with the t maxx. It has 4 wheel drive which will get you out of most muddy, snowy, or icy situations without you having to go get your truck because it's stuck. As far as your radio issues go just get a 2.4 ghz system and you wont have to worry about it. You can find used and new traxxas systems on e bay for relatively cheap. Hope that helps.

RC Qualifier
    youll love the tmaxx 3.3 it has lots of power and can climb over a curb

RC poster
    i got a revo 3.3 and a nitro stampede but i prefer the revo as it can go any where and goes faster than stampede

RC Champion
    LOL dilligaf^^.

RC Qualifier
    when u get the tmaxx 3.3 you have to adjust the end points of the steering so that the wheels dont hit the steering toe links, adjust using the transmitter. also youll need to adjust the throttle and brake end points so that the servo is not trying to open up the carb more once its already wide open, same with the brake.

RC poster
    Thanks for all the posts everyone!! After calling around to a few hobby shops near my town I finally bought the 2.5 T-maxx classic as my first nitro truck. All the hobby shops I called had to special order the Stampede and the 3.3 was a little outside my budget right now. They had a sale on the 2.5 so I jumped on it.. now I wait for my order to get in

Looking forward to giving this hobby a try now. Thanks again!

Pick up some extra glow plugs, fuel, for yourself. You said your friends have trucks already so you have a lot covered with tools and such. Over in the tmaxx there is tons of info on your truck And great people to help you out if need be. Welcome to the forum and the hobby.
    DEU 8:18 ESV