Thread: Bell clutch

RC Racer

Bell clutch

Ok. So what bell clutch is everyone using? I upgraded from the stock one to the upgrade, and I am now trying the integy 3shoe clutch. I want this thing to grab hard off the line. And yes I also upgraded the slipper clutch. With a 40t spur and stick bell.

RC Qualifier
    Clutch bell or the clutch? Changing the clutch bell to a lower gear ratio will help with hard launches. Two shoe clutches are better for getting the power to the wheels on take off. The 3 shoe clutch I have has a different spring on each shoe, each one progressively stronger to lesson the grab on take off for more control. The two shoes come out at the same time for maximum grab. I hear good things about the MIP clutch, but I use the stock one most of the time. It hasn't given me any trouble and grabs good. My three shoe I use at the track to help reduce wheel spin on the extra loose dirt.

RC Champion
    My recomendation would have to be as follows. First off, Get a BUKU clutch, Second buy a new Vented Clutch bell. For your application I would recommend 14/40 for solid launches. A Buku will hit like a sledgehammer when set correctly. And a BUKU will last nearly forever. Plus it is the ONLY track side tunable clutch that doesnt need removed from the car to tune.
    I am sure several long time bashers/racers will agree, BUKU is the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    Is it a three shoe and can you adjust each shoe independently? And it almost sounds like you're saying you can adjust it through the vent holes on the clutch bell.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Is it a three shoe and can you adjust each shoe independently? And it almost sounds like you're saying you can adjust it through the vent holes on the clutch bell.
    The buku is adjusted thru the flywheel. All 3 shoes adjust independantly. I will get a pic and post it.

RC Champion
    The BUKU on 18tm.

As you can see it has kevlar pads. This clutch has seen about 2 gallons of fuel. Still looks new other than the slight carbon build up on the face of the shoes. Carb and Choke cleaner cleans it right up. This engine will be installed on the Slutsler as a back up to the already installed 18tm/buku set up.

RC Racer
    So by the sounds of it, for bashing get rid of the 3 shoe clutch and put the stock back in. Thanks guys. After I put the integy 3 shoe clutch in it did seem pretty sluggish off the line.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcisaacracing View Post
    So by the sounds of it, for bashing get rid of the 3 shoe clutch and put the stock back in. Thanks guys. After I put the integy 3 shoe clutch in it did seem pretty sluggish off the line.
    Get a BUKU and do whatever you want to it. 2 shoes clutches are junk due to the retaining spring rusting. 3 shoe integy is junk due to cheap aluminum that can melt under tourque. A completely tunable 3 shoe is the only way to go. Bashing, racing, whatever you can throw at it, it will handle with ease.

RC Racer
    The only problem is knowone around here sells the buku clutch and I don't order stuff online. So stock it is I guess.

RC Champion
    Stock clutches are fine. Cheap and easy to keep an extra or two.

RC Racer
    Robinsen racing makes a nice slipper pad clutch that works great for me

RC poster
    What I found to work real good use the 4146x spring with aluminum 2 piece shoes.scant west them out and hooks solid fast..
    What I need to know is how to keep from eating up clutch bearings...any help ????